Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking communion when you are....

Credits

Taking communion when you are....

not catholic....has anybody done that??

someone just came asking me about my parish and if their kid can start going there in order to take first communion.. the kid is like 12.. so it's kinda late for that.. unless they do rcia or something.. and the next thing is that they arent even catholic but they attend a catholic school i guess so i dunno..

would they have to convert or just throw out this idea altogether..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Well, the Lord's Supper/Communion is a Christian ordinance. Depending on the branch of the faith, communion is open to all believers in Christ. That may be why the individual figured it may be possible. However in Catholicism, I don't believe communion is open. It's best that they consult Catholic clergy.

Credits
    ppl use to do dat shit all de time when i went to school, not suppose to happen, but dats life. ever since catholic school government funded, is free for all smh.

Credits
    yea i know you are not supposed to take communion if you arent catholic.. and in other churches you shouldnt do it either..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    yea i know you are not supposed to take communion if you arent catholic.. and in other churches you shouldnt do it either..
    No, that is not true for other churches. Plenty other branches of the faith have open communion, not closed. Because it is a Christian ordinance, it is open to all Christians. Catholics and a few other branches are the exceptions.

Credits
    Once you have an understanding of the Eucharist and subscribe to the belief that you are actually taking in a part of the Lord...I see no issue.

Poca
    During christ days there weren't any catholics, protestants and others...
    anyway, is it writing in the bible that it is something that people must do, or is it a tradition that some people came up with? I know the jesus had communion with his disciples before he was crucified, but was it meant for others to follow it?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Poca View Post
    During christ days there weren't any catholics, protestants and others...
    anyway, is it writing in the bible that it is something that people must do, or is it a tradition that some people came up with? I know the jesus had communion with his disciples before he was crucified, but was it meant for others to follow it?
    "do dis in memory of me"....but aside from dat technically u aint even suppose to take communion if u have not gone to confession first.

Credits
    hmm good question poca.. this is what i got somewhere

Some people may enjoy attending Mass but do not practice the Catholic faith. The Catholic Church is happy to see people of different faiths attending, but they do request, most often in the service, that only Catholics participate in the Communion portion of the service. To take Communion when one is not Catholic feels like a violation of the sacred nature of the Communion Host to practicing Catholics.

This may seem a little strange to non-Catholics, who wonder why it matters. A practicing Catholic would respond that it matters because of the spirit in which one takes Communion. Catholics believe that Communion is literally the body of Christ, transformed from bread by the priest presiding over the service. For Catholics, to accept the body of Christ when not believing it to be such is sacrilegious and heretical.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    and bk is right.. you are supposed to take communion in a "State of grace".. and while other christian branches believe that communion is symbolic of christ's body and blood, catholics believe that it IS christ's body and blood ..

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Poca
    shouldn't the priest be more worried about all the pain he is causing by playing in those little boys and girls underwear?

Credits
    shouldn't the priest be more worried about all the pain he is causing by playing in those little boys and girls underwear?
    why would u have to say something like dis to derail de thread? has absolutely nuhn to do wit de topic

Credits
    what does this have to do with that? i'm asking about somebody wanting to recieve the sacrament when they arent catholic... it's like somebody wanting to buy aka paraphenlia when they arent skeewee-ing

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Poca
    lr's response said this: To take Communion when one is not Catholic feels like a violation of the sacred nature of the Communion Host to practicing Catholics. For Catholics, to accept the body of Christ when not believing it to be such is sacrilegious and heretical

to me catholics have more serious things to worry about than non-catholic taking communion.

anyway, i have to run.

Credits
    OK, come on Poca...

to me catholics have more serious things to worry about than non-catholic taking communion.

anyway, i have to run.
    Maybe so but the question is a valid one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast