Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: St.Kitts' Bands Get NO PLAY at Fete Jams or on the Radio Shows!

Mad Scorpion
    Originally posted by sexydeva
    In miami there is alot of st kitts,VI music been played on the radio and the bands come here regular so I guess it's better here than most places. But it toke a long time to happen. I did not start until dj's from the eastern caribbean like jah baba & mac-10 got on the radio down here to represent for the small island them. But know most of the dj's are playing them now.
    Maybe the music is much more available there too tho. Here in NY I hardly ever see music from most of the islands outside of the maily recognized ones. Outreach to the bands and artists yields minimum results if any so even that is a futile attempt to aquire the music. Unfortunately for me I don't have any contacts in these islands so getting their music seems virtually impossible. Its hard for music that isn't widely available (no matter how good it is) to recieve the attention it deserves.

VINCY4LlFE
    Originally posted by stargate
    what do you mean by outside of the eastern caribbean???

WHO are you refering to as outside eastern caribbean???

i don't understand your view point here vincy..explain it a little more..so that i don't assume what your are saying!!!

maybe you meant outside the leeward islands not eastern caribbean!!!
    I am referring to the OECS (St. Kitts/Nevis, Antigua, Barbuda, Monsterrat, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia, Dominica, and Grenada) and its ASSOCIATED states (BVI and Anguilla).

Credits
    Originally posted by VINCY4LlFE
    I just LISTENED to that Nu-Vybes song. At first, it did not CAPTURE my attention.

I was trying to IMAGINE it playing outside the EASTERN CARIBBEAN.

I was THINKING would it CATCH on with other countries outside that REGION?

As I heard more and more of it, I found myself really liking it.

So in conclusion, it might take a while to CATCH on.

However, if people OUTSIDE the Eastern Caribbean are open-minded, they too will like it.
    I understand what you're trying to say but this song ain't playing in most of these Islands so it's not about being open-minded is just all about the quality of music.
    I think it fall to far from what the people got from Nu Vybes with the Sugar song and the song from 2002. In antigua they normally have a top 100 soca hits which starts like the 15th of January this is to see whom the top artiste's will be to go on the Calypso/Soca Spectakula show they'll be hosting soon.
    With the Sugar song it was in the top 40 from week one by the time the show came around they were at #5 so you know they were a sure thing. 2002 the "MOre Sugar" song or what ever it was called was the samething by the time the show came around it was #11. This year their songs not even in the top 100.
    We all know NU Vybes is big in Antigua so if this song was soo hot it would be blazing up the chart's there. If you check you'll see that song really only playing in Tortola and Anguilla.
    Ah mean you know people in the Caribbean don't ignore good music, no way no how, Antigua is a place where they host atleast 5 different big soca fete's per year between the months of March to June so everybody from the Leeward Islands always wants to get their music on their charts this time of the year.

Credits
    OK VINCY I GET YOU NOW...DEVA I WISH TORONTO WAS LIKE THAT..HERE IN TORONTO ON THE 3 OR 4 SOCA RADIO SHOWS YOU GOT YOU LUCKY TO HERE ANY OF THE SO-CALLED SMALL ISLAND MUSIC ON ANY OF THESE SHOWS..YOU MAY HERE ONE OR 2 BURNING FLAMES AND THE BAHANN FROM ANTIGUA BUT...VERTUALLY NO VI TUNES..NO ST.KITTS TUNES..NO DOMINICA TUNES..NO ANGUILLA TUNES...ZILCH ZERO NONE!!!...THE CARIBBEAN COMUNITY HERE TINTORONTO IS VERY VER UNIFIED UNLIKE IN SOME OF THE OTHER NORTH AMERICAN CITIES BUT IT SEEMS THAT THE TRINI AND BAJAN TUNES GET ALL THE AIR PLAY.
    AS FOR DJ'S DR. JAY AND KOS DO PLAY SONGS FROM THE SO-CALLED SMALL ISLANDS AT THIER FETES AND DANCES BUT IT'S ONLY THE REAL POP-ULAR TUNES FROM THOSE RESPECTIVE ISLANDS BUT FOR THE MOSTPART ITS 99% TIRINI AND BAJAN TUNES....BLACKBERRYSOUND CREW...THESE GUYS ARE THE ONLY BIG SOCA DJ'S IN THE CITY WHO SEEM TO MIX UP THEIR MUSIC AS FAR AS GIVING THE SMALL ISLAND TUNES A BLY!!! ALL THE REST DON'T REALLY PAY TO MUCH ATTENTION TO NON- TRINI AND NONE BAJAN MATERIAL!!! THIS IS STRANGE BECASUE THE WEST INDIAN COMMINTY HERE IS VERY UNIFIED AND OTHER ILSANDS MUSIC IS AVAILABLE TO ALL THESE DJ'S!!!...I DON'T SEE WHY THE RELUCTANCE TO PLAY THE TUNES!!!
    BIM BORN, DADLI RAISED! BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!

Credits

Talking Damn Damn Damn, Waht ah discussion

I am just a Bonafide Nu Vybes Fan and a Bonafide WCK Fan. Nu Vybes had hits since the band formed. Every album Nu Vybes put out is Wicked.. But I love every band in St.Kitts and Nevis, and the whole eastern caribbean and the whole caribbean. I am not just saying so, I have every album Flames every mek from Stylee Tight 'til Venom..I love Flames Same Way No lesser than any other band.. Every Individual have their musical preference so no one can really say dat band better dan band.. Since the Seventies St.KittsNevis Had music that was mashing up the carbbean and the world. Back to the days of Earth Tones, Ellie Matt and the GI s Brass, Dynamix, Caribbean Heatwaves and nuff more. All big brass bands. The thing is if you really love music you embrace it to the soul. This is from the sixties into the seventies into the eighties nineties into nowadays.. In Short Every band from every wey fi Pwyle . And In new york if you want hear St.KittsNevis, Anguilla, Antigua, SXM, DA,V.I.,TNT, Bados.. .Every Island Soca Mix up Come up to de bronx and check some djs.

"Ah Wanna See Some Jumping Up In Here."..... Bangalang !

Good To Go, Nu Vybes Band
    Dey Carn Stop De Sugar Baby !!!!

Spread some Liamuiga Love
    Bless Up Everytime..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails St.Kitts' Bands Get NO PLAY at Fete Jams or on the Radio Shows!-reloaded_cd_big.gif  
    Last edited by jamkontroller; 02-27-2004 at 09:20 PM.

Credits
    Originally posted by skbeeU
    >Listen Boss I aint gonna argue especially arguing fiction and personal taste!<

Kind of late for that don't you think? Are we making progress or what? I think not! LOL!

>You said NuVybze is sweeter than Flames which means they are better. If you feel dem better more power to you and dem.<

I said they are "sweeter and better" than B.F. SKB is known as the "Sugar Land" also Nu-Vybes is known as "De Sugar Band". Last time I look sugar is sweet, correct. Hell even if you "Burn" the sugar it's still sweet. Get it? LOL!

>The majority knows who is better back then or now!<

See, this is where the 3 Stooges made their mistake. See if ya'll were smart, ya'll would have said "in what way are they better" rather than telling me and acting like Burning Flames is your sacred cow that can't be compared to. I'm not under any strange illusion that many people would agree that B.F. is better (whatever that means :) ), but it still wouldn't matter. Music is a personal thing. What maybe pleasing to your ears, is not so for another.

>I dont get emotional about Flames guy, they dont pay my bills,...<

BS! Because, like I said in my previous posting to you, you only reacted to this thread because of one sentence that compared Burning Flames. If you weren't overly "emotional about [Burning Flames] this back and forth bantering about them wouldn't be happening. You would have focus on the primary point of the thread.

>You on the other hand make Nu Vybes seem like they made hits, yet to be considered one of the premier bands. <

BS, I just said they were "now sweeter and better" than Burning Flames.

>Whether its your opinion or not...<

Well, it's a thread I started, so therefore of course it's my opinion. And if you don't share that opinion, then you state your opinion and done it at that. So let me reiterate, you don't come tell me that you can't compare Burning Flames. The type of music that Burning Flames and Nu-Vybes fall under is the Soca Umbrella, so yes you can compare them. Hell even if they are not, you can still compare them.

>They dont have the hits yet...<

What you mean by "hits"? They don't have to have "hits" for you to compare them. Are they making CD's? Are they making songs? If so, then you can compare them. Now are you going to judge them based on "hits" to determine which is better? If that is the criteria that you are going to use then that's fine. Can you not have a group that is coming with a different sound and style be better than a group that had a few "hits"?

>...nor the stage performance these other bands have. Big word- "Yet". <

Brace yourself, because I have never seen them perform. So I can't say that they are better in this area.

>I never said they werent good or couldnt make it so slow down your horses guy! Like I said before we are Leeward island artist/bands. We got to come out with better than good material to even get the airplay. <

Ok, so now you are getting close here. So you are saying that the "material" isn't very good. I mean you think it's "good" but just not good enough? Well if that is your opinion then I totally disagree with it. I think the "material" is more than good enough to get airplay. But yes, that could be a reason in some or 1 DJ's mind which could explain it. But I seriously doubt that this is the only or main cause for them not playing it.

>Trinidad and Barbados could come out with a weak tune and still get the airplay because they are the ones controlling the markets, most radio stations, and promotion.<

Agreed! But what about payola, maybe that's how B.F. got their foot in the door.....just kidding. LOL!

>Have you ever posted anything that has nothing to do with Nu vYBZE since you became a member????<

Yes I did this thread. Like I keep repeating for the umpteen time, this thread wasn't the main focus of Nu-Vybes. But I'm please to do so.

>But wait Im the crazed fanatic! Right?<

Son absolutely!

>And by the way, you dont know me, why talk sh#t and say im not concentrating "in versatility" "that category" ...<

I'm sure if you go back to that post, you'll see that is not what I said. Once again you didn't understand. Try asking question is something isn't clear. Emotions cloud the thinking process.

>Boss I go to school for music so keep your "opinions" out your replies boss! You dont worry about my postings. Instead of using up your time to calculate how much postings I do...<

Wrong dude! I didn't "calculate" one thing, the board did it. You telling me you didn't know that. All one has to do is click on the posters name and the board would show you the info.

>...Calculate how much hits,and fans Nu Vybze have.<

Look, we are not going to wait for others to determine whether Nu-Vybes makes good songs or not. We will embrace Nu-Vybes and other SKB bands. And from that stand point they have made a few "hits". And we will continue to support them as long as they keep making songs that are pleasing to us and if the rest of the Soca community agree great, if not, well too bad. We will stand firmly behind these bands.

>Maybe that would answer your post question!<

I don't think the Dj's are basing it on whether a group or artist had or have "hits" whether they are going to play a song or not.
    Why dont you write an biography for these guys or promote dem or something? Damn nobody here not buying your nonsense! Kapeshhhhh!

Junior Member Kittitian*Senorita*'s Avatar Kittitian*Senorita* is offline
    Credits
    I kno i'm late an all but w/e.. I don't understand how ayo could talk bout flames is betta than nu-vybes,, we all kno dat ain tru,, flames cyan compare to nu-vybes. Look at it, Nu-Vybes are on a higher level than any one else. Dey kno wa dey been through, you ain kno, so you shouldn't be comin here talkin bout nu-vybes cyan compare wid flames. An we all kno Kittitian music is different from oda soca music. We music MUCH faster dan any body else music, but so wat, it still sound good. Obviously you doan listen to we music good. If you listen to Nu-Vybes music (i'm not even talkin bout small axe nor grand masters) you would understand EVERYTHING,, we music positive an dey kno wa dey talkin bout. Wat i'm sayin is dat you guys shouldn't come up here and chat chupidness when you ain kno any thing. An a think ayo right, coz we does doan get enough air play. You does doan even hear about us dat much, it depends on who the dj is and w/e. We need to be promoted. You see any body on de street an dey ask you where you from an tell dem you from sk, dey wan kno wea dat be. If people doan kno wea sk be, de dj dem definately ain gon kno unless dey go down dere fa carnival, music fest. or something. We need to be promoted A LOT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails St.Kitts' Bands Get NO PLAY at Fete Jams or on the Radio Shows!-kn-flag1.gif  

Mommy Dearest **Vincy-Soca-Diva**'s Avatar **Vincy-Soca-Diva** is offline
    Credits
    As a representative for a small island I could understand where you guys are coming from. People sleep on the small islands when they are not Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, and sometimes Antigua. SVG was getting paly every now and again now we have Kevin Lyttle so we get a little morelove. But now many people know SVG and Trinidad were the first two countries to have Carnival, but that's a different story. As much as we could blame th DJ's we could also blame the promoters from the various small islands. It takes awhile befroe you hear the music from the smaller islands and it is good tunes that sometimes don't get recognize until a year later. I personally cannot recall Nu Vybez, could someone gimme a sample of their music grealt appreciate it. I often wondered if St.Kits had music. To me thay seemed like Guyana no music what so ever. I am glad to see that their are people who are pissed off, because it indicates you guys have good music that gets no air play. So Dj's and promoters come together to make us all happy.

Credits

THe djs arent to blame. Proper marketing is to blame. With the majority of the population listening to Trini/Bajan soca, the small islands should step up their game. As someone said earlier, if you want to hear this in NY, check the Bx. The Bx is full of Leeward Islanders, and every dance I go to there, is loaded with Flames, NuVybes, Smal axe, etc... even Seventeen Plus. The point is that if the djs in BK or wherever else arent exposed to this, what you want them to do. The bands need to work on their distribution, the venues they perform at etc. and yes, crappy music gets played, with that said, who the hell cares who is better than who.... just get your ish out there, and stop complaining. When I notice there is a lack of representation, I dont complain to the dj's, I tell the artists to supply me with their music, and I will get them to the djs. Thanks, and I'm out!

Credits
    Originally posted by yanktiguan

THe djs arent to blame. Proper marketing is to blame. With the majority of the population listening to Trini/Bajan soca, the small islands should step up their game. As someone said earlier, if you want to hear this in NY, check the Bx. The Bx is full of Leeward Islanders, and every dance I go to there, is loaded with Flames, NuVybes, Smal axe, etc... even Seventeen Plus. The point is that if the djs in BK or wherever else arent exposed to this, what you want them to do. The bands need to work on their distribution, the venues they perform at etc. and yes, crappy music gets played, with that said, who the hell cares who is better than who.... just get your ish out there, and stop complaining. When I notice there is a lack of representation, I dont complain to the dj's, I tell the artists to supply me with their music, and I will get them to the djs. Thanks, and I'm out!
    so very true...

when i fete to small island music, i usually go to bx.. for trini fetes usually go to bk, the lack of small island music on de radio can be blamed on the promoters and marketing tactics.. for one

a lot of the small island jams fail.. technical difficulty shit..

trini bands perform better (in my view)

anyways there are a few songs i believe that blend the two different stlyes like : the sun by machel and love party by bunji (the lead instrument is or was unique to creole islands)

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    Originally posted by stargate
    OK VINCY I GET YOU NOW...DEVA I WISH TORONTO WAS LIKE THAT..HERE IN TORONTO ON THE 3 OR 4 SOCA RADIO SHOWS YOU GOT YOU LUCKY TO HERE ANY OF THE SO-CALLED SMALL ISLAND MUSIC ON ANY OF THESE SHOWS..YOU MAY HERE ONE OR 2 BURNING FLAMES AND THE BAHANN FROM ANTIGUA BUT...VERTUALLY NO VI TUNES..NO ST.KITTS TUNES..NO DOMINICA TUNES..NO ANGUILLA TUNES...ZILCH ZERO NONE!!!...THE CARIBBEAN COMUNITY HERE TINTORONTO IS VERY VER UNIFIED UNLIKE IN SOME OF THE OTHER NORTH AMERICAN CITIES BUT IT SEEMS THAT THE TRINI AND BAJAN TUNES GET ALL THE AIR PLAY.
    AS FOR DJ'S DR. JAY AND KOS DO PLAY SONGS FROM THE SO-CALLED SMALL ISLANDS AT THIER FETES AND DANCES BUT IT'S ONLY THE REAL POP-ULAR TUNES FROM THOSE RESPECTIVE ISLANDS BUT FOR THE MOSTPART ITS 99% TIRINI AND BAJAN TUNES....BLACKBERRYSOUND CREW...THESE GUYS ARE THE ONLY BIG SOCA DJ'S IN THE CITY WHO SEEM TO MIX UP THEIR MUSIC AS FAR AS GIVING THE SMALL ISLAND TUNES A BLY!!! ALL THE REST DON'T REALLY PAY TO MUCH ATTENTION TO NON- TRINI AND NONE BAJAN MATERIAL!!! THIS IS STRANGE BECASUE THE WEST INDIAN COMMINTY HERE IS VERY UNIFIED AND OTHER ILSANDS MUSIC IS AVAILABLE TO ALL THESE DJ'S!!!...I DON'T SEE WHY THE RELUCTANCE TO PLAY THE TUNES!!!
    HEAR HEAR

I swear the DJs in Toronto are convinced that the caribbean is made up of Jamaica, TnT and Barbados and that St. Vincent and Grenada are cities in these islands where Kevin Lyttle and Tallpree are from. I don't even want to ask Dr. Jay or Soca Monarchs if they heard of ANU or SKB, I might hurt them cause of their answer.

Registered User small_island_descent's Avatar small_island_descent is offline
    Credits
    Oh yeah, and just for the record, my mother's Antiguan, father Kittian so I can make a judgement between Nu Vybes and Burning Flames without being nationalist to either side. When it comes to who had the "BEST" hit for the year, I'll give it to Burning Flames cause the riddim on 'RUSH' is amazing even though I don't like the way they sang the verses. But as far as who came out with the most hits, this year I give it to Nu Vybes. Flames had Rush, Jahbaless, Strings, Flood and Venom. Nu Vybes had Bangalang, One Hundred %, Tall Up, Style, Vitamin S, Good to Go & True Mass. And as far as the SK people go, why y'all keep forgetting Small Axe. the songs Creep Up, All My Buddies, De preditor, Cellular (even though it is the equivalent of Nelly's Air Force One song) & Backshot were big this year too. Tornado Band is coming up too with 110% Kittian, Higher Level, Jam Dem & Tornado Mix. UltraSonics was good too. Show dem love

Credits
    Isn't it at all possible that part of this is just a case of simple demographics? You go to the Bronx and u hear more Leeward Island music, and we done know nuff Antiguans, Kittians, and so on settle in Bx in relation to the other boroughs. Then u have ppl in South Florida saying the same thing, that there is more Leeward music being played. So the places where there're more ppl of particular nations, u hear more of their music. Isn't that just logical?

Admittedly this is a simplistic way of looking at it, but I'm just pointing that our sovereignity and familiarity/comfort with what we're used to is no reason to argue and cuss over. We just need to keep working on sharing and introducing our different vibes to one another.

So we just all have to work hard on introducing one another to our differing styles of soca. When you're not used to something, it takes a while to get accustomed to it. And yes -- as one person pointed out -- when ur not familiar with a style of music, it will all (incorrectly) sound the same to your ears; ppl need to gain a little sense of humility, realize that, and cool it on the judgements. All country music *sounds* the same to me, but I'm not arrogant enuff to actually think it all actually *does* sound the same.

just my 2 likkel cents and done.

oh and btw can we all pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase stop using the term small islands? damnnnnn.

Credits
    Originally posted by MysticReveller

just my 2 likkel cents and done.

steuuuuuuupsss....your always a long @ss diatribe:p

Credits
    Originally posted by LolaMs
    steuuuuuuupsss....your always a long @ss diatribe:p
    u could look in this thread and call 3 paragraph a diatribe?

nice avatar...besides dat yellow ting u have b4 nah suit u t'all :p

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast