Thread: Clem Lue Yat

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits

:box Clem Lue Yat

I remember seeing commercials with this Trini Master Weaver many moons ago. Heck, I didn't know he was a Trini until a few years ago. Anyway, here's an article about his recent visit to Trinidad.

BY ESSIBA SMALL

Master hair weaver Clem LueYat was in town last week. And, as it always is with the US-based stylist when he visits, you had to catch him when you could.

That’s because whenever LueYat comes home it’s to keep hairdressers up to speed with the new weaving techniques.

On this trip he came to introduce hairdressers to the “micro loc” extension technique.

The new strand-by-strand method involves the fusing of extensions to natural hair, using a plastic-coated cylinder. The process takes about six to seven hours and involves no heat or glue.

The end product is a seamless head of hair devoid of tracks or cornrows.

“When I first started doing weave in 1996 everyone was saying that it was a fad and soon it would be over,” he said. “Now look at how much hair weaves have evolved.

“People with naturally straight hair, long hair, are also doing weaves.”

The micro loc extension, LueYat said, is responsible for Britney Spears’ and Janet Jackson’s added lengths.

“Some people use it for fullness and others to put in streaks. And you can use the hair over and over again.”

The stylist was careful that people not confuse the micro loc with fusion, though the methods are similar.

“Fusion involves gluing extensions to the natural hair.

“One of the problems hairdressers were experiencing with fusion was that people were damaging their hair because they were leaving it on for much longer than they should.

“The maximum length of time to keep in a fusion is three months.”

Prices for the micro loc extension can start from US$600 because the process takes so long.

Hairdresser Germaine Williams-Beckles of Gee’s New Concept is just one of the salons where the micro loc extensions will be offered locally soon.

“The minute Germaine heard of it she wanted it,” LueYat said with a laugh.

The price at Gees, its owner said, would be comparable to that of the US price.

Commenting on hair extensions, LueYat said Great Lengths, micro loc and the satin panel front extensions are now popular, particularly in Hollywood.

Great Lengths is a human hair extension system developed in London, England by David Gold.

The satin panel front is a type of wig that has a thin layer of fake skin that adheres to the hairline.

Model Tyra Banks and Beyonce are just two celebrities who wear the satin panel front.

LueYat will return on June 20 for a tricology banquet hosted by Gee’s New Concept.

He will also be a part of the International Beauty Show in New York at the end of the month.

The model’s hair before the micro loc extension.

During the process.

The model’s hair after the extension has been applied.
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
    Credits

(rest of Guardian article)

Bonding - Bonding is a popular temporary weaving method that adds volume and streaks of colour to natural hair.

Tracks of hair are glued to the roots of your own hair..

Extensions can be removed by soaking hair with bond remover or oil sheen for a few minutes to prevent damage to the hairs natural follicles.

Tracking - Natural tresses are braided around the hair in concentric circles. The braids are sewn down , then extensions are sewn to the braids. Eight to fifteen tracks are needed for a full head.

For this weave hair should be changed every two months or every time you get a relaxer, since it will loosen up as your hair grows out.

Fusion - Fusion involves the use of a machine similar to a hot glue gun used to adhere human hair extensions to individual strands of natural hair (about the same size as a micro braid).

With a fusion weave hair can be washed every week.

Netting - This technique involves braiding natural tresses under a thin, breathable net that serves as a flat surface onto which extensions can be weaved.

The style can last for up to three months if properly maintained.
    Clem’s Career

Clem LueYat has had an exceptional record in the beauty business. His most recent achievement occurred on August 5, 2000, in Atlanta, Georgia, when HairWeb.com, at their first awards ceremony, presented LueYat with an award for his outstanding achievements in the hair industry.

In 1999, his life-long dream to be a hairstylist at the Miss Universe pageant was realised when the contest was held in T&T. In addition to other contestants in the show, he also styled the hair of winner Mpule Kwelagobe, Miss Botswana, and the first runner up, Miss Philippines, as well as three of the top 10 finalists.

In fact Kwelagobe remains one of his clients up to today.

LueYat moved from high fashion hairstyles of the 1960s, to Jherri curls in the 70s, creating his own Unique Interlocking Hair Weave System in the 80s and then his Wrap Net Weaving System in the 90s.

These accomplishments have helped LueYat earn the title “The Master Hair Weaver of the World.”

LueYat continues to teach and influence hundreds of hairstylists in the USA, T&T and other countries. He holds classes on a monthly basis at his Brooklyn salon and travels to other locations to hold workshops.

Clem’s career in hair began at the age of 13 “when French rolls and the ‘flip’ were in style,” he remembers. His eldest sister, an apprentice at a salon, asked him to pin her hair in an up-do. That is how he began his hair dressing career.

The rest is history.

LueYat has also served as a personal stylist for Miss Universe 1977, Janelle Commissiong-Chow, and her fashion shows. He has weaved and styled the hair of celebrities such as comedian/actress, Kim Coles (of the sitcom, Living Single), actress N’bushe Wright (of the movie Fresh and New York Undercover), and Stephanie Pope, who starred in the Broadway production of FOSSE and HBO’s OZ.

(From: clemlueyat.com)
    "Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life, because you become what you believe." - Oprah Winfrey

"If you keep believing in yourself and seek enthusiasm inside your soul, things will get simpler, more spontaneous." ~Paulo Coelho

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
    the floor each morning the devil says:
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Credits

Thumbs up

this is hilarious!!! good for him!
    he's a close friend of the family...my boyfriend's family, that is...

amprincess
    Originally posted by spicydimples
    this is hilarious!!! good for him!
    he's a close friend of the family...my boyfriend's family, that is...
    I was hoping you would see this :p I almost dead the day D called him master weaver

Credits
    Originally posted by amprincess
    I was hoping you would see this :p I almost dead the day D called him master weaver
    since i met him he's been talking about how talented clem is...guess its true
    i don't think i told u but my cousin got a weave a few months ago - it looked great...maybe i'll ask clem to hook me up...
    d's been trying to get me to go to him for ages...

amprincess
    Originally posted by spicydimples
    since i met him he's been talking about how talented clem is...guess its true
    i don't think i told u but my cousin got a weave a few months ago - it looked great...maybe i'll ask clem to hook me up...
    d's been trying to get me to go to him for ages...
    wait did Clem do your cousin's weave?
    I feel like I need 1 now that my length is gone can Clem gimme a discount? :p

Credits
    Originally posted by amprincess
    wait did Clem do your cousin's weave?
    I feel like I need 1 now that my length is gone can Clem gimme a discount? :p
    no she went somewhere else but i figured if hers looked so great, i can just imagine what clem can do.

i don't know about a discount...i'll give u his #...maybe d can call him for u...

Credits
    Oh please, dat micro loc been out for YEARS. I remember my cousin had it. I think Clem is overrated, I had a friend who used to go to him and she would always end up looking like a tanty with the hairstyle he would give her.

Credits
    Originally posted by Dougla Ting
    Oh please, dat micro loc been out for YEARS. I remember my cousin had it. I think Clem is overrated, I had a friend who used to go to him and she would always end up looking like a tanty with the hairstyle he would give her.