Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Polygamy allowed in The Bible?

Credits

Is Polygamy allowed in The Bible?

Can a man have more than one wife? Why does modern Christianity frown upon it when it was clearly allowed in the Bible?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiyah View Post
    Can a man have more than one wife? Why does modern Christianity frown upon it when it was clearly allowed in the Bible?
    Show me an example where it lead to a successful relationship in the bible? I've heard but never studied it that everywhere I see where a man sleeps w. two women or wives something bad happens ( Noah comes to mind, Solomon comes to mind ). Maybe that is your answer.

Plus, it just don't seem wise, a woman can be a constant dripping and can leave a man wanting to rather spend time on the corner of his roof ( stuff from proverbs ), why have two women/wives?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by RotiKing2004eva View Post
    Show me an example where it lead to a successful relationship in the bible? I've heard but never studied it that everywhere I see where a man sleeps w. two women or wives something bad happens ( Noah comes to mind, Solomon comes to mind ). Maybe that is your answer.

Plus, it just don't seem wise, a woman can be a constant dripping and can leave a man wanting to rather spend time on the corner of his roof ( stuff from proverbs ), why have two women/wives?
    What was wrong with Noah's relationships? Or Abraham's?

Not seeming wise is subjective... stick to the question: Is it ok to have more than one wife? Or is this just doctrine that modern Christianity came up wid?

Credits
    What was wrong with Noah's relationships? Or Abraham's?

Not seeming wise is subjective... stick to the question: Is it ok to have more than one wife? Or is this just doctrine that modern Christianity came up wid?
    The only people that shouldn't have more than one wife are Evangelists, from what I read in the bible it's not a sin to have more than one wife unless against the law in your country ( for example, if America has a law against it, going against the law is sin)...but if America didn't have that law, it's no sin.

Credits

Cool

The answer was, is, and always be NO!!
    It was wrong. Nowhere did God ever sanction
    it in the Bible. Now God allowed it as He
    allows us to make many wrong decisions,
    but there were/are/will be consequences
    to pay.

Many problems ensued due to polygamy.

Credits
    The only people that shouldn't have more than one wife are Evangelists, from what I read in the bible it's not a sin to have more than one wife unless against the law in your country ( for example, if America has a law against it, going against the law is sin)...but if America didn't have that law, it's no sin.
    Ok. Thats what I thought... thanks!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Soca Taliban View Post
    It was wrong. Now God allowed it as he
    to pay.

Proof?

Why did he not at least stop or warn some of his prophets from continuing to do it? Or doing it in the first place?

Credits
    It was wrong. Nowhere did God ever sanction
    it in the Bible. Now God allowed it as He
    to pay.

I think you're wrong. Above I made a mistake and said 'evangelist'...it really was deacon or elder or overseer. I think a regular christian not working for the church as either of those titles can do that if not against the law.

Titus 1:6
    An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.
    1 Timothy 3:2
    Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

Credits
    I think you're wrong. Above I made a mistake and said 'evangelist'...it really was deacon or elder or overseer. I think a regular christian not working for the church as either of those titles can do that if not against the law.
    The Bible seems to agree with you here.. It seems to me that Christians keep pulling some of these things out of thin air. I am waiting to see the proof that God never meant it to be that way and just allowed it for some reason or the other...

Credits

Cool

Proof?

Why did he not at least stop or warn some of his prophets from continuing to do it? Or doing it in the first place?
    God set a precedent when he conducted the first marriage. These men knew Gods' law. Having more than one wife was just as much a sin a teefing.
    Genesis 2:24 : Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be jined to his WIFE (not wives) and they shall be come one flesh.

Exodus 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultry.

Credits
    God set a precedent when he conducted the first marriage. These men knew Gods' law. Having more than one wife was just as much a sin a teefing.
    Genesis 2:24 : Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be jined to his WIFE (not wives) and they shall be come one flesh.

You cannot commit adultary if you are sleeping with your wife.

I think your Genesis example is just an extrapolation not of the bible. I think that cultures in Senegal or Zambia or Namibia or wherever else that have multiple wives if they love each equally and respect them they are not sinning as long as their aren't deacons or overseers or elders....

Credits

Cool

You cannot commit adultary if you are sleeping with your wife.

I think your Genesis example is just an extrapolation not of the bible. I think that cultures in Senegal or Zambia or Namibia or wherever else that have multiple wives if they love each equally and respect them they are not sinning as long as their aren't deacons or overseers or elders....
    No brodda, check out Soloman who had over 700 wives and read what he had to say. Show me one point in the bible where having more than one wife is santified by God.
    Lets not confused what God approves and what he allows. They're not the same thing.

Credits
    No brodda, check out Soloman who had over 700 wives and read what he had to say. Show me one point in the bible where having more than one wife is santified by God.
    Lets not confused what God approves and what he allows. They're not the same thing.
    Solomons whole point was that nothing mattered other than fearing God in life and that it wasn't fulfilling to do so, but no one ever said he was sinning. He also said he worked on a lot of gardens are architecture in the same light, is that a sin too?
    He spoke of deep education in the same light, is that a sin?

Credits

Yet the first verse does denounce that he can join to more than one wife. And then furthermore what are we to think about other verses in the Bible:

“If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, [both] the beloved and the hated; and [if] the firstborn son be hers that was hated” [Deuteronomy 21:15]

“If he take him another [wife]; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.” [Exodus 21:10]

The second one speaks of adultery... but if one is married then no adultery is committed no matter if you are married to several women as David and Solomon and Abraham and Noah and severl great men in the Bible were.

Credits
    In the same mindset you must also find one thing in the Bible where he disapproves of it. He explicitly disapproves of stealing, killing, lying... where does he say a thing about Polygamy. You cannot insist that people find proof of one thing when you cannot also find proof of the adjacent.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast