Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did Christianity start?

Credits

Where did Christianity start?

I know it seems like an easy question....but I have one other question. For all those who saw the Mel Gibson movie "Passion"...they were speak Aramic (spelling?) which is or was spoken in Ethopia...which would mean Christianity is linked there.....??

Credits
    no not an easy question at all
    I would like to see some of the answers
    1 thing i do know is it didnt begin with CHrist

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotgirl11226
    I know it seems like an easy question....but I have one other question. For all those who saw the Mel Gibson movie "Passion"...they were speak Aramic (spelling?) which is or was spoken in Ethopia...which would mean Christianity is linked there.....??
    The language of Jesus was Aramaic...

The language spoken in Ethiopia is Amharic...

Quote Originally Posted by saveoursoca
    no not an easy question at all
    I would like to see some of the answers
    1 thing i do know is it didnt begin with CHrist
    Really? Then who did CHRISTianity begin with?

Credits
    SOS, Bakes, it's a matter of definition. I hinted at it in another post, but I'll put my supposition here as well. The term Chrstian is used post the birth of the Messiah. But the scope broadens if we can use the definition to state that a Christian is a believer in the Messiah. Today we would say, a follower of Christ, which restricts the faith in Christ in my view. In this way, believers in Christ in the OT looked toward the cross, forward to the coming Saviour. Whereas, we look back to the cross, but forward to the returning Saviour.

Credits
    why is no one mentioning Constantine ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotgirl11226
    Christianity started where people started promoting the faith.
    The first Christianity started during and after jesus life, in Jerusalem. Then you have Paulanism or mainstream Christianity, which starts in Damascus and the nabatean kingdom supposedly.

Credits

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Simon
    why is no one mentioning Constantine ?
    Because christianity did not start with him.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban
    Because christianity did not start with him.
    Nobody ent mention him because it's not relevant. Your fingers need exercise or sumting?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Agony
    SOS, Bakes, it's a matter of definition. I hinted at it in another post, but I'll put my supposition here as well. The term Chrstian is used post the birth of the Messiah. But the scope broadens if we can use the definition to state that a Christian is a believer in the Messiah. Today we would say, a follower of Christ, which restricts the faith in Christ in my view. In this way, believers in Christ in the OT looked toward the cross, forward to the coming Saviour. Whereas, we look back to the cross, but forward to the returning Saviour.
    Agony

Ot believers looking to the messiah yes but to the cross no I dont agree with that part

Also the use of the word Christian Didnt come into play until after Christ departed. He never mentioned anything of the sort. Neither did his followers

Credits
    [QUOTE=Bake n Shark]The language of Jesus was Aramaic...

Really? Then who did CHRISTianity begin with?[/QUOTE]

If i knew I would have posted it. I know when the term was first used and it wasnt by Christ or any of his followers and It isint what Christ was preaching. He wasnt preaching a religion.

Credits
    Agony

Ot believers looking to the messiah yes but to the cross no I dont agree with that part
    I used the cross figuratively, as a pivotal event, a marker, between forward and back. Not necessarily to mean that all believers in the coming Messiah knew specifically that He would be crucified.

Also the use of the word Christian Didnt come into play until after Christ departed. He never mentioned anything of the sort. Neither did his followers. Agreed.

Credits
    [QUOTE=saveoursoca]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake n Shark
    The language of Jesus was Aramaic...

Really? Then who did CHRISTianity begin with?[/QUOTE]

If i knew I would have posted it. I know when the term was first used and it wasnt by Christ or any of his followers and It isint what Christ was preaching. He wasnt preaching a religion.
    So because 'Christianity' was used by Christ means that it wasn't around during his time? Is there anywhere in the bible where Christ uses the term 'Judaism' or 'Toothache'? Stop being so literal pardna...yuh just limiting the reaches of your intellect.

Christianity as a body of knowledge, as a distinct and discreet theology didn't exist in any such manner when Christ walked the face of the earth, but it certainly started with him and evolved...and continues to evolve in minor increments with time.

I fail to understand how you can say that Christ did not preach Christianity...while conceding that he also wasn't preaching a religion. Christ was a teacher, not a preacher and he simply sought to bring enlightenment to Jews, vis-a-vis there relationship with God. He clearly thought that acceptance of him as Lord and Saviour was THE path to Heaven...and that is the founding tenet of Christianity, everything was fleshed out later on.

Credits
    Well one could argue that Messianism is the origin of Christianity. And with the coming of jesus, it was what many messianists/christians saw a fulfillment of their prophecies. You could even say many jews are Christians that do not beleive Jesus was the kristos. Unless they are jews for Jesus.

Credits
    [QUOTE=Bake n Shark]
    So because 'Christianity' was used by Christ means that it wasn't around during his time? Is there anywhere in the bible where Christ uses the term 'Judaism' or 'Toothache'? Stop being so literal pardna...yuh just limiting the reaches of your intellect.

Christianity as a body of knowledge, as a distinct and discreet theology didn't exist in any such manner when Christ walked the face of the earth, but it certainly started with him and evolved...and continues to evolve in minor increments with time.

I fail to understand how you can say that Christ did not preach Christianity...while conceding that he also wasn't preaching a religion. Christ was a teacher, not a preacher and he simply sought to bring enlightenment to Jews, vis-a-vis there relationship with God. He clearly thought that acceptance of him as Lord and Saviour was THE path to Heaven...and that is the founding tenet of Christianity, everything was fleshed out later on.
    This is part of my point. Terms such as Judaism, christianity ect are misleading and have turned meaning of scripture upside down.
    Instead of people reading the book and finding out the Jews are a birthright not a religion as the world puts it we go with it as a religion.
    same thing with Christ
    How many Christians do u know that say that Christ wasnt preaching a religion, or Christianity isint a religion? But when we read the book we see he was defianately a teacher showing as u say the Jews they way to God. Gentiles came into the picture later but all have to go through Christ which is true.

I dont think the evolution as u call it is of Christ. The preaching of the cross the wars the crusades were not of Christ teachings but man who used Christ name to justify their beliefs.
    The world has taken Christ and made him into a religion with sects and branches etc when he is no such thing.There is one way to serve him not denominations, as what christianity is. Christ is not divided.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo
    Well one could argue that Messianism is the origin of Christianity. And with the coming of jesus, it was what many messianists/christians saw a fulfillment of their prophecies. You could even say many jews are Christians that do not beleive Jesus was the kristos. Unless they are jews for Jesus.
    u are also making the jews to be a religion.
    Was Christ a jew or a christian?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast