Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Why This Cya Be Considered Another Soca Sub-genre

  1. #1
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,915
    Credits
    48,536,229

    Why This Cya Be Considered Another Soca Sub-genre

    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track 2005
    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track 2006
    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track 2007
    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track 2008

    Many many more examples the biggest of which is Destra's "its carnival". Patrice and Machel just came out with a nice one but the same formula. The music is infectious but there is definitely a formula here. But isn't that the case with all the sub-genre in Soca. Why can't this be the emergence of another sub-genre of soca music.
    Last edited by dedetriniking; 01-23-2008 at 12:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,915
    Credits
    48,536,229
    Here is the thread featuring the newly released song with Patrice and Machel
    Roll- MAchel ft. patrice & oil and music-Machel & David Rudder

    Once again the formula is the same. The biggest difference is in the melody of each...shouldn't that be enough to distinguish each song from the next.
    Why can't this just be considered another sub-genre and free your mind so that you can allow yourself to enjoy them music.

  3. #3
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,915
    Credits
    48,536,229
    Destra started it with this:
    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track
    followed the following year by
    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track
    all the way up to today with songs like
    Toronto-Lime.com - Soca Track

    again very slight changes in the riddim..the real distinguishing feature in these songs is the melody but the formula is the same. Another sub-genre? Why not?

  4. #4
    Registered User Rinababy's Avatar Rinababy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    10,776
    Credits
    1,115,624
    Me no likey.... (the Patrice and Machel)
    It just sounds too much like....well all those songs you listed....
    I really think 2K8 is the year that roadmarch will really be a competition....its not going to be a given that the big names gonna take it this year which is a good thing.
    As far as a sub genre what would you call it???
    Last edited by Rinababy; 01-23-2008 at 12:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,915
    Credits
    48,536,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy View Post
    Me no likey.... (the Patrice and Machel)
    It just sounds too much like....well all those songs you listed....
    I really think 2K8 is the year that roadmarch will really be a competition....its not going to be a given that the big names gonna take it this year which is a good thing.
    As far as a sub genre what would you call it???
    OH I DUNNO! SOMETHING LIKE POPSOCA OR POPSO!! They all have that pop feel to them.

  6. #6
    Registered User Rinababy's Avatar Rinababy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    10,776
    Credits
    1,115,624
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    OH I DUNNO! SOMETHING LIKE POPSOCA OR POPSO!! They all have that pop feel to them.
    POPSO!!?!?!?! people gone back wid that shit??
    How about powersoca? Its got that real fast pace.... does that genre already exist?
    but on another tip that style your talking about seem to be Kernal specials, not too many other producers making that sound. Maybe we can chalk it up to just being his "signature sound".

  7. #7
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,915
    Credits
    48,536,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy View Post
    POPSO!!?!?!?! people gone back wid that shit??
    How about powersoca? Its got that real fast pace.... does that genre already exist?
    but on another tip that style your talking about seem to be Kernal specials, not too many other producers making that sound. Maybe we can chalk it up to just being his "signature sound".
    Nah man...other people doing it to. Its the same formula in the song by Zoela that i posted. Did Kernel produce that song! Its clear in the Kes song. Did Kernel produce that? Its also present in other offerings. It has to start with somebody.

  8. #8
    Registered User Rinababy's Avatar Rinababy is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    10,776
    Credits
    1,115,624
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Nah man...other people doing it to. Its the same formula in the song by Zoela that i posted. Did Kernel produce that song! Its clear in the Kes song. Did Kernel produce that? Its also present in other offerings. It has to start with somebody.
    Yes..and it start with Kernal Roberts....
    look how much success he's had! it makes sense that others will emulate and jump on that band wagon. That is def. Kernal Robert's sound i dont care who else produces it or sings over the track. Kernal brought that sound to the popularity it currenly has.

  9. #9
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,915
    Credits
    48,536,229
    Agreed!! Ah like yuh Power Soca suggestion as well.

  10. #10
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,604
    Credits
    46,784,994
    **WONDERING if to HELP them out before they DROWN themselves**

    What song aryo THINK that KERNEL PRODUCED that led to the STATEMENT it STARTED with him??

    I thought KERNEL'S main TALENT/GIFT is as a WRITER?

  11. #11
    Registered User Dr Insane's Avatar Dr Insane is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DOWN IN AH DE GHETTO
    Posts
    38,722
    Credits
    3,491,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy View Post
    POPSO!!?!?!?! people gone back wid that shit??
    How about powersoca? Its got that real fast pace.... does that genre already exist?
    but on another tip that style your talking about seem to be Kernal specials, not too many other producers making that sound. Maybe we can chalk it up to just being his "signature sound".
    well

    in soca Monarch the faster songs are called power soca.

    dais why dey have groovy and power soca monarch.

  12. #12
    Registered User Dr Insane's Avatar Dr Insane is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DOWN IN AH DE GHETTO
    Posts
    38,722
    Credits
    3,491,164
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    **WONDERING if to HELP them out before they DROWN themselves**

    What song aryo THINK that KERNEL PRODUCED that led to the STATEMENT it STARTED with him??

    I thought KERNEL'S main TALENT/GIFT is as a WRITER?
    well i won't say started with him but watch the songs he has written from it's carnival to band of the year. same kinda vibe.

    but i think he is a producer not sure.
    Last edited by Dr Insane; 01-23-2008 at 01:47 AM.

  13. #13
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,604
    Credits
    46,784,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Lucian View Post
    well

    in soca Monarch the faster songs are called power soca.

    dais why dey have groovy and power soca monarch.
    Mannnn, SOMEONE from that SHOW saw we TALKING about the GREAT ZEE created his own SOUND called POWER SOCA....the FOLLOWING YEAR, yuh see the ORGANIZER of the INTERNATIONAL SOCA MONARCH in TRINIDAD calling that show POWER SOCA.

    Next thing you know, yuh go hear dem sey ah DEM whey call it so.

    Ah LUCKY tink de EVIDENCE dey right in de ARCHIVES of ISLANDMIX.COM.

  14. #14
    Registered User BFFan is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    6,171
    Credits
    10,139,439
    It"s Carnival may have began a trend in Trinidad but wasn't there songs that were similar that before? Songs like Tremble It, Choo Choo, (even Energy from Tonik band from Antigua). It's Carnival had a catchy hook which made it popular. It also incorporated harmonic vocals and electronic guitar...thats nothing new for uptempo music.

  15. #15
    Registered User BFFan is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    6,171
    Credits
    10,139,439
    This year so much of the uptempo music from TNT uses melodic phrases from past tunes, its toooo much of a trend.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •