Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Yet another early Ragga Soca track from T&T that proves the Vincies did not start it!

Credits

Cool Yet another early Ragga Soca track from T&T that proves the Vincies did not start it!

Just thought I would throw a hook for VP by exposing his false claim yet again about the Vincies starting Ragga Soca and so help liven up the forum a bit!

This early ragga soca track was written by Ras Shorty-I's eldest son O.C Blackman and came out in early 1989 and features raggamuffin style chanting from Slick D who went on to play keyboards for Machel Montano and Xtatik during the 1990's.

This track was recorded in late 1988 for the 1989 T&T Carnival season and features a soca and raggamuffin dancehall fusion a full 4 years before Kenny Phillips eventually coined the term Ragga Soca during the 1993 T&T Carnival season after collaborating with Byron Lee on their massive hit called "Dancehall Soca".

Notice that Kenny Phillps was involved in production and arrangement of this 1989 early Ragga Soca track! Kenny Phillps was also involved in production and arrangement of Iwer George's early ragga soca track released in 1987 called "Time Hard Hold Tight" featuring raggamuffin chanting from Daddy Percy.

Style - O.C Blackman & Upstream feat Slik D - VA (1989)

Written by O.C Blackman and produced and arranged by Kenny Phillips
    Video Shoot directed and edited by Timmy Mora assisted by David Narine.

Btw O.C Blackman is Ras Shorty-I's eldest son and now lives in California USA and has his own band there.
    trinifrombx likes this.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    that VP is and will always be the Biggest fraud on Imix, allyuh ever saw a pic of him ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trinifrombx View Post
    that VP is and will always be the Biggest fraud on Imix, allyuh ever saw a pic of him ?
    ARYO STILL TRYING to LAY CLAIM to the SOUL And HEARTBEAT of VINCY MUSIC, RAGGA SOCA? :-)

ITs like ARYO have ABANDONED ARYO GIRLY GROOVY SOCA.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let me SHOW U how it is DONE with SOPHISTICATION, CLASS and BOSS ARRANGEMENT.

Before that SONG came out.

The FIRST TIME U HEARD the word DANCEHALL SOCA.

Who did it?

FRANKIE AND BECKET INNA COMBINATION again.

AGAIN, VINCYLAND, because is WE TING.

It is the HEARTBEAT of SVG. That is why we TOOK RAGGA SOCA GLOBAL, because only the CREATORS could have DONE IT.

IS AH VINCY TING.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    ARYO STILL TRYING to LAY CLAIM to the SOUL And HEARTBEAT of VINCY MUSIC, RAGGA SOCA? :-)

ITs like ARYO have ABANDONED ARYO GIRLY GROOVY SOCA.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let me SHOW U how it is DONE with SOPHISTICATION, CLASS and BOSS ARRANGEMENT.

Before that SONG came out.

The FIRST TIME U HEARD the word DANCEHALL SOCA.

Who did it?

FRANKIE AND BECKET INNA COMBINATION again.

AGAIN, VINCYLAND, because is WE TING.

It is the HEARTBEAT of SVG. That is why we TOOK RAGGA SOCA GLOBAL, because only the CREATORS could have DONE IT.

IS AH VINCY TING.
    All you do is lie... #fakefacts !

Re the term, Byron Lee did it.....first.

Even prior to him, King Yelloman, did it before him.....well Everything relating to Soca the Yardies call it Calypso.

The track was called Reggae Calypso. ......

Like this guy told me......." i am on to you "........

Stop the lyin......2017, you now a Big Man, still no Brownins. .....but cut out the B.S. and the lyin......you too old for that shit now !
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post

Even prior to him, King Yelloman, did it before him.....well Everything relating to Soca the Yardies call it Calypso.

Yes I remember that Yellow Man track from around 1984.

King Yellowman - Reggae Calypso (1984)

Written by Winston Foster; Producer – Jimmy Wynter

If you listen carefully to the track called "Style" by Shorty's eldest son O.C Blackman from about half way thru, you will hear Slick D on keyboards who also does the dancehall style chanting giving credit to Byron Lee for being the first band he heard doing the soca and dancehall reggae combination.
    That there is proof that Trini artists and musicians don't have insecurities about giving credit where it is due to outside musicians or artists who have contributed to soca's evolution. Take a listen again from half way thru...

Style - O.C Blackman & Upstream feat Slik D - VA (1989)

Written by O.C Blackman and produced and arranged by Kenny Phillips
    Video Shoot directed and edited by Timmy Mora assisted by David Narine.

However based upon the music recordings from a Jamaican perspective I believe it was Lord Laro and dancehall DJ Trinity who may have been the first to do a genuine soca and Jamaican dancehall reggae style combination on record with Laro's "Irie Tempo" hit back in 1981.

Lord Laro feat Trinity - Irie Tempo (1981)

Written by Kenneth Lara; Produced by Paul Khouri

I think from a T&T perspective quite a few of our calypsonians were fusing soca with reggae from as early as 1975 starting with Shadow with a song called "Reggae Calypso" about a Jamaican chick who visited Trinidad and demanded him to do the combination but none of the Trini tracks featured a genuine dancehall reggae DJ until Lord Laro and Trinity from Jamaica teamed up to do the combination in 1981.

For example here is a 1979 hit track from Explainer who regularly fused reggae with his soca compositions during the late 1970's and into the 1980's.

Explainer - We Just Cant Go On This Way (1979)

Written by Winston Henry and Produced and Arranged by Godwin Bowen

As I have been pointing out to VP over the years with the evidence of timeline music recordings the Vincies were not the first to do the soca and dancehall reggae combination. It was the Jamaicans and the Trinis working together and fusing our musical cultures as we have been regularly doing since the 1950's (when it was popular to fuse mento with calypso) who were the first to do the combination.
    The timeline music recordings don't lie so as Socapineman has been urging VP he needs to grow up and stop lying as he is fooling no one here who has been closely following the evolution of soca music over the years.
    socapineman likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits

Like this guy told me......." i am on to you "........

Stop the lyin......2017, you now a Big Man, still no Brownins. .....but cut out the B.S. and the lyin......you too old for that shit now !
    MANNNN, I think by NOW, U of all person should KNOW I DOH say SOMETHING UNLESS I can BACK IT UP.

I have ALREADY PROVIDED UNDISPUTED EVIDENCE that VINCYLAND is the BIRTHPLACE of RAGGA SOCA, courtesy of SEVERAL CHRONOLOGAL FACTS, SHOWCASING the CREATORS of this GENRE, BECKET and his LIFELONG ARRANGER/PRODUCER/CONDUCTOR, THE GREAT FRANKIE MCINTOSH, MUSIC from the 1970's STRAIGHT to the 1990's without MISSING a DECADE.

I will just PULL one at RANDOM from the same YEAR that Yellow Man came out with REGGAE CALYPSO.

Again, LISTEN to the SOPHISTICATION, RICHNESS, CLASS and BOSS ARRANGEMENT/PRODUCTION by the GREAT FRANKIE MCINTOSH.

RAGGA SOCA is IN OUR VINCY BLOOD.

IT IS IN the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.
    L
    This IS why we HARDLY WINE, because RAGGA SOCA is a SELF EXPRESSIVE KIND of GENRE that makes you want to either HOLD on pon AH GAL and GRIND her. Or when the TEMPO is FASTER, U just EXPRESS yourself in any form or FASHION, because IT is not a WINING GENRE.

You have to FOLLOW the BASS LINE in RAGGA SOCA to GET the ESSENCE of the RHYTHM.

DRUM and BASS are CENTRAL ELEMENTS to OUR VINCY CREATION.

It doesn't matter if the TEMPO is SLOW, MIDTEMPO or FASTER. From the 1970's STRAIGHT to the 1990's, U will HEAR IT in OUR MUSIC.

Is WE TING.

It is a VINCY TING.

YUHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEE

PS: LOOK HOW WE MASHING UP the PLACE NOW with "BRAVE".

IS WE THING THIS. IT is IN OUR BLOOD/DNA.

Credits
    It DONE MASHUP all OVER and it GINE MASHUP TRINIDAD CARNIVAL.

Mark my WORDS.

Credits
    MANNNN, I think by NOW, U of all person should KNOW I DOH say SOMETHING UNLESS I can BACK IT UP.

I have ALREADY GIVEN UNDISPUTED EVIDENCE that VINCYLAND is the BIRTHPLACE of RAGGA SOCA by GIVEN SEVERAL CHRONOLOGY of this FACT by SHOWCASING the CREATORS of this GENRE, BECKET and LIFELONG ARRANGER/PRODUCER/CONDUCTOR, THE GREAT FRANKIE MCINTOSH, MUSIC from the 1970's STRAIGHT to the 1990's without MISSING a DECADE.

I will just PULL one at RANDOM from the same YEAR that Yellow Man came out with REGGAE CALYPSO.

Again, LUSTEN to the SOPHISTICATION, CLASS and BOSS ARRANGEMENT/PRODUCTION by the GREAT FRANKIE MCINTOSH.

RAGGA SOCA is OUR VINCY BLOOD.

IT IS IN the HEARTBEAT and SOUL of VINCY MUSIC.

That IS why we DOH TEND to WINE, because RAGGA SOCA is a SELF EXPRESSION KIND of GENRE that makes you want to either HOLD on pon AH GAL and GRIND her. Or when the TEMPO is FASTER, U just EXPRESS yo urself in any form or FASHION, because IT is not a WINING GENRE.

You have to FOLLOW the BASS LINE in RAGGA SOCA to GET the ESSENCE of the RHYTHM.

DRUM and BASS are CENTRAL ELEMENTS to OUR VINCY CREATION.

It doesn't matter if the TEMPO is SLOW, MIDTEMPO or FASTER. From the 1970's STRAIGHT to the 1990's, U will HEAR IT in OUR MUSIC.

Is WE TING.

It is a VINCY TING.

YUHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEE

PS: LOOK HOW WE MASHING UP the PLACE NOW with "BRAVE".

IS WE THING THIS. IT is IN OUR BLOOD/DNA.
    If you look at post #5 above it negates all this desperate BS you keep posting and proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that you Vincies started nothing where ragga soca is concerned.

You'll may have developed your own distinctive style of Vincy ragga soca over the years but you sure as hell did not invent ragga soca and the timeline music recordings prove it.
    You need to stop living in a world of self-delusion and grow up as you are fooling and convincing no one with a working brain and common sense.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    n SMH@how SOCA-AMATEUR is PLAYING SOCAPINE for a PUPPET by using the FALLACY called APPEAL to FLATTERY.

Soca-Amateur uses FLATTERY, EXCESSIVE COMPLIMENTS, on Socapine by stating Jamaica and Trinidad have been collaborating since the 1950's in an ATTEMPT to WIN his SUPPORT.

LOOK, I have GONE down this ROAD a ZILLION TIMES. And have SCHOOLED the DETRACTORS every SINGLE TIME.

Soca-Amateur BROUGHT up some 3rd grade SOUNDING song as if he has something to DEBUNK by IRONCLAD PRESENTATIONS on the SUBJECT.

I simply OUT him without BLINKING.

Now he back with CALYPSO song with a TINGE of REGGAE element and a REGGAE song with lyrics REFERRING to CARNIVAL and BELIEVE he PRESENTED RAGGA SOCA.

Dude, like I said, St. Vincent and the Grenadines is the BIRTHPLACE of RAGGA SOCA.

You can HEAR it in practically all our MUSIC from the 1970's STRAIGHT to 2017.

NONSTOP!!

AH WE TING this.

Let me GIVE you a SONG from 1978 SO U can GET the ESSENCE and FEEL of what RAGGA SOCA is.

U FEEL THE RICHNESS and SOPHISTICATION in SOUND of OUR CREATION??
    We have them in all STYLES (SLOW, MIDTEMPO and PACE)

This is VINCY MUSIC, RAGGA SOCA.

WE CREATED IT, NURTURED it and then TOOK the WORLD by STORM with it.

Is WE TING.

It is VINCY TING.

n SMH@how they ABANDONED the GIRLY GROOVY SOCA.

Credits
    n SMH@how SOCA-AMATEUR is PLAYING SOCAPINE for a PUPPET by using the FALLACY called APPEAL to FLATTERY.

Soca-Amateur uses FLATTERY, EXCESSIVE COMPLIMENTS, on Socapine by stating Jamaica and Trinidad have been collaborating since the 1950's in an ATTEMPT to WIN his SUPPORT.

LOOK, I have GONE down this ROAD a ZILLION TIMES. And have SCHOOLED the DETRACTORS every SINGLE TIME.

Soca-Amateur BROUGHT up some 3rd grade SOUNDING song as if he has something to DEBUNK by IRONCLAD PRESENTATIONS on the SUBJECT.

I simply OUT him without BLINKING.

Now he back with CALYPSO song with a TINGE of REGGAE element and a REGGAE song with lyrics REFERRING to CARNIVAL and BELIEVE he PRESENTED RAGGA SOCA.

Dude, like I said, St. Vincent and the Grenadines is the BIRTHPLACE of RAGGA SOCA.

You can HEAR it in practically all our MUSIC from the 1970's STRAIGHT to 2017.

NONSTOP!!

AH WE TING this.

Let me GIVE you a SONG from 1978 SO U can GET the ESSENCE and FEEL of what RAGGA SOCA is.

U FEEL THE RICHNESS and SOPHISTICATION in SOUND of OUR CREATION??
    We have them in all STYLES (SLOW, MIDTEMPO and PACE)

This is VINCY MUSIC, RAGGA SOCA.

WE CREATED IT, NURTURED it and then TOOK the WORLD by STORM with it.

Is WE TING.

It is VINCY TING.

n SMH@how they ABANDONED the GIRLY GROOVY SOCA.
    Lol at the puppet part......

Maaaan you should of been a trail lawyer, you missed your calling !

First, i was addressing your claim of " Dancehall Soca". ......which you then switch up , ignore what i am saying then telling me about Ragga Soca ..

Btw, i dont have the time or the energy, but a group by the name of Fab 5 out of Kingston, was doing that long time before. They came about in 1970, not to mention the numerous other groups that played in Hotels in Mo Bay that was fusing Mento with Reggae.... .so i have no idea what you talking about or posting that have noting to do with Jamaican Patwa, or chanting on a soca, calypso beat. .. .or blended up.....correct me if i am wrong, isnt that the basic definition?

Meaning you take a track, Soca or Calypso, and blend it with Jamacan Patwa to come up Dancehall Soca or Ragga Soca......so i see no evidence of Jamaican Patwa in what you are posting....but hey... .if you feel better that Ragga Soca was invented or you guys did it first.......good for you, i know otherwise.

Like my boy would say..." i am on to you !"
    Socapro likes this.

Credits

First, i was addressing your claim of " Dancehall Soca". ......which you then switch up , ignore what i am saying then telling me about Ragga Soca ..

Btw, i dont have the time or the energy, but a group by the name of Fab 5 out of Kingston, was doing that long time before. They came about in 1970, not to mention the numerous other groups that played in Hotels in Mo Bay that was fusing Mento with Reggae.... .so i have no idea what you talking about or posting that have noting to do with Jamaican Patwa, or chanting on a soca, calypso beat. .. .or blended up.....correct me if i am wrong, isnt that the basic definition?

Meaning you take a track, Soca or Calypso, and blend it with Jamacan Patwa to come up Dancehall Soca or Ragga Soca......so i see no evidence of Jamaican Patwa in what you are posting....but hey... .if you feel better that Ragga Soca was invented or you guys did it first.......good for you, i know otherwise.

VP is simply living up to his deluded circus clown status once again because anyone with common sense who knows soca music will know that that Clymax song he posted above in post #9 has no Jamaican patwa aka raggamuffin chanting element or even a Jamaican reggae or Jamaican dancehall music element.
    So how on earth can it be logically classed as a ragga soca in anyone's mind unless they are musically illiterate or are on some sort of mind altering substance!
    socapineman likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Don't you get bored debating the same damn boring ass thing?

Credits

I ADDRESSED your DANCEHALL SOCA POST.

MENTO and REGGAE is not RAGGA SOCA.

Just LIKE CALYPSO is NOT SOCA.

ARYO will DO anything to HIDE the FACT that VINCYLAND is the BIRTHPLACE of RAGGA SOCA.

It is the HEARTBEAT of VINCY MUSIC.

But it is QUITE AMUSING how ARYO ABANDONED the GIRLIE GROOVY SOCA talk.

Look how many times I TOLD U all KNUCKLEHEADS that it was not a GENRE of MUSIC.

I layed out the FACTS, THE EVIDENCE, the TRUTH and ARYO still with the SILLY SPINNING trying to MANUFACTURE a GENRE out of a SOCA MONARCH COMPETITION CREATED by a GRENADIAN by the NAME of Wiliam Munro.

Now LOOK at ARYO NOW.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Carib2 View Post
    Don't you get bored debating the same damn boring ass thing?
    I started this thread because the forum was a little dead and based on the number of replies this thread is getting I think it has done as intended which is to get people posting again and to lively up the forum a little.

Being bored and not posting at all leads to a boring forum.
    socapineman likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    I ADDRESSED your DANCEHALL SOCA POST.

MENTO and REGGAE is not RAGGA SOCA.

Just LIKE CALYPSO is NOT SOCA.

ARYO will DO anything to HIDE the FACT that VINCYLAND is the BIRTHPLACE of RAGGA SOCA.

It is the HEARTBEAT of VINCY MUSIC.

But it is QUITE AMUSING how ARYO ABANDONED the GIRLIE GROOVY SOCA talk.

Look how many times I TOLD U all KNUCKLEHEADS that it was not a GENRE of MUSIC.

I layed out the FACTS, THE EVIDENCE, the TRUTH and ARYO still with the SILLY SPINNING trying to MANUFACTURE a GENRE out of a SOCA MONARCH COMPETITION CREATED by a GRENADIAN by the NAME of Wiliam Munro.

Now LOOK at ARYO NOW.
    Why are you addressing Socapineman about Groovy Soca when he has never had any arguments about Groovy Soca being from Jamaica?

In regards to Groovy Soca, I already explained to this Vincy knucklehead on a number of occasions that Soca is the genre and that Groovy just like Power describes the tempo and vibe of the soca songs.

In regards to naming a music genre after a soca competition what you have been promoting as Vincy Ragga Soca since 2001 after you'll copied the original T&T Ragga Soca Monarch competition is based upon a competition. There was no soca music from Vincy land being branded as Vincy Ragga Soca until your Vincy Ragga Soca Monarch competition was started in 2001.

Also because you'll have being routinely allowing soca songs into your Vincy Ragga Soca Monarch competition that clearly have no Raggamuffin chanting or Reggae dancehall elements over the years it has led you'll to also be classing straight soca songs at a groovy pace as Vincy Ragga Soca.

All the evidence thus proves that your Vincy Ragga Soca is based on what soca songs are allowed entry into your Vincy Ragga Soca Monarch competition rather than on the logical elements of the music in many cases.
    In other words Vincy Ragga Soca is based on a competition that was copied by you Vincies from T&T in 2001.
    FACTS!!
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast