Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 137

Thread: Shango Tambore

  1. #1
    aka Karl Logan kevlocks's Avatar kevlocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Casamance
    Posts
    13,162
    Credits
    59,460

    Exclamation Shango Tambore

    So I went to two Tambores for Shango yesterday. For those of you who don't know, a Tambore is a celebration in which praise is given to a specific deity of whomever is throwing the event. The woman who was throwing the event was of Santeria, but she invited everyone in the area to share in the celebration, including those (like myself) who are still trying to find there way.

    The event bought out some people here in the DC Metro area that are some heavey hitters within the faith. I counted several Babalows (could've been more, since I didn't know everyone there) and Iyanifas there, which is always a blessing.

    The event started off with offerings to Shango (before I go any further, an offering does not mean a dead animal in every single case. In my case, i brought two apples and two coconuts) followed by prayers which was then followed by some REALLY good music played on both the Congos and the Bata drums.

    I brought my girlfriend so that she could be exposed to the belief and for the most part, that was a positive outcome.

    I ended up taking her home and then going to another Tambore for Shango at a dance studio in maryland. This event was a bit more low-key than the other event, however some of the same people that were at the first event was at this one as well.

    In the end, I felt good becuase in meeting the people that a met and being apart of the expereince, I was able to "de-mystify" some of the stereotypes and rumors that you hear about Ifa-derived faiths! I had a great time and encourage those who are curious to seek out the truth! You just might be amazed at what you may find!!!

  2. #2
    Freedom Soca Taliban's Avatar Soca Taliban is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,914
    Credits
    512,412

    Cool

    So wha end up happening tuh de apples and coconuts?

  3. #3
    aka Karl Logan kevlocks's Avatar kevlocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Casamance
    Posts
    13,162
    Credits
    59,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban
    So wha end up happening tuh de apples and coconuts?
    they are given to people in attendance and they eat them.

  4. #4
    Freedom Soca Taliban's Avatar Soca Taliban is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,914
    Credits
    512,412

    Cool

    Hey Kev, would you by chance happen to have any artwork of/from your/these faiths?? Shango, Orishna, etc??

  5. #5
    Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    in a sacred space...
    Posts
    27,131
    Credits
    545,950
    Beautiful bro', BEAUTIFUL!!! I loved these feasts, experiences, and gatherings... it allows you to see the way different groups interact and to capture some beautiful energies!!

    blessings Bro!

  6. #6
    Kiz
    Registered User Kiz's Avatar Kiz is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On top yuh man
    Posts
    29,577
    Credits
    36,605
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    So I went to two Tambores for Shango yesterday. For those of you who don't know, a Tambore is a celebration in which praise is given to a specific deity of whomever is throwing the event. The woman who was throwing the event was of Santeria, but she invited everyone in the area to share in the celebration, including those (like myself) who are still trying to find there way.

    The event bought out some people here in the DC Metro area that are some heavey hitters within the faith. I counted several Babalows (could've been more, since I didn't know everyone there) and Iyanifas there, which is always a blessing.

    The event started off with offerings to Shango (before I go any further, an offering does not mean a dead animal in every single case. In my case, i brought two apples and two coconuts) followed by prayers which was then followed by some REALLY good music played on both the Congos and the Bata drums.

    I brought my girlfriend so that she could be exposed to the belief and for the most part, that was a positive outcome.

    I ended up taking her home and then going to another Tambore for Shango at a dance studio in maryland. This event was a bit more low-key than the other event, however some of the same people that were at the first event was at this one as well.

    In the end, I felt good becuase in meeting the people that a met and being apart of the expereince, I was able to "de-mystify" some of the stereotypes and rumors that you hear about Ifa-derived faiths! I had a great time and encourage those who are curious to seek out the truth! You just might be amazed at what you may find!!!

    I was now coming to ask what a Tambores was. Thanks for the clarification. In Trinidad we call it Feast. Was it only to Shago

  7. #7
    aka Karl Logan kevlocks's Avatar kevlocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Casamance
    Posts
    13,162
    Credits
    59,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    I was now coming to ask what a Tambores was. Thanks for the clarification. In Trinidad we call it Feast. Was it only to Shago
    I think that's the spanish name for it since most of the people there were santeria. Apparently, yesterday was Shango's day, so it was just for him, however, they did dances for Yemaja, Elegba as well as Shango (I had to leave so I didn't see all of it)


    Taliban: I'm coming with the picks. I thought they were already posted here, but that was the old spirituality thread before the crash.

  8. #8
    who Jah bless no man cus JAHTEE's Avatar JAHTEE is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    4,252
    Credits
    503,189
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    So I went to two Tambores for Shango yesterday. For those of you who don't know, a Tambore is a celebration in which praise is given to a specific deity of whomever is throwing the event. The woman who was throwing the event was of Santeria, but she invited everyone in the area to share in the celebration, including those (like myself) who are still trying to find there way.

    The event bought out some people here in the DC Metro area that are some heavey hitters within the faith. I counted several Babalows (could've been more, since I didn't know everyone there) and Iyanifas there, which is always a blessing.

    The event started off with offerings to Shango (before I go any further, an offering does not mean a dead animal in every single case. In my case, i brought two apples and two coconuts) followed by prayers which was then followed by some REALLY good music played on both the Congos and the Bata drums.

    I brought my girlfriend so that she could be exposed to the belief and for the most part, that was a positive outcome.

    I ended up taking her home and then going to another Tambore for Shango at a dance studio in maryland. This event was a bit more low-key than the other event, however some of the same people that were at the first event was at this one as well.

    In the end, I felt good becuase in meeting the people that a met and being apart of the expereince, I was able to "de-mystify" some of the stereotypes and rumors that you hear about Ifa-derived faiths! I had a great time and encourage those who are curious to seek out the truth! You just might be amazed at what you may find!!!
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm. this brings up alot of questions in me.

    In looking up the Religion it says the principal orishas include Eleggua,Oggun,Ochosi,Obatala,Yemaya,Oshun,Shango,Oya,Babalu Aiye and Orula are these = to Priest or Bishops?

    What is the reason for the offerings and even though you offered fruit are animals sacrificed?

    What book does this Religion follow?

    I have other questions and a statement but I'll wait for your response,cause this is very interesting.
    *I have been Born Again*

  9. #9
    Kiz
    Registered User Kiz's Avatar Kiz is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On top yuh man
    Posts
    29,577
    Credits
    36,605
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    I think that's the spanish name for it since most of the people there were santeria. Apparently, yesterday was Shango's day, so it was just for him, however, they did dances for Yemaja, Elegba as well as Shango (I had to leave so I didn't see all of it)


    Taliban: I'm coming with the picks. I thought they were already posted here, but that was the old spirituality thread before the crash.

    dances? were the people in the spirit or were they just doing dancing just for the heck of it

  10. #10
    Freedom Soca Taliban's Avatar Soca Taliban is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,914
    Credits
    512,412

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    dances? were the people in the spirit or were they just doing dancing just for the heck of it
    Dis Spirit yuh referring to, dies d Holy Spirit right? Oh and wha'is d difference in dey dancing compared tuh one who eh have d spirit?

  11. #11
    aka Karl Logan kevlocks's Avatar kevlocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Casamance
    Posts
    13,162
    Credits
    59,460

    Here Are some Pics:

    Shango:



    Yemaya:



    Elegba:



    Ogun:



    Oshun:



    Oba:



    Oshumare



    Oshosi



    Oya



    Obatala



    There are others that I don't have, but will post later once I find some good art work. The pics above are some of the best I've seen on the web thusfar!!!
    Last edited by kevlocks; 12-05-2005 at 03:47 PM.

  12. #12
    Freedom Soca Taliban's Avatar Soca Taliban is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,914
    Credits
    512,412

    Cool


    Do the rainbow, serpant, etc. represent anything?
    Are these supposed tuh be gods or deities?
    Why d tot tots big so?

  13. #13
    aka Karl Logan kevlocks's Avatar kevlocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Casamance
    Posts
    13,162
    Credits
    59,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    dances? were the people in the spirit or were they just doing dancing just for the heck of it
    From what I saw, both. I think they were selective in which spirits they called upon.

    for instance, they were trying to call down elegba for the longest, but the person that was dancing, seemed to be blocking the chants out. this in turn brought out others like Oya, but the person was taken away because at that time, it seemed like they wanted elegba.

  14. #14
    Kiz
    Registered User Kiz's Avatar Kiz is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On top yuh man
    Posts
    29,577
    Credits
    36,605
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    From what I saw, both. I think they were selective in which spirits they called upon.

    for instance, they were trying to call down elegba for the longest, but the person that was dancing, seemed to be blocking the chants out. this in turn brought out others like Oya, but the person was taken away because at that time, it seemed like they wanted elegba.

    hmmm. very interesting......

  15. #15
    aka Karl Logan kevlocks's Avatar kevlocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Casamance
    Posts
    13,162
    Credits
    59,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban

    Do the rainbow, serpant, etc. represent anything?
    Are these supposed tuh be gods or deities?
    Why d tot tots big so?
    In Yorb mythology, Oshunmare (also Oshumare, Oxumare) is a rainbow serpent, both male and female, and is a symbol of regeneration and rebirth.

    As far as the "tot tots" , that's all in the eye of the artist! I kinna like them!!!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •