Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dec Book - A Million Little Pieces

Credits

Dec Book - A Million Little Pieces

We'll start discussing on Dec 12th with the first 2 sections (through pg 219)

Amazon.com - The electrifying opening of James Frey's debut memoir, A Million Little Pieces, smash-cuts to the then 23-year-old author on a Chicago-bound plane "covered with a colorful mixture of spit, snot, urine, vomit and blood." Wanted by authorities in three states, without ID or any money, his face mangled and missing four front teeth, Frey is on a steep descent from a dark marathon of drug abuse. His stunned family checks him into a famed Minnesota drug treatment center where a doctor promises "he will be dead within a few days" if he starts to use again, and where Frey spends two agonizing months of detox confronting "The Fury" head on.

Credits
    I bought the book yesterday at Posman in GCT if anyone works in the area it sells for 12.95, I believe with the tax. So far I find it interesting. Looking forward to the discussion on the 12th.

sharkie
    ok, fine with me. since i finish de book a couple weeks ago.

but what is the next book? i need a head start!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait
    ok, fine with me. since i finish de book a couple weeks ago.

but what is the next book? i need a head start!!
    It doh work so chica...after dis book finish dey will ask fuh suggestions fuh January...

On another note...yuh have mih trying tuh center de page while ah here at work...ah doh want nobody tuh think I'm a sicko when dey see yuh sig.

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by triniprincess76
    It doh work so chica...after dis book finish dey will ask fuh suggestions fuh January...

On another note...yuh have mih trying tuh center de page while ah here at work...ah doh want nobody tuh think I'm a sicko when dey see yuh sig.
    oh ok.

tough luck homie

Credits
    I bought it the other day on the way to work. so far, so good. I'm hoping to sit still and read it all this weekend since it's I won't want to go out in the cold and do anything else.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribsun
    I bought it the other day on the way to work. so far, so good. I'm hoping to sit still and read it all this weekend since it's I won't want to go out in the cold and do anything else.
    I bought it the other day as well. I had to get used to the choppy writing style but now I'm getting into it. So far all I can say is damn! I will better articulate my thoughts on the 12th!

LSK
    Credits
    Damn. I'm in the middle of a four part FBI series... can't stop now.

I guess I'll have to wait until the new year to start this one. Sounds good tho.

Credits
    lsk - u sucka i found it to be a quick read. but when you read it, let us know :)

golden - yeah it takes a minute to get used to but i loved it.

just found he has another book.

Credits
    I've gotten thru about 1/4 of the book and find it very interesting. I still can't beleive the way he was always getting sick and throwing up, especially all that blood! I'm was glad that Leonard was able to get him to stay 24 hours longer. I'm not there yet but, I'm sure this was the turning point for James.

Credits

december book discussion

his writing style is crazy but at the same time its kinda cool. he's writing just the way I'd think he'd be speakin so it makes it more real....

so what do you guys think??? I gotta try not to say too much for those that didn't finish....

chock - its crazy right? but figure people will serious addictions go through stuff like that on the daily....i can't imagine living like that.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by soca junkie
    his writing style is crazy but at the same time its kinda cool. he's writing just the way I'd think he'd be speakin so it makes it more real....

so what do you guys think??? I gotta try not to say too much for those that didn't finish....

chock - its crazy right? but figure people will serious addictions go through stuff like that on the daily....i can't imagine living like that.
    I just started the part where he decides to stay 24 hours. I have cried several times already. The dentist visit was soo powerful, not just because of the pain he had to endure with his teeth, but the knowledge that this is what he had to do to get better and that he had reallt brought this on himself. I can't imagine what that must have been like. He is such a strong person. I have seen many alcohol and drug addicts because of my job but I have never known their personal stories. Now I realize how much if their lives really aren't theirs and how the addiction controls every aspect of their lives from eating and sleeping to relationships with themselves and others...I can't wait to finish.

sharkie
    Quote Originally Posted by soca junkie

i really liked the writing style, from jump. because when i think about it, the book is pretty much based on dialogue, so for it to be filled with a buncha quotation marks and "he said...she said" would be really annoying.

i think it makes it really raw. and this guy's been through some really raw shit.

the dentist situation was horrible, i swear sometimes my stomach turned reading these things, it was horrible to think of. to think that you could cough up so much bile and other weird fluids every morning!!

Credits
    I can usually hear and watch gross stuff and it really doesn't affect me...but I had a chillin' down to my bones when I read the visit to the dentist...I just couldn't imagine the pain...

It's an intense book to say the least...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait
    i really liked the writing style, from jump. because when i think about it, the book is pretty much based on dialogue, so for it to be filled with a buncha quotation marks and "he said...she said" would be really annoying.

i think it makes it really raw. and this guy's been through some really raw shit.

the dentist situation was horrible, i swear sometimes my stomach turned reading these things, it was horrible to think of. to think that you could cough up so much bile and other weird fluids every morning!!
    yeah and him talkin about vomiting chunks of his stomach.
    kids should be made to read this book. maybe they'd think twice before tryin drugs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast