Thread: "Sista please take this as a gift from me to you":

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits

"Sista please take this as a gift from me to you":

That's what he told me. And because my mind was so warped to never really trust a man off the back "just so" I never got to tell him "thank you"...

So I'm walking down the East Village, NYC a couple months ago and this young black guy is giving out flyers, and he stops me and says "Sista please take this, just take a look I don't want anything for it, I just want to share the wealth and knowledge".... So I take it for his sincere words, but I choose not to read it yet because I had all these crazy thoughts in my head of what can be on this flyer... Finally I make it on the train and give it a read, and to my surprise it's a copy of a hand written BOOK LIST he put together, a Listing of Book Stores and Music to check out... I then realized who it was geared to (you'll get the gist from the following titles) So after reading this and it does say big and bold to share I want to share this with you!!

Here's some of the 1st half of the list:

1. "Woman, Culture, & Politics" by Angela Davis
    2. "Sacred Woman" by Queen Afua (I have this book and love it, will take the Sacred Woman steps soon)
    3. "From Brotherhood to Manhood" by A.J. Franklin
    4. "A Black Parents handbook to educating your Children" by Baruti Kefele (Aclearwebcreation.com)
    5. "Lessons to restore the Goddess Blackwoman" (I love this book too)
    6. "Why are Blackwomen losing Their Hair" By Barry Fletcher
    7. "Countering the Conspiracy to destroy black Boys" Vol. 1-4 by Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu (nyaclu.com)
    8. "The Willie Lunch Letter" by Kashif Hassan-El
    9. "Blackwomen, Feminism, Blackliberation: Which Way?" by Vivian Gordon
    10. "The Art of war for Success" by Gerald Michealson
    11. "Capitalist N*gger" by Chika Onyeani
    12. "PowerNomics" by Cluad Anderson
    13. "Up From Slavery" by Booker T. Washington
    14. "Kwanzaa" by Haki R. Madhubuti (just in time for the season)15. "In search of Sisterhood" by Paula Giddings
    16. "Assata Shakur" by Assata Shakur (Required read in my house, thank you daddy)
    17. Afeni Shakur: "The Evolution of Revolutionary" by Jasmine Guy

Credits
    Here's his book store list:

Hue-Man Bookstore (718)-665-7400
    Big Deal Books Inc. (718)-622-7400
    Nubian Heritage (212)-427-8999
    Books-n-things Inc. (718)-789-8964

Book List continued...

18. "World's Greatest men of Color Vol 1&2" by J.A. rogers
    19. "Karma Sutra" by Ann Cooper (I got this on my 21st birthday by elder in my family, thank you)
    20. "Blackwomans guide to understanding a Black man (and vice versa)" by Sister Shaharazad Ali
    21. "How I retired at 26!" By Asha Tyson
    22. "Girl make Your Money Grow" by Glinda
    23. "The Miseducation of the Negro Ms. BridgeForth" by Carter G. Woodson
    and left it with this:

Positive Education Always Causes Elovation
    P.E.A.C.E.

Credits
    Give thanks for that brother and others who have stepped forward!
    He passed it on and so did you sista! Thanks to you too. In our house our book to read this month is J.A Rodgers "World's Greatest men of Color Vol 1&2" by J.A. rogers.

Even if you have read many books and have loads of knowledge it is useless unless you PASS IT ON!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by CaribNVA
    Give thanks for that brother and others who have stepped forward!
    He passed it on and so did you sista! Thanks to you too. In our house our book to read this month is J.A Rodgers "World's Greatest men of Color Vol 1&2" by J.A. rogers.

Even if you have read many books and have loads of knowledge it is useless unless you PASS IT ON!

I was thinking of doing that, I mean all my good books, what I was going to do was do a cypher system where everyone I pass the book to have to sign their name and a lil message in the book and pass it on to someone else, like a chain system.

I'm reading Queen Afua's "Sacred Woman" right now, I love it... But I want to read "Lessons to restore the Goddess Blackwoman" since I have a copy,it's interesting to read a man's point (A Muslim at that) point of view of the black woman... I can't help but want to read more than 2 books at time.

Credits
    nice list....can you put a copy of this post in the bookchat forum?
    thanks!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca junkie
    nice list....can you put a copy of this post in the bookchat forum?
    thanks!
    I actually did a link over there, but you're right I should put a direct list in there as well... but hopefully that link will bring some people over here too...

cool beans (I love the skippin' chicken lil' in yuh sig)

Credits
    Honey E, thanks so much for this list! Some of the books I already have, but some I don't. It is such a powerful thing to have knowledge and in addition to be able to pass it on. Bless you sista for the pass......I will be sure to get more of these books. It is akin to the conscious music thread....we must feed ourselves with positivity

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Croix Mami
    Honey E, thanks so much for this list! Some of the books I already have, but some I don't. It is such a powerful thing to have knowledge and in addition to be able to pass it on. Bless you sista for the pass......I will be sure to get more of these books. It is akin to the conscious music thread....we must feed ourselves with positivity
    NP sis...
    Oh yeah I was thinking that last night, how I had this list for so long and haven't shared it yet, so I had to get on the ball and share it with allyuh. Another thing I think I'm going to do a similar list with music in the conscious thread! This goes into the holidays as well, I've decided to take a twist on the gifts for my brother's n' sistas by giving them nuff knowledge and wisdom as gifts if it's with music, journals to document one's life, and books.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyEmpress
    NP sis...
    Oh yeah I was thinking that last night, how I had this list for so long and haven't shared it yet, so I had to get on the ball and share it with allyuh. Another thing I think I'm going to do a similar list with music in the conscious thread! This goes into the holidays as well, I've decided to take a twist on the gifts for my brother's n' sistas by giving them nuff knowledge and wisdom as gifts if it's with music, journals to document one's life, and books.

Excellent idea!