Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Yet another early Ragga Soca track from T&T that proves the Vincies did not start it!

Credits
    Maaaaan, i am trying to follow, but you not making no sense, all i asked was what your definition of DanceHall Soca that you brought up..........?

Clearly, i was pointing out that it had to do somewhat with Jamaican Patwa blended with Calypso or Soca.

You gave me an answer that made no sense relating to anything without Jamaican Patwa......i am ok with that...we not looking to claim anything....

Then you switch back that it is now Ragga Soca you defining, ok......so again, you gave me the same definition nothing acknowledging that it was blended off the Jamaican style of Patwa or Reggae or anything Jamaican....and that is cool.....all i am asking for was the first so call recording of that Ragga Soca......

I assume now you going tell me that Ragga.....was not taken from the Jamaican slang Raggamuffen.....?

Smh.. .

Why you being so evasive ?

Due, i would never underestimate the talent pool oit ofvSt Vincent regarding Music.

But your claim here aint adding up, it just seems more convoluted than meaning posts.

Credits
    One last note here .....point me to your definition of Ragga Soca from an established industry source.....not yours that you wrote, or if that is it. Direct me to it....

Thanks.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post
    Maaaaan, i am trying to follow, but you not making no sense, all i asked was what your definition of DanceHall Soca that you brought up..........?

Clearly, i was pointing out that it had to do somewhat with Jamaican Patwa blended with Calypso or Soca.

You gave me an answer that made no sense relating to anything without Jamaican Patwa......i am ok with that...we not looking to claim anything....

Then you switch back that it is now Ragga Soca you defining, ok......so again, you gave me the same definition nothing acknowledging that it was blended off the Jamaican style of Patwa or Reggae or anything Jamaican....and that is cool.....all i am asking for was the first so call recording of that Ragga Soca......

I assume now you going tell me that Ragga.....was not taken from the Jamaican slang Raggamuffen.....?

Smh.. .

Why you being so evasive ?

Due, i would never underestimate the talent pool oit ofvSt Vincent regarding Music.

But your claim here aint adding up, it just seems more convoluted than meaning posts.
    I have OUTLINED what it is SINCE you ASKED me and U still ASKING the SAME QUESTION that I have ALREADY ANSWERED like a ZILLION TIMES already in this VERY THREAD.

U NEED to READ and COMPREHEND what is WRITTEN, MY FRIEND.

Credits
    Vp,

You stated :

"How many TIMES do you want me to TYPE "Slow DOWN the BEAT and BOUNCE the MUSIC, MIXED a REGGAE and SOCA GROOVE"?"

Ok, where did you get this definition from....?...because i am seeing otherwise that i have pointed out to you already ...

Give me a clear established reference point and i am done here...regarding the definition!

Credits
    Vp,

You stated :

"How many TIMES do you want me to TYPE "Slow DOWN the BEAT and BOUNCE the MUSIC, MIXED a REGGAE and SOCA GROOVE"?"

Ok, where did you get this definition from....?...because i am seeing otherwise that i have pointed out to you already ...

Give me a clear established reference point and i am done here...regarding the definition!
    That CAME DIRECTLY from an ARTIST, WINSTON SOSO, in his TITLED song "RAGGA SOCA"

I CAN SHOW U DIRECT INFO from an ARTIST and not from any GENERIC NONSENSE you find from the INTERNET or no FOOL FOOL CLAIMS of SOCA-AMATEUR'S.

This is COMING DIRECTLY from a LEGEND in the INDUSTRY, Winston Soso.

But I did not even NEED to know that, because it is SO OBVIOUS, IF U have KEEN EARS for MUSIC that is. U know it is about the MIXTURE of the REGGAE and SOCA INTERTWINED as ONE to CREATE what is NOW KNOWN as RAGGA SOCA.

YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEE

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    That CAME DIRECTLY from an ARTIST, WINSTON SOSO, in his TITLED song "RAGGA SOCA"

I CAN SHOW U DIRECT INFO from an ARTIST and not from any GENERIC NONSENSE you find from the INTERNET or no FOOL FOOL CLAIMS of SOCA-AMATEUR'S.

This is COMING DIRECTLY from a LEGEND in the INDUSTRY, Winston Soso.

But I did not even NEED to know that, because it is SO OBVIOUS, IF U have KEEN EARS for MUSIC that is. U know it is about the MIXTURE of the REGGAE and SOCA INTERTWINED as ONE to CREATE what is NOW KNOWN as RAGGA SOCA.

YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEE
    OK, fair enough, " his " definition.

Will, I am looking for that so call definition, so far that , for me , I will stick with that textbook explanation......I think Red Plastic Bag...broke it down best WITH Ragga Ragga.
    Socapro likes this.

Credits

Will, I am looking for that so call definition, so far that , for me , I will stick with that textbook explanation......I think Red Plastic Bag...broke it down best WITH Ragga Ragga.
    HIS DEFINITION?

The MAN is a LEGEND

Red Plastic Bag's "RAGGA RAGGA" DEFINING SONG , IMHO, is what GAVE the GENRE its PERMANENT name.

That song was a MASSIVE HIT not only in the CARIBBEAN but in CENTRAL and SOUTH AMERICA as well.

You had REGGAE SOCA, DANCEHALL SOCA and RAGGA SOCA.

But it has always been about the SOUND, the BEAT, RHYTHMIC PATTERN, the MUSICAL MIXTURE of BOTH GENRES.

If U LISTENED KEENLY to the LYRICS of "RAGGA SOCA" by Winston Soso, FROM BEGINNING TO END, there can be ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT what the ESSENCE and SOUL of the GENRE is.

People KEEP FORGETTING that, for EXAMPLE, SONGS like "PUMP ME UP" by KROSFYAH was RAGGA SOCA.

As a MATTER of FACT, all BAJANS MUSIC of that FLAVOR were LABELED as such.

The PROBLEM IS, U GUYS do not KNOW why they CHANGED it around to "SWEET SOCA" in the SECOND DECADE of the 21st CENTURY.

U have to be an INFORMED CONNOISSEUR of MUSIC and NOT a GOOGLE SEARCH SHIT TALKER to know what is going on in this INDUSTRY.

From the TIME U HEARD the DRUMMING, GUITAR STRUMMING and the BASSLINE in the INTRO, U DID NOT NEED to HEAR EDWIN YEARWOOD say a WORD to know that you're about to HEAR/LISTEN to a RAGGA SOCA song.

Credits

I got the definition posted below from Kenny Phillips when I interviewed him via Skype and via email a number of years ago when I was doing some research into when the term Ragga Soca was first used and who came up with the term.

And since it was Kenny Phillips who came up with the term and who defined it, it is his definition that I refer to whenever I wish to judge if a soca song is genuinely a Ragga Soca.

Ragga Soca Definition

RaggaSoca is a soca sub-genre that was branded by Kenny Phillips in early 1993 after that soca sub-genre had taken off with Byron Lee's massive 1993 T&T Carnival hit called "Dancehall Soca" that was written and sung by Preacher of T&T and Admiral Bailey of JA, and was arranged by Kenny Phillips of T&T and Neville Hinds of JA and produced by the legendary Byron Lee.

Raggamuffin DJ style chanting was first heard in soca music in 1981 in a hit song called "Irie Tempo" by Lord Laro that was very popular during the T&T 1981 Carnival season but the term ragga soca was not coined until over a decade later in 1993 by producer/arranger Kenny Phillips in early 1993 during T&T's carnival season.

The massive hit "Dancehall Soca" by Byron Lee & The Dragonaries (written and sung by Preacher of T&T and Admiral Bailey of JA and arranged by Kenny Phillips of T&T and Neville Hinds of JA) marked the start of the 1990's Ragga Soca craze when almost all the established soca artists decided to jump onto the ragga soca bandwagon.

BYRON LEE AND THE DRAGONAIRES - DANCE HALL SOCA - (MUSIC VIDEO)(1993)

Sung by Preacher with Dancehall Chanting by Admiral Bailey
    Written by Barnett "Preacher" Henry & Kenny Phillips
    Arranged by Kenny Phillips & Neville Hinds
    Produced by Byron Lee

The popularity of Ragga Soca in T&T during the 1990's with young artists like General Grant, Ziggy Ranking, Major Ranks, Magga Dan, Bunji Garlin, Benjai, KMC, Menace, etc switching from Dancehall to Soca led to a massive Ragga Soca explosion and ultimately the birth of the Ragga Soca Monarch competition in T&T in 1999 that was eventually adopted by the Vincies in 2001.

General Grant - D Shot Call (1992)

Written by Curtis Grant & Produced & Arranged by $hel $hok & John Afoon

Ajala feat. General Grant - Rude Girl Party (1993)

Written by Curtis Grant & Keith Sutherland
    Arranged by A. Forde, D. Phillips & K. Phillips
    Engineered by Sean Poland; Produced by Robin Imamshah

The first person to produce an entire raggasoca riddim album was Chinese Laundry with his Pig Tail Riddim album featuring various soca and reggae artists in 1999. 1999 was by no coincidence the same year that the first Ragga Soca Monarch competition in history was launched in T&T during the 1999 Carnival season.

Chinese Laundry - Most Of All (Pig Tail Riddim) [Soca 1999] [HD]

Producer: Ken Holder
    Executive Producer: Chinese Laundry Music
    Recorded @ Link Up Productions

Here is a nice DJ mix of some of the artists featured on the Pig Tail Riddim album that was released back in 1999 due to the ragga soca craze that had taken over T&T together with the Jump & Wave and Rapso soca crazes during the 1990's.

DJ FREDO Pig Tail Riddim Mix Various artists (1999)

Producer – Ken Holder, Executive Producer – Chinese Laundry Music

Artists featured in this DJ Fredo Pigtail mix are:-

1. Capleton - Fire
    2. Preacher & Isis - I Wanna Dance
    3. Third Bass & Destra - Just A Friend
    4. Chinese Laundry - Most Of All
    5. Ital D - Pig Tail Time
    6. Edwin Yearwood & Merciless - Queen Of The Pack
    7. Alison Hinds - Ready
    8. C.L. Sound System - Pig Tail Beats

For full Pigtail Riddim album details go to this link: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pig-...elease/1262227

The recording evidence clearly shows that Ragga Soca was birthed mainly from a collaborative effort between Jamaica and T&T with important contributions later on from Barbados and then finally SVG in that order.
    I think the Bajans had a natural affinity to ragga soca from early in its life because spouge which the Bajans had developed in the 1960's via Jackie Opel, Desmond Weekes and others was mainly a fusion of ska with calypso and contains a similar fusion and vibe as ragga soca music which came later on after soca in the 1970's and then dancehall in the 1980's became established.
    socapineman likes this.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    From the TIME U HEARD the DRUMMING, GUITAR STRUMMING and the BASSLINE in the INTRO, U DID NOT NEED to HEAR EDWIN YEARWOOD say a WORD to know that you're about to HEAR/LISTEN to a RAGGA SOCA song.
    "Pump Me Up" by Krosfyah is really soca with a traditional calypso beat and a Bajan spouge influence just like these first two tunes which follow:-.

Troubadours - Talk (1995)

Album : Nice Time
    Produced & Arranged by Nicholas Brancker

Lord Shorty - Bajan Girl (1973)

From Album : Gone Gone Gone
    Produced by Lord Shorty & Henry Antoine
    Arranged By Lord Shorty, Ralph Moore & Tony Mergel

I think Nicholas Brancker the producer of both "Pump Me Up" by Krosfyah and "Talk" by Troubadours mentioned it (spouge influence) in an interview some years ago. So none of those three soca tracks above without the Jamaican dancehall DJ chanting are really ragga soca tracks in the true sense.

Regards the traditional calypso beat that you hear in both "Pump Me Up" and "Talk", here it is in a Shadow track recorded in 1976 for the 1977 T&T Carnival season.

The Shadow - Don't (1976/1977)

Written by Winston Bailey; Accompanied & Arranged by Art De Coteau
    Produced by Richie's Music Productions

And this instrumental track from the 1950's also features the traditional calypso beat.

Cyril Diaz & His Orchestra - Voodoo (1959)

Recorded At – The Strand Cinema, PoS, Trinidad
    Alto Saxophone – Harold de Freitas, Johnny Dupres
    Bass – Desmond Harper
    Bongos – Clarence Curvan
    Congas – Patrick Diaz
    Drums – Kenneth "Sonny" Bain
    Guitar – Errol McLean
    Piano – Cyril Mitchell
    Steel Drums – "Barong"
    Tenor Saxophone – Cyril Diaz
    Trumpet – B. Atwell, H. Bonnell
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    VP,

The verdict is in........clearly, Socapro was able to convey his facts with timeline and documentation, etc

You have failed to prove your claim imo and many others reading around the world........

I dont even see one person backing up your claim.....and you a likeable guy !

I am sure there is always that gray area where someone can point out... wait...i was doing this already, it just wasnt named , etc.....

Fair enough, i dont see it here !

So we rule in favor of Socapro......

Nothing personal.....i like you, lol.....

You just evasive with your facts !

On your appeal ....lol, what good lawyers will do........you said Becket coined the term or used it 4 to 5 yrs before Byron Lee......Dancehall Soca

Can you post that documentation while we prepare the appeal documents ?
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Now that Socapineman's verdict is in I dedicate this 1995 Ragga Soca classic by Second Imij to VP as all I can sing in celebration of my easy victory is the chorus of this song "Na Na Na Na Na Na!!"

G.B.T.V. 1995: Second Imij feat Russell Cadogan & Ghetto Flex - Na Na (1995)

10-20-95 - CALYPSO & STEELBAND SUNSHINE AWARDS @ BMCC., NEW YORK CITY...
    Arranged By Julius Cooper & George Ng Wai. 1995
    Composed By – Russell Cadogan
    Lead Vocals – Russell Cadogan
    Rap/Ragga Chant – Hilton Dalzell Jr. aka Ghetto Flex
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    VP,

The verdict is in........clearly, Socapro was able to convey his facts with timeline and documentation, etc

You have failed to prove your claim imo and many others reading around the world........

I dont even see one person backing up your claim.....and you a likeable guy !

I am sure there is always that gray area where someone can point out... wait...i was doing this already, it just wasnt named , etc.....

Fair enough, i dont see it here !

So we rule in favor of Socapro......

Nothing personal.....i like you, lol.....

You just evasive with your facts !

On your appeal ....lol, what good lawyers will do........you said Becket coined the term or used it 4 to 5 yrs before Byron Lee......Dancehall Soca

Can you post that documentation while we prepare the appeal documents ?
    Who is BACKING UP SOCA-AMATEUR'S CLAIM?

Oh YEAH, SOCAPINE.

I am SUGGESTING that you GO and CHECK The THREADS on this ISSUE. NUFF people have BACKUP my CLAIM.

SOCAPINE, U R such a WUSS. Look how SOCA-AMATEUR have you EATING from the PALM of his HANDS.

Let me go EXPOSE further the HOLES in SOCA-AMATEUR'S ONCE more, because U R OBVIOUSLY not THINKING or even AWARE of what is GOING on.

SMH.

Credits
    Who is BACKING UP SOCA-AMATEUR'S CLAIM?

Oh YEAH, SOCAPINE.

I am SUGGESTING that you GO and CHECK The THREADS on this ISSUE. NUFF people have BACKUP my CLAIM.

SOCAPINE, U R such a WUSS. Look how SOCA-AMATEUR have you EATING from the PALM of his HANDS.

Let me EXPOSE further the HOLES in SOCAPINE ONCE more, because U R OBVIOUSLY not THINKING or even AWARE of what is GOING on.

SMH.
    Oh yeah. LET ME SHOW U BECKET is the FIRST to USE the TERM DANCEHALL SOCA before BYRON LEE came out with song DANCEHALL SOCA.

"SINCE AH SMALL/DANCEHALL SOCA" by BECKETT was RELEASED in 1988, FIVE YEARS before BYRON LEE came out with DANCEHALL SOCA.

BECKET COINED the TERM "DANCEHALL SOCA", because that is what he has been DOING since 1977 with "COMING HIGH"

I HOPE that HELPS.

I DO NOT MAKE THINGS UP out of THIN AIR like SOCA-AMATEUR.

Let me GO and SCHOOL him ONCE MORE for MEMBERS and OBSERVERS to SEE and ENJOY.

Credits
    Since SOCAPINE is EITHER too SLOW or too EMOTIONALLY ATTACH to the HIP of SOCA-AMATEUR, because he wants PIECE of the CREDIT to go to JAMAICA, courtesy of BYRON LEE and the DRAGONAIRES or even YELLOWMAN for the CREATION of RAGGA SOCA, that will not STOP me from DEMONSTRATING to MEMBERS and OBSERVERS that SOCA-AMATEUR is DOING NOTHING more than just "TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS" or MOVING the GOALPOST on the ISSUE of RAGGA SOCA.

First UP, he said that the SONG by BECKET was "STRAIGHT SOCA" instead of RAGGA SOCA , even thought it has all the ELEMENTS that DEFINED the GENRE.

Not only THAT, U can SEE BECKET and even PEOPLE DANCING to the SONG in a MANNER that is REMINISCING of REGGAE/DANCEHALL INFLUENCE.

When someone could LISTEN to that SONG and says it is "STRAIGHT SOCA", U know that PERSON is EITHER LYING through his TEETH, is DELUSIONAL or SIMPLY KNOWS absolutely NOTHING about SOCA MUSIC.

Moreover, I TOLD him to SHOW the PROOF that that SONG is "STRAIGHT SOCA", all NOW he CANNOT PROVIDE the EVIDENCE.

But of COURSE, SOCAPINE, his LIKKLE PUPPET, has NOTHING to say on that SCORE. But I KNOW what that is all about, so I am not SURPRISE.

Like I said, ANYONE who has an EAR for MUSIC can CLEARLY HEAR the REGGAE INFLUENCE in the ARRANGEMENT and BEAT of the song.

I can BREAK DOWN the OBVIOUS TELL TALE SIGNS of this FACT, but I will SAVE it for LATER.

Since he calls himself "SOCA-PRO", which is just PLAIN LAUGHABLE, let him TELL US why it is "STRAIGHT SOCA".

Moreover, I have already CHALLENGED HIM and he has yet to PROVIDE (HE CANNOT PROVIDE the evidence, because he WILL NEVER EVER FIND another RHYTHM PATTERN like it unless it is from another FRANKIE MCINTOSH ARRANGED track) the EVIDENCE of a SONG that is SIMILAR to SHOW that it is "STRAIGHT SOCA" and he has NOT.

It is because HE CANNOT.

All he was doing was TALKING out of his ASS to CAMOUFLAGE his OWN INCOMPETENCE and PROPENSITY for LYING.

It was because I used to EXPOSE his LYING ASS when he FIRST CAME to SOCA CHAT that LED him to PRETEND that he had me on IGNORE for all those YEARS.

Anyhow, it is another way of SAYING, he was making a FALLACIOUS statement, because he CANNOT PROVIDE EVIDENCE to SUPPORT his CLAIM.

Again, I CHALLENGE HIM to PROVIDE the PROOF that the SONG in QUESTION is "STRAIGHT SOCA".

I MEAN, the CLAIM is so LUDICROUS and HILARIOUS that I should have just ENDED the ARGUMENT right there until he PROVIDED PROOF to SUPPORT his CLAIM.

So here is my CHALLENGE to HIM, AGAIN, PROVIDE the EVIDENCE that the SONG by BECKETT above is "STRAIGHT SOCA".

And here is my CHALLENGE for SOCAPINE.

Let me see if U R MAN enough, instead of ACTING like a FANBOY, to tell SOCA-AMATEUR to PRODUCE the EVIDENCE that the SONG by BECKET is "STRAIGHT SOCA".

GROW SOME BALLS, SOCAPINE.

The BALL is NOW in your COURT.

So we know the SONG is RAGGA SOCA as I have already POINTED OUT. The BURDEN NOW is on SOCA-AMATEUR to PROVE OTHERWISE.

Talking out of his ASS by SAYING it is "STRAIGHT SOCA" is NOT EVIDENCE that it is not RAGGA SOCA.

Well, ONLY if he is TALKING to his FANBOY and PUPPET that is, SOCAPINE.

I have already EXPOSED many of his TALKING out of his ASS STATEMENTS (LARO'S SONG, EXPLAINER'S SONG, CHARLIE'S ROOTS' song, LORD SHORTY'S SONG, etc) so to SAVE TIME, I am not going to go into DETAILS again, because the FACTUAL EVIDENCE are there to SUPPORT my CLAIM.

Now, I MENTIONED "PUMP ME UP" by Krosfyah as being a RAGGA SOCA SONG. Like CLOCKWORK, what did SOCA-AMATEUR say?

Well, he did what he KNOWS BEST, TALKING out of his ASS.

I EXPOSED him to the FACT that the SONG by LORD SHORTY "BAJAN GIRL" is a SPOUGE SONG.

Of course, what did HE DO?

TALKED out of his ASS ONCE more as he did witht he BECKET SONG.

He said the SONG is not ENTIRELY SPOUGE, as if he KNEW it was SPOUGE in the FIRST PLACE.

This GUY is a REAL CLOWN.

So what did he do with "PUMP ME UP"?

He said "Pump Me Up" by Krosfyah is really soca with a traditional calypso beat and a Bajan spouge influence...."

Now does that MAKE ANY KIND of DAMN SENSE???

How could it be SOCA with a "TRADITIONAL CALYPSO BEAT" and "BAJAN SPOUGE INFLUENCE"???

MUHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That means that "PUMP ME UP" CANNOT BE SOCA in the FIRST PLACE because of the INFLUENCES he CLAIMS it has.

But what MAKES THIS even MORE LAUGHABLE is the FACT that the FOOL did not even KNOW what the ASS SPOUGE was, else he would have KNOWN that the SONG by LORD SHORTY is SPOUGE, but here he is talking about PUMP ME UP has SPOUGE INFLUENCES.

LOL n SMH

Of course, he has NO EVIDENCE to SUPPORT his CLAIM outside of RUNNING his STINKING and DECEITFUL MOUTH, which SOCAPINE seems to have INHALED because he has to be TOTALLY UNDER the INFLUENCE of some KIND of BAD ODOR to not see the TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS responses by SOCA-AMATEUR.

But just to CEMENT the FACT FURTHER, let me POST a SCREENSHOT of an EXCERPT from an ARTICLE that came out in the 1990's on "PUMP ME UP" and "RAGGA SOCA".

So yes, SCHOOL is OVER ONCE MORE.

So, my FRIEND, SOCAPINE, CONTINUE SMELLING the RUBBISH that COMES OUT of SOCA-AMATEUR'S ASS and I will CONTINUE to EDUCATE the people on the VINCY CREATED RAGGA SOCA.

AH WE TING this

We CREATED it in the 1970's. We NURTURED it from that POINT FORWARD to the PRESENT.

BECKET is the only ARTIST that you can CITE from the 1970's STRAIGHT UP to the END of the 20th CENTURY when iut comes to RAGGA SOCA.

He is the MASTER and the CREATOR alongside his COLLABORATOR Frankie McIntosh.

They're the CREATORS of RAGGA SOCA.

It is the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC and that is why it is a VINCY who TOOK it GLOBAL and took the WORLD by STORM.

We're the TRENDSETTERS, INNOVATORS and GROUND BREAKERS of this INDUSTRY.

YUHHHHHH SEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another early Ragga Soca track from T&T that proves the Vincies did not start it!-ragga1.png  

Credits
    Oh yeah. LET ME SHOW U BECKET is the FIRST to USE the TERM DANCEHALL SOCA before BYRON LEE came out with song DANCEHALL SOCA.

"SINCE AH SMALL/DANCEHALL SOCA" by BECKETT was RELEASED in 1988, FIVE YEARS before BYRON LEE came out with DANCEHALL SOCA.

BECKET COINED the TERM "DANCEHALL SOCA", because that is what he has been DOING since 1977 with "COMING HIGH"

I HOPE that HELPS.

I DO NOT MAKE THINGS UP out of THIN AIR like SOCA-AMATEUR.

Let me GO and SCHOOL him ONCE MORE for MEMBERS and OBSERVERS to SEE and ENJOY.
    Regards Becket coining the term "Dancehall Soca" we don't know that for sure. Becket could have been the first to use the term "dancehall soca" in a studio recording but even that is not 100% certain as not all dancehall and soca fusion recordings that were done during the 1980's have yet been uploaded to YouTube.
    A recording featuring the term "dancehall soca" done before 1988 could very well be uploaded to YouTube in the future if not already uploaded but still to be identified, so we don't know for 100% if a recording with the term "dancehall soca" done before 1988 don’t exist.

There is also evidence that artists like Byron Lee, Fabulous 5, Lord Laro, Sound Revolution, etc who all regularly did songs fusing reggae and dancehall with soca during the 1980's, many times would have improvised and come up with lyrics and terms during their live performances that were not originally included in their studio recordings.

For example the recording below by Sound Revolution called "Dancehall Style" which was also done in 1988 uses the term "Dancehall style" to describe the soca fusion they were promoting in the song but who is to say for sure that Sound Rev did not improvise and use the term "Dancehall Style Soca" or "Dancehall Soca" during their live performances and in interviews to describe the fusion in that particular hit song?

Sound Revolution - Dancehall Style (1988)

Written by A. Lewis & Arranged by Colin Lucas
    Produced by Sound Revolution & Crosby's Music Centre

It’s also interesting to note that after Sound Revolution broke up, Colin Lucas who was involved in composing or arranging all their dancehall and soca fusion hits in the 1980's went on to do produce quite a number of ragga soca hits during the 1990's when the Ragga Soca craze had taken hold.

So Becket could have been the first to use the term "Dancehall Soca" on record but we can't be 100% sure that he is the one who coined the term. We can however give Becket the credit for now for using it first in a recording until evidence to prove otherwise turns up.

Here is another thing, regards Becket supposedly coining the term "Dancehall Soca" and that being a big deal to the Vincies here is the logical question which comes to mind. Why were the Vincies so follow fashion in regards to copying what T&T was doing where calypso and soca music is concerned?

If Vincies believed that one of their countrymen Becket coined the term "Dancehall Soca" in 1988 then why abandon that term to adopt the term "Ragga Soca" that the Trinis came up with in early 1993 to brand the rapidly growing soca sub-genre?

Also why couldn't the Vincies be original and name their competition (copied by name and everything else from the Trinis in 2001) the "Dancehall Soca Monarch" competition rather than the "Ragga Soca Monarch" competition to distinguish themselves from the Trinis and being able to do something that looks original rather obviously copying exactly what the Trinis were doing?

To me the logical and patriotic thing for the Vincies to do was to name their competition the Vincy Dancehall Soca Monarch in 2001 if they wanted to stamp their name as the originators of that particular soca sub-genre.

To me that move by the Vincies of calling their competition the Vincy "Ragga Soca Monarch" competition after what the Trinis had called their competition don't make much sense if they were seeking recognition for creating that particular style of soca first before anyone else.
    socapineman likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast