Thread: For those with Locs...

Credits

For those with Locs...

This is a spin off of a topic from real talk...For those of you that have or had locs..what was/is your reason for having it?

Religion?
    Spirituality?
    Style?

Locs for a long time was tied inherently to rasta, do you feel this is still the case?

Credits

Re: For those with Locs...

Originally posted by trinisunshine
    This is a spin off of a topic from real talk...For those of you that have or had locs..what was/is your reason for having it?
    Religion?Spirituality?Style?
    Locs for a long time was tied inherently to rasta, do you feel this is still the case?
    Spirituality, and a test of personal conviction, among other things.

You doan haffe dread to be rasta, some will say; ah also feel you doan haffe rasta to wear locs, as long as your spirituality is in tact. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by MysticReveller; 11-18-2003 at 08:06 PM.

Credits
    For me the decision to loc was partially spiritual and partially cultural. And I as well want to test my level of patience as the develop and mature over the years to come.

Credits
    Originally posted by yankee_bajan
    For me the decision to loc was partially spiritual and partially cultural. And I as well want to test my level of patience as the develop and mature over the years to come.
    a matter of style. no religious connection. :angel1

Credits
    My reasons were both spiritual and cultural. I've been in love with dreads since the 80's but my parents hated it so I was not allowed to do it. After moving to New York I decided that I was finally going to do it but my modeling agency advised me against it, so I didn't. Late last year I realized that I was leaving my life to please others and not myself so I decided to do what I always wanted to do, grow my dreads, go natural, stop leaving my life by society standard of what beauty is.

Credits
    i dunno what mine was.. i know is not style.

When i was younger (HS time) I was inlvoved ina lot of things (both positive and negative) After a few things happened i decided that i needed to organize my self. And i shedded. My hair was teh main thing. With it have grown and found myself and who I actually want to become. I am growing with it. Like bebespice i have been forced sometimes to conform because of things i am invloved in but is accept me for what i am now.. ent no disgusing BGD anymore. And actually they have...which is very refreshing...
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

Credits
    I do not have locs, but have always been fascinated with it thanks to my dad.

For years he wanted to loc his hair, but due to my mom's wishes he did not. As soon as they were no longer together he loc'ed it..I think it looks good on him, but not sure why he did it..I have to make sure and ask him when I see him again...If I had to take a guess, it was more for a "protest" ...Because he was never one to conform to the "man" as he would put it

if yuh want 2 lock meh up ill be by de kiss cake truck!
    Credits
    I loced my hair my last year of highschool january 2,2003.
    when i loced it, it was a stage in my life where i need change an wanted to better myself from a lot of shite that was holdin me down.
    I changed my religion and became a rastafarian. I wanted to do it soo long but so many people around me percieved locs as being nasty and dirty
    But this year I decieded to do what was best for me and what i wanted.

Credits
    I always wanted to loc my hair ever since I was 15 years old. Back then, dreads wasn't such a big fashion statement as it is now so I think my interest was more of a spiritual nature and I just thought it was different. My mother always made a big deal about dreads, she didn't like it. So rather than hear her naggin in meh head until I moved out from her residence I decided not to do it. Two years ago I did loc my hair and kept it for about 9 months. I took it out because the texture of my hair required so much maintenance. I started to loc it when my hair was short and that made it even more high maintenance. But I haven't given up. My hair has since grown past my shoulders and I am going to loc it again someday.

Credits

Re: For those with Locs...

Originally posted by trinisunshine

Religion?
    Spirituality?
    Style?

I did or rather do it for Spirituality. What I was told along time ago was that you mature as you hair grows. This is true, you do mature as it grows. As you retwist your dreds you feel as you renew you spirit.

Credits

Re: Re: For those with Locs...

Originally posted by Cimo 2
    I did or rather do it for Spirituality. What I was told along time ago was that you mature as you hair grows. This is true, you do mature as it grows. As you retwist your dreds you feel as you renew you spirit.
    yes it is Cimo..
    The saint and the sinner are just exchanging notes. Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

The matador wins by avoiding the bull not colliding with him!

Honesty322
    Style- In high school I decided that I would grow locs when I turned 25. I had a relaxer for a while and hated it. I rocked twists for a couple of years but that was too time consuming. Finally this past July only a few months before my 25th birthday, I took the plunge and started to loc my hair. There's just something about locs that I love. Growing them is hard and one definitely needs patience. However, I can't wait to have shoulder length locs to style but like everything else you want, it will all come in due time.