Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Natural Ladies

Credits
    Audree,

Your guess is as good as mine as to the real purpose of typing, but it's whatever. Either way, I love seeing all the different styles and textures. Everywhere you turn there is a natural woman these days, which is good for the younger generation.

Products well...what can you say? It's all about money, generally speaking. Empty promises are often a norm in other areas, so unfortunately natural hair products are just following suit.

Do you think diet or possibly hard water in your area is causing your hair to grow back harder/thicker? Because I have friends who have chopped more than once and their hair grow back the same. I also read where people said their hair grew back in softer after a second big chop...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Audree View Post
    And I suffer with extreme shrinkage.

I have yet to find a product that can handle dat.

And I try to refrain from most of those chemically

Enhancing products.
    Girl either twist it out, or embrace the beauty of shrinkage. Work with your hair because at the end of the day it's going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Vega View Post
    Audree,

Your guess is as good as mine as to the real purpose of typing, but it's whatever. Either way, I love seeing all the different styles and textures. Everywhere you turn there is a natural woman these days, which is good for the younger generation.

Products well...what can you say? It's all about money, generally speaking. Empty promises are often a norm in other areas, so unfortunately natural hair products are just following suit.

Do you think diet or possibly hard water in your area is causing your hair to grow back harder/thicker? Because I have friends who have chopped more than once and their hair grow back the same. I also read where people said their hair grew back in softer after a second big chop...
    My mom is transitioning (for the 100th time), and the stylist who she goes to said "it takes 2-3 years for your hair to be completely rid of the relaxer." So, I don't know how many times in a row Audree did her big chop, but it just could be her actual texture coming in.

Taj
    Credits
    Ok so I understand people can relate to the chart and compare textures and such.

My thing is what's the point?

We already know that we are a variety/ethnicity of people with different textures. Duhh

For instance, the same way relaxer is used to alter the natural hair pattern to a straight silky finish
    Some if these natural hair products are trying to doing the same thing but only making empty promises.

And based off that chart woman are guided to the 'best' method of maintenance. I realize that the soft bouncy naturally hair is more appreciated than the real deal of it, thick and course.

I love all the different styles, there are. And all the great conditioning methods. Because of course our hair needs moisture.

Plus I been paying attention to the shelves and advertisements into the whole industry an it's really beaming. Nuff are milking it for what it is.
    well i think some people are so new to having natural hair they become very gullible. Things about products they may be able to decipher as a relaxed person and call bullshit on they give products the benefit of the doubt now as a natural b/c its unfamiliar territory. Maybe its just how the growth process goes... ppl start off as product junkies then through trial n error and frustration get more streamlined and understand stuff better about their hair. I mean ppl thought that curly pudding and the shingling method would have your hair go from tomiko fraser to lisa bonet. I guess they learn eventually.
    And I suffer with extreme shrinkage.

I have yet to find a product that can handle dat.

And I try to refrain from most of those chemically

Enhancing products.
    I don't think there is a product to help mainly technique so maybe try;
    don't wash your hair all out try a couple large twists or braids
    you can wash it with it in place like that or undo each wash and redo.
    Let it airdry like this or even a light blowdry after this helps me

if you're talking about after styling its not a whole lot you can do
    “A sharp knife never proclaims it’s sharpness to the world…but the first to fall against it becomes it’s advocate.”

You can put any face behind a mask but be careful cos someone else might be pretending. You might not be the only one with a secret -- Cassie/Gretel

Credits
    yup-- you can do a light blow dry. i blow dry my hair after i wash it. i hate to style my hair when it's still wet (just don't like the way it feels in my hands when i'm twisting). i know they say don't put too much heat on your hair, but it seems to work alright for me. it's once a week and i put this thing in that's supposed to protect against heat.

Credits
    @curling puddling.

I'm guilty if trying the curling custard.

Each time I shaved it grew back much much thicker.

I say hard cause that's just my term.

Was relaxing my hair for about a good 15 years.
    And it was long. So of course the chemicals would take some time to come out at least a good 3 years. The first two times I shave it I was only out of relaxers for at least 3 years. After the 3rd shave I knew the crack was totally out my system.
    Marcus Garvey said you would not know yourself till your back is against the wall. It gone through the wall now.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by mz_JazE View Post
    My mom is transitioning (for the 100th time), and the stylist who she goes to said "it takes 2-3 years for your hair to be completely rid of the relaxer." So, I don't know how many times in a row Audree did her big chop, but it just could be her actual texture coming in.
    Interesting...guess some people's hair may very well be harder or softer and then others really doesn't change as much. Perhaps the frequency at which people relaxed and length the chemicals are left on the hair may also affect it as well.

Credits
    i tried that baby buttercreme shit from miss jessie's once cos that's what someone i know would put in their hair.. but i didnt like that smell and i didnt like how it left my hair feeling either.. same for Carol's Daughter Hair milk which had an oily heaviness to it
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyrastafari View Post
    i tried that baby buttercreme shit from miss jessie's once cos that's what someone i know would put in their hair.. but i didnt like that smell and i didnt like how it left my hair feeling either.. same for Carol's Daughter Hair milk which had an oily heaviness to it
    LR have you tried Mixed Chicks products?

And keep your money, I got my own
    Keep a bigger smile on my face, being alone
    Bad motherfcuker, God complex
    Motivate your ass call me Malcolm X

Credits
    i said i would check it out.. but i dunno... i've tried a whole bunch of these "curly" products and there is usually an oily film on my hair or it leaves the hair heavy.. i hate that..
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    I use the deep conditioners, moisturizing shampoos, and masks. Also, I use the ionic blow dryer like this, cause it's faster, safer ("cold air" function) than the usual one, and protects my hair from over-drying ("ionization" function). Also, I use the heat protection spray right before and after.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345