Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrel Owens gets banned

Credits

Terrel Owens gets banned

What a jackass

Eagles done with Owens for the season

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Terrell Owens can take his touchdowns and dance somewhere else.

Reid: T.O. will not return
    Eagles coach Andy Reid discloses the length of the Terrell Owens suspension. T.O. was suspended indefinitely after criticizing his teammates and getting into a locker-room fight.

The tempestuous star receiver won't return to the Philadelphia Eagles this season - or probably ever - "a result of a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time," coach Andy Reid said Monday.
    Owens was suspended for Sunday night's 17-10 loss at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games. After that, the Eagles plan to deactivate him for the rest of the season.

Reid said the outspoken player "had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions."

"We gave Terrell every opportunity to avoid this outcome," he said.

Owens was suspended Saturday, two days after he said the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game on Oct. 23. In the same interview Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb.

Owens also was involved in a fight last week with former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas, who remains with the team as its "ambassador."

"The league has been notified by the players' union that they will be grieving our right to take that action," Reid said, "therefore there is nothing more that I can say at this point."

Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, refused to comment. Owens' relationship with the Eagles took a drastic turn after he fired longtime agent David Joseph, hired Rosenhaus and demanded a new contract just one season into the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004.

Owens is scheduled to earn $3.25 million this season, meaning the four-game suspension would cost him almost $800,000.

The Eagles will have to pay Owens nearly $1 million to stay home the final five games.

Owens will either be traded or released after the season. He is due to receive a $5 million roster bonus in March 2006, so the Eagles will decide his fate before then.

Owens made more than $9 million last season, when he helped lead Philadelphia to the Super Bowl.

Two years ago, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided they'd had enough of Keyshawn Johnson and did something similar.

After Johnson criticized coach Jon Gruden, the Super Bowl champion Bucs deactivated the star receiver and sent him home for the final six games with pay.

The Eagles are 4-4 this season. And McNabb, who feuded with Owens throughout the summer and has been a constant target of his criticism, finally took a stand in the matter, saying the team might be "better off" without Owens.

"Obviously it is tough losing a guy of his caliber, his ability, but I think we might be better off," McNabb said after throwing an interception that sealed the loss to Washington.

"I think what we did tonight, we showed that we played well together. I think we also showed that when given the opportunity, guys can make plays for us. We're 4-4. We're not 1-7. I think that's the way to look at it. For the guys in the locker room, we win together and we lose together," he said.

Asked to elaborate on how the team could be better off without its top receiver, McNabb emphasized the remaining players are united with the same goal of winning.

"Nothing against him and his attitude. It's just that when you get out there on the field, it's about playing together," McNabb said. "I think we all played with a lot of attitude and a lot of adrenaline. Guys played well together. It was unfortunate that we didn't win this game, but I think it may be a steppingstone for us to move forward."

Rookie Reggie Brown filled in for Owens against Washington and caught five passes for 94 yards, including a 56-yard TD reception. But the Eagles' offense continued to struggle and couldn't score the tying touchdown with three shots from the Redskins 7 in the final minutes.

The Eagles are 17-5 with Owens, including a 24-21 loss to New England in the Super Bowl. In that game, Owens had nine catches for 122 yards after defying his doctor's advice and playing 6 1/2 weeks after ankle surgery.

They're 2-1 without him in games that matter, winning twice in the NFC playoffs.

Owens was set to earn base salaries of $770,000 in 2006, $5.5 million in 2007, $6.5 million in 2008, $7.5 million in 2009, and $8.5 million in 2010.

This was the second time Owens has been suspended during his controversial 10-year career. In 2000, he was suspended one game by San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci following his infamous touchdown celebrations on the Dallas Cowboys' famed star logo at the center of Texas Stadium.

Owens clashed with management this summer and earned a one-week exile from training camp after a heated dispute with Reid that followed a shouting match with offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

Owens forced a trade to the Eagles last year after eight seasons with the 49ers and invigorated the offense with his superior skills. He had 77 catches for 1,200 yards and 14 TDs in 14 games, helping the Eagles to a 13-1 start and nine victories by double-digit margins.

The bad blood between Owens and McNabb began after Owens went down with a severely sprained ankle and broken leg in Week 15 against Dallas. Owens was upset that McNabb and other players said the Eagles could reach the Super Bowl without him, which they did.

Soon after Philadelphia lost to the Patriots, Owens took his first shot at McNabb, suggesting the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback was tired in the fourth quarter of the loss.

McNabb responded harshly and the two didn't speak for a prolonged period in training camp. They eventually reconciled their relationship and performed well together on the field - Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six TDs this season.

However, Owens continued to throw verbal jabs at McNabb during his weekly radio show or whenever he granted interviews.
    Last edited by Cook; 11-07-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Credits
    Good...TO can guhlong...now maybe football can be discussed this year for once.

Credits
    Ha Ha Haaaaaaaa, he got Keyshawn'd.... It was only a matter of time.. We knew it was coming
    MY SQUADS:

NBA -LAKERS
    EPL/CL - MAN U
    NCAA BB - UCONN
    NCAA FB - FLORIDA ST
    NFL - RAMS
    MLB - BRAVES
    NHL - PENS

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook
    In the same interview Thursday, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb.
    Actually, I thought he agreed to Michael Irvin's assessment, I didn't see where he self actually said it....but that kinna splitting hairs.

But didn't he also say the team would have a better record if Donovan was healthy, and that the team's success is predicated on how well Donovan plays?

Well, anyways, let the TO pile-on commence.

BTW did anybody consider the possibility that TO was doing shit so that he could get suspended and he could go to another team?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Xtremist
    Actually, I thought he agreed to Michael Irvin's assessment, I didn't see where he self actually said it....but that kinna splitting hairs.

But didn't he also say the team would have a better record if Donovan was healthy, and that the team's success is predicated on how well Donovan plays?

BTW did anybody consider the possibility that TO was doing shit so that he could get suspended and he could go to another team?
    That's true...he didn't really do anything "wrong"...but I think if he didn't have the fight in the locker room, he would be playing.

I thought about that as well, but I'll put it like this...you are an athlete and you are under contract. You are getting paid to perform a job...I think if he just finished out this season with no gripes and performed like we all know he can, they would have done something about his contract or he could have left to go to another team. Now that he got Keyshawned...I don't know. The only reason Keyshawn got picked up was because of Parcells.....who does TO have right now? I don't think he will get a long term contract....he will probably get a one year and a few million to see how he is then something long term.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
    That's true...he didn't really do anything "wrong"...but I think if he didn't have the fight in the locker room, he would be playing.
    yea, true...i think while the media/public will focus on the interview, it seems there was things going on within the team that pushed this more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle
    .....who does TO have right now? I don't think he will get a long term contract....he will probably get a one year and a few million to see how he is then something long term.
    agreed....but somebody will have to see the value on gambling on him. he's just too good a receiver to sit on the shelf. don't know what kinda situation he can go to where he'll behave, but there's gotta be somewhere.

Credits

You know you bring up a good point. It was Mr. Irvin's statement and he simply agreed but you know the media always lookin to take things out of context for a story. The way it was done it made people believe he was taking another shot at Mcnabb. I also thought of him doing all this to get traded as well. Still you don't do it in this manner. Besides the Brett Favre thing he had a fight with Hugh Douglas and complains about the Eagles not celebrating his 100th career TD catch. I swore we left High School a long time ago. Your in the NFL pal win a superbowl first then talk yuh talk. His NFL days maybe numbered regardless if he's the best reciever in football.

Credits
    i dont give a $HIT....he still damn good...although his attitude may suck...but that is just the way he is...lets not forget that he didnt want to go to Baltimore for whatever reason(Ray Lewis)

to me though, he can still be successful in this league....the way i see it...just let terrell owens be terrell owens...let him talk and voice himself.....the minute you respond of course it will start a feud....someones got to be the bigger person

i dont agree that he should be suspened 4 games and then on top of that wont return this season.....im feeling for the eagles right now...in the past they didnt have a big play receiver...now they do and...well....the res' is history...the Eagles and McNabb are gonna have to wait for that Super Bowl

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bajanredman
    ....the way i see it...just let terrell owens be terrell owens...let him talk and voice himself.....the minute you respond of course it will start a feud....someones got to be the bigger person
    TO needs to realize that it takes 23 other players besides himself to win a superbowl. When TO can hike the ball...take it, throw the ball, run the pattern and catch the ball, score, and kick the extra point plus play defense without anyone else, then he can talk all the shite he want.

Quote Originally Posted by bajanredman
    the Eagles and McNabb are gonna have to wait for that Super Bowl
    Yeah, they will have to wait...they have some of the pieces in place now... But with free agency the way it is in the NFL, it won't take as long as it did from the Randall Cunningham days. They looked pretty decent last night (minus a few plays). I think once they get past all of this (which TO's punishment allows) they will be fine. Besides Westbrook is just as much of a weapon as TO. Westbrook opened up the field for TO.

Credits
    I was just coming to post this!!!!!
    The Jets are moving back up, they didnt win, but they are playing way much better!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Ha Ha Haaaaaaaa, he got Keyshawn'd.... It was only a matter of time.. We knew it was coming
    How true bonez now the G-MEN taken the NFC. Yall watch and see. and Buss up Jets aint gotta a snowballs chance in hell.

Credits

to what team Mystic?
    would you sign this fackin moron?
    I would NOT...the guy is talented, very talented but a very huge distraction as he was in San Fran... teams need chemistry he doesnt bring any of that. all he brings is me me me like a 2-year-old.

he needs a slap...what a waste of talent.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by buss up shot
    .... but they are playing way much better!
    pretty losses dont count
    I feel sorry for Herm ...I hear that axe grinding ..

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Simple Simon
    pretty losses dont count
    I feel sorry for Herm ...I hear that axe grinding ..
    Off with yuh head!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by buss up shot
    Off with yuh head!
    J. E. T. S.

J-ust E-nt T-his S-eason

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast