Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 96
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Yet another early Ragga Soca track from T&T that proves the Vincies did not start it!

  1. #31
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    Feel FREE to POINT OUT the SOCA ELEMENT in IRIE TEMPO.

    SMH

  2. #32
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,590
    Credits
    880,832,147
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Feel FREE to POINT OUT the SOCA ELEMENT in IRIE TEMPO.

    SMH
    The soca elements in "Irie Tempo" are in the bassline pattern, horn-line arrangements and also in Laro's singing style, the topic he covers which is playing mas, enjoying steelband and soca, etc and also the tempo of the song. The reggae elements in the song are in the drumbeats and guitar strumming style while the dancehall elements are obviously in Trinity's DJ chanting style. The song is thus obviously a fusion of both soca/calypso and reggae/dancehall.

    Lord Laro feat Trinity - Irie Tempo (1981)

    Written by Kenneth Lara; Produced by Paul Khouri

    This style was sometimes referred to as Reggae-lypso and Reggae Soca back in the late 1970's and early 1980's in T&T as the term ragga soca was not coined until early 1993.
    The fusion of both music genres in "Irie Tempo" is obvious to anyone who is familiar with soca and reggae and who doesn’t have hearing problems but obviously this will count out a certified musical dunce like VP.

    Here again is a classic hit from Explainer from 1979 with the same fusion as "Irie Tempo" but without the dancehall DJ chanting.

    Explainer - We Just Can't Go On This Way (1979)

    Written by Winston Henry and Arranged by Godwin Bowen, Produced by Boaex Records

    And here is a typical track by Shadow fusing reggae elements with soca which is a fusion that Shadow has regularly done ever since he did the fusion track called "Reggae Calypso" back in 1975.

    Shadow - Let's Get It Together (1984)

    Written, Produced & Arranged by by Winston Bailey aka Shadow

    As I have been pointing out with evidence of music recordings, the Vincies have done very little if anything first where soca music is concerned but they have definitely given us some great musical contributions over the years.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  3. #33
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    Dude, SHUT YPUR DUMBASS UP bout the SOCA ELEMENT is in the BASSLINE PATTERN and HORN ARRANGEMENTS.

    n SMH

    The SONG, BASS LINE, HORNS, GUITAR and DRUMS are STRICTLY REGGAE.

    Lyrically, IS TO us simply telling you about CARNIVAL.

    In other words, FOOLIO, there is NOT OUNCE of SOCA ELEMENT in the BEAT/RHYTHM or STRUCTURE of the song.

    Yo u have to be a MUSIC CONNOISSEUR like me to INSTANTLY IDENTIFY the BEAT and SOUND of that song by LARO.

    I can pull up hundred REGGAE songs, which were referred to as LOVERS ROCK from that ERA with the same MUSICAL PATTERN and ARRANGEMENT.

    For example, this song by EDDIE LOVE THE.


    U R just TALKIKNG OUT of your ASS, just because U can. with your MANUFACTURED STORIES.

    LOL n SMH@SOCA BASS LINE and HORN ARRANGEMENTS

  4. #34
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    Laro's STYLE of SINGING is SIMILAR to that of ERNIE SMITH and PLUTO SHERVINGTON.

    Quite NATURALLY, because he was BASED in Jamaica.

    Practically all his SONGS were PRODUCED/ARRANGED by and PLAYED by Jamaicans.

    Still LOL n SMH@BASSLINE is SOCA.

    I knew DUDE was NEOPHYTE WHEN IT COMES TO MUSIC, but this one BEATS the CAKE.

  5. #35
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    SOCA AMATEUR, here, GO LEARN the RHYTHM/BEAT and STRUCTURE of RAGGA SOCA MUSIC.

    Let the MASTER of this VINCY CREATED GENRE, BECKET, show you how it is DONE.


    AH VINCY THING.

    It COMES NATURALLY to US, because it is the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.

  6. #36
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    SOCA AMATEUR, here, GO LEARN the RHYTHM/BEAT and STRUCTURE of RAGGA SOCA MUSIC.

    Let the MASTER of this VINCY CREATED GENRE, BECKET, show you how it is DONE.


    AH VINCY THING.

    It COMES NATURALLY to US, because it is the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.
    MEMBERS and OBSERVERS, that was the MASTER of this VINCY CREATED ART FORM called RAGGA SOCA, BECKET, DEMONSTRATING to all the ESSENCE of what makes this HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.

    You saw mot only the LYRICAL DELIVERY but the DANCING
    as well. And as usual, you have the REBLES BAND backing up BECKET with APLOMB, because they too are the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of the VINCY CREATED RAGGA SOCA MUSIC.

    YUHHHHHH SEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEE

  7. #37
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,590
    Credits
    880,832,147
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    SOCA AMATEUR, here, GO LEARN the RHYTHM/BEAT and STRUCTURE of RAGGA SOCA MUSIC.

    Let the MASTER of this VINCY CREATED GENRE, BECKET, show you how it is DONE.


    AH VINCY THING.

    It COMES NATURALLY to US, because it is the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.
    Thanks for proving once again to the forum that you are indeed a musical dunce who can teach myself or anyone else who knows music absolutely nothing about music in general and soca music in particular.

    That Becket song just above is a straight soca song that contains zero reggae or ragga elements either in the instrumentation or the lyrical delivery.

    In addition I have already pointed out that there was no such soca sub-genre being branded as Vincy Ragga Soca until the Vincy Ragga Soca Monarch competition was copied from the T&T version in 2001.
    However long before then Ragga Soca was branded by T&T artists and musicians from since the early 1990's which eventually led to the Ragga Soca Monarch competition being launched in T&T in 1999.

    "Irie Tempo" has clear elements of soca fused with reggae which is typical of numerous soca songs made by T&T artists in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

    Here is another popular soca song from Explainer fusing elements of reggae that was popularly played at the soca fetes in T&T during Carnival 1981 alongside Lord Laro's "Irie Tempo".

    Explainer - Rass Mass (1980/1981)

    Written by Winston Henry and Arranged by Godwin Bowen
    Produced by Rawlston Charles and Winston Henry


    And here is another reggae and soca fusion hit from the same period by André Tanker that was remixed by Maximus Dan in 2008 in tribute to André Tanker who sadly died of a heart attack in 2003.

    André Tanker - Hosannah (1980)

    Written, Produced and Arranged by André Tanker

    And here is the remixed Maximus Dan version with the raggamuffin vocal element added!

    Maximus Dan Feat. André Tanker - Hosannah Fire (2008)

    Written by Andre Tanker and Maximus Dan;
    Produced and Arranged by André Tanker
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  8. #38
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    You is a REAL JOKER yes.

    That song by BECKET is STRAIGHT SOCA??

    MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    I am even more CONVINCED that not only are you TONE DEAF, as your NONSENSE about the BASS LINE and HORN arrangement in IRIE JAM is SOCA, U R in DENIAL as well.

    How are you GOING to LISTEN to that SONG, hear the VOCAL DELIVERY, SINGJAY STYLE by Becket, even the CHANTING, WATCH the DANCING by BECKET and people in the AUDIENCE and then CONCLUDE that it is STRAIGHT SOCA??

    U R a SICK HUMAN BEING.

    To PROVE the POINT, show us another SOCA SONG like it, since it is STRAIGHT SOCA.

    As a MATTER of FACT, U will NEVER EVER FIND another SONG OUTSIDE of VINCYLAND that that has a SIMILAR ARRANGEMENT outside of it being a FRANKIE MCINTOSH ARRANGED song.

    You have NO CLUE what is REGGAE and U have NO CLUE what is RAGGA SOCA.

    U have CONTRADICTED yourself, and I will POINT them out in DUE TIME, so many times ALREADY, that it just makes your PRESENTATIONS LAUGHABLE.

    Let me say again, Lord Laro's song is STRICTLY REGGAE. The RHYTHMIC PATTERN is that of songs under the UMBRELLA of LOVERS ROCK, which DOMINATED that ERA.
    Moreover, LARO'S MUSIC are ARRANGED and PLAYED by Jamaicans.
    The only connection to Trinidad is the fact that Laro was born there. But from the late 1960's, Laro has been LIVING in Jamaica.
    I am not going to even ADDRESS Laro anymore, because it is just NONSENSICAL as it PERTAINS to RAGGA SOCA.

    Nothing in his MUSIC says RAGGA SOCA, because the MIXTURE or INTERTWINING of both GENRES is ABSENT.

    Now he PUSHING songs like Ras Mas as RAGGA SOCA.

    LOL n SMH

    Dude, let me GIVE FURTHER LESSONS on the VINCY CREATED RAGGA SOCA.

    BECKET SPELT OUT his SOUND and MUSIC in LYRICS way back in 1978 with "DIG ME CALYPSO

    Just LISTEN to EVERY VERSE of the SONG.

    Pay CLOSE ATTENTION to the BASELINE IN THE INTRO, because U NEVER EVER HEARD it at anytime in SOCA MUSIC during that ERA.

    PERIOD!!

    ORIGINAL RAGGA SOCA, NUMBER ONE.

    I BRING U to 1995, 23 years later, to the REMIX with CURTY BANTON.

    All you have to do is just WATCH the DANCING by TOMMY JOSEPH when he INTRODUCED BECKET. That is all you HAVE to SEE to END this FOOL FOOL DISCUSSION.


    This AH VINCY MUSIC.

    CREATED and NURTURED by us from its BIRTH in the 1970's to the PRESENT.

    U KNOW this is VINCY MUSIC, because we are the ONES who TOOK it GLOBAL AND TOOK THE WORLD by STORM.

    AH VINCY THING this.

    YUHHHH SEE SEE MEEEEE

  9. #39
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,590
    Credits
    880,832,147
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    You is a REAL JOKER yes.
    That song by BECKET is STRAIGHT SOCA??
    Yes it is and if you don't know that then you are definitely the biggest music illiterate currently living on this planet.

    Almost every single person in that audience in 1992 would have viewed that song that Becket performed as a soca song and some may also have viewed it as a calypso because many folks referred to soca songs as calypso and vice versa back then and some still do to this day.

    Desperate Vincies like yourself did not start back-labelling and incorrectly referring to as raggasoca, old songs with no ragga element that were previously simply viewed as calypso or soca songs until after the Vincy Ragga Soca Monarch competition was copied from T&T in 2001.

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    I am even more CONVINCED that not only are you TONE DEAF, as your NONSENSE about the BASS LINE and HORN arrangement in IRIE JAM is SOCA, U R in DENIAL as well.
    No one honestly cares what a proven music illiterate like yourself thinks VP.

    Firstly I never said that "Irie Tempo" is a straight soca track as it clearly is a fusion of elements of both soca and reggae and I even mentioned which elements in the song I view as soca and which I view as reggae.

    Here is what I said again so your lame attempt to try to twist and misrepresent what I said to fit your agenda of self-delusion will not work here:-

    The soca elements in "Irie Tempo" are in the bassline pattern, horn-line arrangements and also in Laro's singing style, the topic he covers which is playing mas, enjoying steelband and soca, etc and also the tempo of the song.
    The reggae elements in the song are in the drumbeats and guitar strumming style while the dancehall elements are obviously in Trinity's DJ chanting style. The song is thus obviously a fusion of both soca/calypso and reggae/dancehall.
    Regards your argument about the bassline not being a soca style I cannot take arguments that VP makes about basslines seriously after you repeated the nonsense that Becket said in an interview regards the bassline in Kitchener’s "Sugar Bum Bum" being taken from his "Coming High" when both songs have totally different basslines. Becket must have smoked some marijuana and gotten high before coming up with that nonsense!

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    How are you GOING to LISTEN to that SONG, hear the VOCAL DELIVERY, SINGJAY STYLE by Becket, even the CHANTING, WATCH the DANCING by BECKET and people in the AUDIENCE and then CONCLUDE that it is STRAIGHT SOCA??
    Nothing about Becket's singing style is raggamufin Jamaican style and the music as I said is straight soca. The closest thing to what we can stretch to be raggamufin chanting in that Becket performance was when Becket left the stage at the end and handed the mic to one of the band members who tried to sing a little bit of the chorus in the last 10 seconds before the video ended.

    VP honestly needs to go into stand-up comedy trying to sell that Becket song as a raggasoca to intelligent people!

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    U R a SICK HUMAN BEING.
    You seem to be looking for company VP but sorry to disappoint you I am not an escapee from the mental asylum like yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    To PROVE the POINT, show us another SOCA SONG like it, since it is STRAIGHT SOCA.

    As a MATTER of FACT, U will NEVER EVER FIND another SONG OUTSIDE of VINCYLAND that that has a SIMILAR ARRANGEMENT outside of it being a FRANKIE MCINTOSH ARRANGED song.
    Nothing you can say or type can make that Becket song a ragga soca unless you are on some sort of mind altering substance.

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    You have NO CLUE what is REGGAE and U have NO CLUE what is RAGGA SOCA.
    Again you are looking for company! As I said you are a certified music illiterate and the day you can teach me something about music is the day Jesus will return to save confused Vincies like yourself from self-delusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    U have CONTRADICTED yourself, and I will POINT them out in DUE TIME, so many times ALREADY, that it just makes your PRESENTATIONS LAUGHABLE.
    Looking for company again I see as the only person uwho consistently contradicts them self around here and who presents them self as a shameless circus clown is you.

    All my posts regards to my music information I consistently back with accurately dated music recordings and all the music elements that I point out in the music are observable by those who are musically literate unlike most of the so-called Vincy Ragga Soca songs that you post.

    Whenever I post a song and say that is has both soca/calypso and reggae/dancehall elements like "Irie Tempo", it’s because it does and that is the most accurate description of the musical fusion in the song.
    I did explain that the beat and guitar strumming in "Irie Tempo" is reggae style but there are other elements in the song that is calypso/soca.

    If a music illiterate like yourself can't understand what they are hearing and can't understand what I type in clear English then that is their problem and not mines so I can't help you.

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Let me say again, Lord Laro's song is STRICTLY REGGAE. The RHYTHMIC PATTERN is that of songs under the UMBRELLA of LOVERS ROCK, which DOMINATED that ERA.
    Moreover, LARO'S MUSIC are ARRANGED and PLAYED by Jamaicans.
    The only connection to Trinidad is the fact that Laro was born there. But from the late 1960's, Laro has been LIVING in Jamaica.
    I am not going to even ADDRESS Laro anymore, because it is just NONSENSICAL as it PERTAINS to RAGGA SOCA.
    "Irie Tempo" is not a straight reggae song it is a fusion of soca and reggae and nothing you can say can change that reality. I have already pointed out what I view as the calypso/soca and reggae/dancehall elements in the song.

    And btw in early 1980's which is the era that "Irie Tempo" came out, Lovers rock was far from being the most popular style of reggae in Jamaica or T&T. The most popular reggae styles in both JA and T&T in that era were roots reggae like from Bob Marley, Culture, Burning Spear, etc and Rockers, Dub and Dancehall reggae with the rise of artists like Yellow Man who preceded Shabba Ranks. Dancehall became more popular than traditional reggae in JA and T&T after the death of Bob Marley. Lovers Rock was only just as popular or more popular than roots reggae in the UK in the early 1980's where it found its natural home.

    And btw pointing out that the musicians who played on Lord Laro's "Irie Tempo" are all Jamaican doesn't mean that they can't play calypso and soca and fuse it into their music. Jamaican musicians have been regularly singing and playing calypso music in Jamaica from the 1950's which is long before SVG produced any decent calypso artists of note.

    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Nothing in his MUSIC says RAGGA SOCA, because the MIXTURE or INTERTWINING of both GENRES is ABSENT.

    Now he PUSHING songs like Ras Mas as RAGGA SOCA.

    LOL n SMH
    I never argued anywhere that "Irie Tempo" is a ragga soca as ragga soca was not fully developed as a soca sub-genre until the early 1990s when Byron Lee's "Dancehall Soca" hit ignited the craze and the term ragga soca was coined in T&T by Kenny Phillips.

    Nor have I argued anywhere that "Rass Mass" by Explainer is a ragga soca. What I was demonstrating by posting that and other tracks with a similar fusion is that T&T artists have long been fusing elements of reggae with soca/calypso long before ragga soca was fully developed as a soca sub-genre with 100's of songs being made and raggasoca developing its own large following in the 1990's.

    You really are thick aren't you?!

    The rest of your post was the usual hogwash which does not prove that SVG artists including Becket did genuine ragga soca before anyone else.

    Here are some more songs from T&T artists from the 1970's that clearly fused reggae with soca just like "Irie Tempo" by Laro also did in 1981.
    Here is the Junior Calypso Monarch of T&T for 1978, this was a massive hit that year.

    Andrew Baptiste - Ital Man (1978)

    Written by George Martin and Arranged By Clive Bradley

    And here is another big hit in 1978 from Lord Funny about the rastafarian craze getting out of hand in T&T.

    Lord Funny - Imitation Rasta (1978)

    Written by Donric Williamson, Arranged By Pelham Goddard
    Accompanied by Charlie's Roots, Distributed By Charlie's Records
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  10. #40
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    MEMBERS and OBSERVERS, as U can SEE, he CANNOT PROVIDE ANY EVIDENCE that it is STRAIGHT SOCA outside of TALKING out of his ASS.
    Now you know why I call him SOCA-AMATEUR, because all he DOES is TRY to SPIN when he is CORNERED.

    He said it is STRAIGHT SOCA, but CANNOT PROVIDE any EVIDENCE of his CLAIM.

    I KNOW HE CANNOT, because he doesn't KNOW what the ASS he is TALKING about, so that is ANOTHER WIN for VINCYPOWA.

    I want MEMBERS and OBSERVERS WATCH as I SCHOOLED this FOOL FURTHER.

    Fool, RAGGAMUFFIN STYLE has NOTHING to do with RAGGA SOCA. That was just an ADDED VOCAL DELIVERY ADAPTED because of the PROMINENCE of DANCEHALL in REGGAE music during the 1980's, as can be heard in COUNTLESS "VERSIONS" or 12' INCH RECORDINGS of that PERIOD.

    That is why the GENRE was REFERRED to as DANCEHALL SOCA at ONE POINT. You're a AMATEUR. U do not KNOW SHIT about the GENRE outside of MAKING UP SHIT out of THIN AIR.

    IRIE TEMPO has ZERO SOCA element in it.

    It has CLEAR LOVERS ROCK PATTERNS>

    IT is BASICALLY SOUNDING SIMILAR MOST LOVERS ROCK songs, MUSICALLY, from that ERA.

    For EXAMPLE...

    There is NOTHING about IRIE TEMPO thats SOCA, MUSICALLY.

    Your PROBLEM is, because he is talking about CARNIVAL, U DEEMED it as some SORT of SOCA MIXTURE.

    LORD LARO STYLE of SINGING, as I have ALREADY POINTED out, is SIMILAR to ERNIE SMITH and PLUTO SHERVINGTON.

    If you LISTEN to those TWO ARTISTS SONGS, U will hear the MUSICAL SIMILARITY as well to IRIE TEMPO.

    n SMH@SOCA BASSLINE and SOCA HORNS ARRANGEMENTS IN IRIE TEMPO

    MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Dude, GO SIT your ASS DOWN and go TAKE A MUSIC CLASS, because U R TONE DEAF.

    There is NOTHING about "RAS MAS" that is REGGAE except the word "RAS".

    U R such a MUSICAL DUNCE.

    The ARRANGEMENT is SOCA STYLE that was PROMINENT in that ERA, especially in the late 70's. Go and LISTEN to the RHYTHMIC PATTERN, FOOL.

    As for the REST of your POST, since it has NOTHING to do with RAGGA SOCA, NO NEED to ADDRESS them. But I will just LAUGH at your STATEMENTS, because if I PRESSURE U to tell us where is the REGGAE MUSIC in those TWO SONGS, U will see how STUPID your IRIE TEMPO claim is.

    U R a MUSICAL NOVICE.

    As for the SUGAR BUM BUM ARGUMENT, I have ALREADY PROVEN that too MANY TIMES to COUNT, so I am not even GOING to WASTE my TIME once MORE.
    Only PERSONS with a MUSICAL EAR will KNOW THIS, so it is just a WASTE to GO OVER it ONCE MORE. But I will SHOW U another BASSLINE TAKEN by KITCHENER or the ARRANGER of his SONG from another FRANKIE MCINTOSH arranged SONG when I get the CHANCE.

    Let me GIVE U some MORE RAGGA SOCA from CREATORS of this GENRE.


    LISTEN to that INTERTWINING and FLAWLESS MIXTURE of the REGGAE SOCA GROOVE.

    U KNOW when SOMEONE is the CREATOR because their MUSIC SOUNDS FLAWLESS in EXECUTION, ARRANGEMENT and SOUND.

    And to CEMENT this FURTHER, PAY ATTENTION to the MASTER, BECKET, as HE DANCES and BREAK IT DOWN for you VOCALLY. Then you will SEE how VINCY band, ASTERICKS, BREAKS it down for you MUSICALLY.

    Just watch the ENTIRE VIDEO and U will see what I am TALKING about.



    AH WE TING THIS.

    RAGGA SOCA is the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.

    YUHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEE

  11. #41
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,590
    Credits
    880,832,147
    All that hogwash VP posted just above cannot distract from the reality that based upon his own so-called definition of ragga soca which he says is: "Slow DOWN the BEAT and BOUNCE the MUSIC, MIXED a REGGAE and SOCA GROOVE" that there are numerous calypso/soca songs from T&T artists that were recorded and released before Becket's "Coming High" that featured those very elements mixed together at a groovy pace.

    Here are four for starters that predate (were recorded and released before) "Coming High":-

    Lord Shorty - Bajan Girl (1973)

    From Album : Gone Gone Gone
    Produced by Lord Shorty & Henry Antoine
    Arranged By Lord Shorty, Ralph Moore & Tony Mergel


    The Shadow - Reggae Calypso (1975)

    Written & Produced by Winston Bailey; Accompanied/Arranged by Art De Coteau

    Ed Watson & His Brass Circle - There's A Kind Of Hush (1976)

    From Album : One More Time
    Arranged By Ed Watson. 1976


    The Shadow - Treat Me Nice (1976/1977)

    Written by Winston Bailey; Accompanied & Arranged by Art De Coteau
    Produced by Richie's Music Productions


    Btw the only thing in Becket's "Coming High" that can be viewed as a reggae influence in my opinion are the lyrics about "coming high with marijuana" but musically "Coming High" is much more a fusion of calypso with elements of soca and with a jazzy brass line arrangement in parts. Becket's "Coming High" is no more a so-called ragga soca track than those four tracks above that predate it.

    Becket - Coming High (1977)

    Album : Disco Calypso
    Arranged By Frankie McIntosh
    Released : 1977


    In this regard and based upon VP's own comical Winston Soso definition of ragga soca (rather than on Kenny Phillip's ragga soca definition which makes much more logical sense) this same "Rass Mass" track by Explainer that VP is laughing at is just as much a ragga soca track as "Coming High" if not more so when you listen to the elements in the music especially the guitar work.

    Explainer - Rass Mass (1980/1981)

    Written by Winston Henry and Arranged by Godwin Bowen
    Produced by Rawlston Charles and Winston Henry


    But I like how VP conveniently ignored the other soca track from Explainer called "We Just Can't Go On This Way" from 1979 that I previously posted that has an even stronger reggae influence than "Rass Mass" and fits his Winston Soso so-called definition of ragga soca perfectly.

    Explainer - We Just Can't Go On This Way (1979)

    Written by Winston Henry and Arranged by Godwin Bowen, Produced by Boaex Records

    VP is a master of clownish distractions when he realises that he is being exposed for the fraud that he has always been but his clownish jackass distractions don't work on me for one minute as I'm focused on the point of this discussion thread that I started which is to expose the clownishness of VP's ragga soca argument.

    Based on VP's own Soso definition, the Vincies were not the first to do ragga soca even though I don't agree that the original recording of "Coming High" is a genuine ragga soca even by that Soso definition. It is simply a calypso and soca fusion track with similar guitar work that can be found in many earlier calypso recordings.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  12. #42
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    Not only are you a SOCA-AMATEUR, A MUSICAL DUNCE, TONE DEAF and a SCHOOLBOY SPINMISTER, U R also DELUSIONAL.

    None of the songs you have POSTED is RAGGA SOCA.

    Moreover, you DOH even KNOW SPOUGE MUSIC when U HEAR IT.
    The "BAJAN GIRL" by Lord Shorty is SPOUGE MUSIC from Barbados.
    The MORE U OPEN your TRAP, the more you PROVE to be a NOVICE of not only RAGGA SOCA and REGGAE, but of MUSIC, PERIOD, especially Caribbean music.

    The ED WATSON track, FOOL, is STRICTLY REGGAE.

    LOL n SMH.

    Go LISTEN to some LOVERS ROCK from that PERIOD.

    We are STILL waiting for you to PROVIDE the PROOF that the SONG by BECKET is "STRAIGHT SOCA".

    When you STOP TALKING OUT of your ASS, let us KNOW.

    We TALKING RAGGA SOCA and HE talking some other NONSENSE.

    STILL LOL n SMH@the POOR FELLA doesn't even KNOW SPOUGE MUSIC out of Barbados when he hears it

    School is OUT again.

  13. #43
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,590
    Credits
    880,832,147
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    Not only are you a SOCA-AMATEUR, A MUSICAL DUNCE, TONE DEAF and a SCHOOLBOY SPINMISTER, U R also DELUSIONAL.

    None of the songs you have POSTED is RAGGA SOCA.
    I am quite aware that none of those tracks I posted including the Becket "Coming High" track are genuine raggasoca tracks if we go by the Kenny Phillips's 1993 Ragga Soca definition of it having to be a soca track with a Raggamuffin dancehall DJ element. However going by your comical 1995 Winston Soso definition of Ragga Soca which is: "Slow DOWN the BEAT and BOUNCE the MUSIC, MIXED a REGGAE and SOCA GROOVE" all those tracks that I posted are ragga soca tracks.

    And yes I agree with you that its comical to view those tracks including "Coming High" by Becket as genuine ragga soca tracks but that is what your 1995 Winston Soso definition of Ragga Soca is telling us to do.

    And btw the Lord Shorty "Bajan Girl" song from 1973 is a soca track with a spouge influence and is not a straight spouge track. Also many spouge tracks from the 1970's contain a reggae influence especially in the guitar strumming pattern. Most spouge tracks of the 1970's were more heavily influenced by reggae than ska because by the 1970's ska had been supplanted by reggae as the most popular style of music from Jamaica.

    Regards me providing evidence about the Becket tune being straight soca I don't need to as my ears has already provided me with all the evidence I needed when I took a listen. Unlike yourself I deal with the reality of what I am hearing rather than on my imagination of what I would like to hear.

    There is no Jamaican raggamuffin DJ influence in that live Becket performance, zero. But didn't you say that your Vincy Ragga Soca definition of ragga soca does not rely on a Jamaican raggamuffin influence? So why is it suddenly so important to you that you are now prepared to imagine that there is a Jamaican raggamuffin DJ element in a Becket tune when there is clearly not?
    Is it because you are now acknowledging that there is no Jamaican reggae or dancehall influence in the instrumentation of the song so you are now prepared to imagine that Becket is singing in Jamaican Patwa in order for the song to qualify as a ragga soca based on the Kenny Phillips 1993 definition?

    Anyway that Becket performance is totally irrelevant in the wider scheme of things in regards to the who started ragga soca argument as that was in 1992 which is long after we had started to hear genuine ragga soca recordings that fit the Kenny Phillips definition like these tracks.

    Iwer George feat Daddy Percy - Time Hard Hold Tight (1987)

    Written & Produced by Iwer George
    Arranged by Kenny Phillips


    Sound Revolution - Dancehall Style (1988)

    Written A. Lewis & Arranged by Colin Lucas
    Produced by Sound Revolution & Crosby's Music Centre


    Style - O.C Blackman & Upstream feat Slik D - VA (1989)

    Written by O.C Blackman and produced and arranged by Kenny Phillips
    Video Shoot directed and edited by Timmy Mora assisted by David Narine.


    Taxi feat Cathy Imamshah & Derek Silman - Frenchman (1990)

    Written & Arranged by Robin Imamshah
    Vocals – Cathy Imamshah
    Raggamuffin Rap – Derek Silman
    Bass – Donald Phillips
    Drums – David Lamont Charles
    Guitar – Peter Shim
    Keyboards, Programmed By – Terrence James
    socapineman likes this.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  14. #44
    JA Soca Ambassador socapineman is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bklyn
    Posts
    11,738
    Credits
    67,825,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    I am quite aware that none of those tracks I posted including the Becket "Coming High" track are genuine raggasoca tracks if we go by the Kenny Phillips's 1993 Ragga Soca definition of it having to be a soca track with a Raggamuffin dancehall DJ element. However going by your comical 1995 Winston Soso definition of Ragga Soca which is: "Slow DOWN the BEAT and BOUNCE the MUSIC, MIXED a REGGAE and SOCA GROOVE" all those tracks that I posted are ragga soca tracks.

    And yes I agree with you that its comical to view those tracks including "Coming High" by Becket as genuine ragga soca tracks but that is what your 1995 Winston Soso definition of Ragga Soca is telling us to do.

    And btw the Lord Shorty "Bajan Girl" song from 1973 is a soca track with a spouge influence and is not a straight spouge track. Also many spouge tracks from the 1970's contain a reggae influence especially in the guitar strumming pattern. Most spouge tracks of the 1970's were more heavily influenced by reggae than ska because by the 1970's ska had been supplanted by reggae as the most popular style of music from Jamaica.

    Regards me providing evidence about the Becket tune being straight soca I don't need to as my ears has already provided me with all the evidence I needed when I took a listen. Unlike yourself I deal with the reality of what I am hearing rather than on my imagination of what I would like to hear.

    There is no Jamaican raggamuffin DJ influence in that live Becket performance, zero. But didn't you say that your Vincy Ragga Soca definition of ragga soca does not rely on a Jamaican raggamuffin influence? So why is it suddenly so important to you that you are now prepared to imagine that there is a Jamaican raggamuffin DJ element in a Becket tune when there is clearly not?
    Is it because you are now acknowledging that there is no Jamaican reggae or dancehall influence in the instrumentation of the song so you are now prepared to imagine that Becket is singing in Jamaican Patwa in order for the song to qualify as a ragga soca based on the Kenny Phillips 1993 definition?

    Anway that Becket performance is totally irrelevant in the wider scheme of things in regards to the who started ragga soca argument as that was in 1992 which is long after we had started to hear genuine ragga soca recordings that fit the Kenny Phillips definition like these tracks.

    Iwer George feat Daddy Percy - Time Hard Hold Tight (1987)

    Written & Produced by Iwer George
    Arranged by Kenny Phillips


    Sound Revolution - Dancehall Style (1988)

    Written A. Lewis & Arranged by Colin Lucas
    Produced by Sound Revolution & Crosby's Music Centre


    Style - O.C Blackman & Upstream feat Slik D - VA (1989)

    Written by O.C Blackman and produced and arranged by Kenny Phillips
    Video Shoot directed and edited by Timmy Mora assisted by David Narine.


    Taxi feat Cathy Imamshah & Derek Silman - Frenchman (1990)

    Written & Arranged by Robin Imamshah
    Vocals – Cathy Imamshah
    Raggamuffin Rap – Derek Silman
    Bass – Donald Phillips
    Drums – David Lamont Charles
    Guitar – Peter Shim
    Keyboards, Programmed By – Terrence James

    VP

    Socapro, just opened up a can of Whup ass on you.....omg, wow!

    So, Vp you gave me some bogus definition of Ragga Soca.....so why is everyplace else on the WWW stating it is this :


    "Ragga soca is a fusion of soca and the former artistic lyrical delivery of Jamaican artists known as "dubbing". It is dancehall and contemporary calypso, which has an uptempo beat with moderate bass and electronic instruments."



    Who is lying ?
    Socapro likes this.

  15. #45
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,392
    Credits
    44,002,903
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post
    VP

    Socapro, just opened up a can of Whup ass on you.....omg, wow!
    So, Vp you gave me some bogus definition of Ragga Soca.....so why is everyplace else on the WWW stating it is this :


    "Ragga soca is a fusion of soca and the former artistic lyrical delivery of Jamaican artists known as "dubbing". It is dancehall and contemporary calypso, which has an uptempo beat with moderate bass and electronic instruments."



    Who is lying ?
    Socapine, it is SAD and AMUSING to see you CHEERLEADING for SOCA-AMATEUR.

    You read and WATCHED all the SCHOOLING I gave him and you still talking about WHOOP ASS??

    LOL n SMH

    Unbeknownst to U, even your POST DEBUNK some of the statements he made.

    I can tell from your POST, even as a Jamaican, U too DOH even know what is the rhythmic/beat pattern and SOUND of REGGAE MUSIC.

    When I am done WATCHING CRICKET and TENNIS today or if I have some FREE TIME, I will ADDRESS your POST and of course, I will ADDRESS SOCA AMATEUR's POST as well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •