Please post your recipes here, if you could.
I found a recipe but it has problems, for example it doesnt say how much of the sugar is for the caramel, and how much is for creaming with the butter. it also calls for a HUGE ammount of peel, 1/4 pound. most recipes I have ever seen call for 1/4 teaspoon to A MOST a tablespoon, unless I am mistaken 1/4 pound is too much.
* ¼ lb cherries
* 1 lb local dried fruits (or raisins)
* 1 cup rum
* 1½ lbs. brown sugar
* ½ teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* ½ lb flour
* 12 eggs
* ¼ lb orange or lemon peel
* ½ lb butter
* Grind dried fruits and soak it in 3 cups of rum. Store in an air tight container for three weeks.
* Prepare the caramel by heating the sugar until it turns dark brown.
* Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, soaked fruits, and rum. When it is well blended, pour the caramel.
* Add the flour with the baking powder and mixed spice.
* Fold in the cherries.
* Pour mixture in a baking pan and bake in a slow oven (about 300 degrees F.) for two hours. Remove cake from pan after two days.