Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shango Tambore

Credits

Exclamation Shango Tambore

So I went to two Tambores for Shango yesterday. For those of you who don't know, a Tambore is a celebration in which praise is given to a specific deity of whomever is throwing the event. The woman who was throwing the event was of Santeria, but she invited everyone in the area to share in the celebration, including those (like myself) who are still trying to find there way.

The event bought out some people here in the DC Metro area that are some heavey hitters within the faith. I counted several Babalows (could've been more, since I didn't know everyone there) and Iyanifas there, which is always a blessing.

The event started off with offerings to Shango (before I go any further, an offering does not mean a dead animal in every single case. In my case, i brought two apples and two coconuts) followed by prayers which was then followed by some REALLY good music played on both the Congos and the Bata drums.

I brought my girlfriend so that she could be exposed to the belief and for the most part, that was a positive outcome.

I ended up taking her home and then going to another Tambore for Shango at a dance studio in maryland. This event was a bit more low-key than the other event, however some of the same people that were at the first event was at this one as well.

In the end, I felt good becuase in meeting the people that a met and being apart of the expereince, I was able to "de-mystify" some of the stereotypes and rumors that you hear about Ifa-derived faiths! I had a great time and encourage those who are curious to seek out the truth! You just might be amazed at what you may find!!!

Credits

Cool

So wha end up happening tuh de apples and coconuts?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban
    So wha end up happening tuh de apples and coconuts?
    they are given to people in attendance and they eat them.

Credits

Cool

Hey Kev, would you by chance happen to have any artwork of/from your/these faiths?? Shango, Orishna, etc??

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits
    Beautiful bro', BEAUTIFUL!!! I loved these feasts, experiences, and gatherings... it allows you to see the way different groups interact and to capture some beautiful energies!!

blessings Bro!

Kiz
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlocks
    So I went to two Tambores for Shango yesterday. For those of you who don't know, a Tambore is a celebration in which praise is given to a specific deity of whomever is throwing the event. The woman who was throwing the event was of Santeria, but she invited everyone in the area to share in the celebration, including those (like myself) who are still trying to find there way.

The event bought out some people here in the DC Metro area that are some heavey hitters within the faith. I counted several Babalows (could've been more, since I didn't know everyone there) and Iyanifas there, which is always a blessing.

The event started off with offerings to Shango (before I go any further, an offering does not mean a dead animal in every single case. In my case, i brought two apples and two coconuts) followed by prayers which was then followed by some REALLY good music played on both the Congos and the Bata drums.

I brought my girlfriend so that she could be exposed to the belief and for the most part, that was a positive outcome.

I ended up taking her home and then going to another Tambore for Shango at a dance studio in maryland. This event was a bit more low-key than the other event, however some of the same people that were at the first event was at this one as well.

In the end, I felt good becuase in meeting the people that a met and being apart of the expereince, I was able to "de-mystify" some of the stereotypes and rumors that you hear about Ifa-derived faiths! I had a great time and encourage those who are curious to seek out the truth! You just might be amazed at what you may find!!!

I was now coming to ask what a Tambores was. Thanks for the clarification. In Trinidad we call it Feast. Was it only to Shago

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinikiz
    I was now coming to ask what a Tambores was. Thanks for the clarification. In Trinidad we call it Feast. Was it only to Shago
    I think that's the spanish name for it since most of the people there were santeria. Apparently, yesterday was Shango's day, so it was just for him, however, they did dances for Yemaja, Elegba as well as Shango (I had to leave so I didn't see all of it)

Taliban: I'm coming with the picks. I thought they were already posted here, but that was the old spirituality thread before the crash.

Credits

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. this brings up alot of questions in me.

In looking up the Religion it says the principal orishas include Eleggua,Oggun,Ochosi,Obatala,Yemaya,Oshun,Shango,Oya,Babalu Aiye and Orula are these = to Priest or Bishops?

What is the reason for the offerings and even though you offered fruit are animals sacrificed?

What book does this Religion follow?

I have other questions and a statement but I'll wait for your response,cause this is very interesting.
    *I have been Born Again*

Kiz
    Credits
    I think that's the spanish name for it since most of the people there were santeria. Apparently, yesterday was Shango's day, so it was just for him, however, they did dances for Yemaja, Elegba as well as Shango (I had to leave so I didn't see all of it)

Taliban: I'm coming with the picks. I thought they were already posted here, but that was the old spirituality thread before the crash.

dances? were the people in the spirit or were they just doing dancing just for the heck of it

Credits

Cool

dances? were the people in the spirit or were they just doing dancing just for the heck of it
    Dis Spirit yuh referring to, dies d Holy Spirit right? Oh and wha'is d difference in dey dancing compared tuh one who eh have d spirit?

Credits

Here Are some Pics:

Shango:

Yemaya:

Elegba:

Ogun:

Oshun:

Oba:

Oshumare

Oshosi

Oya

Obatala

There are others that I don't have, but will post later once I find some good art work. The pics above are some of the best I've seen on the web thusfar!!!
    Last edited by kevlocks; 12-05-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Credits

Cool

Do the rainbow, serpant, etc. represent anything?
    Are these supposed tuh be gods or deities?
    Why d tot tots big so?

Credits
    From what I saw, both. I think they were selective in which spirits they called upon.

for instance, they were trying to call down elegba for the longest, but the person that was dancing, seemed to be blocking the chants out. this in turn brought out others like Oya, but the person was taken away because at that time, it seemed like they wanted elegba.

Kiz
    Credits
    From what I saw, both. I think they were selective in which spirits they called upon.

for instance, they were trying to call down elegba for the longest, but the person that was dancing, seemed to be blocking the chants out. this in turn brought out others like Oya, but the person was taken away because at that time, it seemed like they wanted elegba.

hmmm. very interesting......

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban

Do the rainbow, serpant, etc. represent anything?
    Are these supposed tuh be gods or deities?
    Why d tot tots big so?
    In Yorb mythology, Oshunmare (also Oshumare, Oxumare) is a rainbow serpent, both male and female, and is a symbol of regeneration and rebirth.

As far as the "tot tots" , that's all in the eye of the artist! I kinna like them!!!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast