Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: songs with pace seems to be dying out in TNT

Credits

songs with pace seems to be dying out in TNT

Why is it becoming increasingly difficult to find a song with pace, period, coming out of trinidad in recent years, much less a good song with pace? One should have a bunch of good songs for the road EVERY year. I mean, you need something to hype you up on the road and especially when you're crossing the stage. No groovy, ragga or chippin tune will do.

I find that I can name tons of tunes from 2008 going back but am struggling to recall any truly GREAT/MEMORABLE ones recently. I think a bit too much emphasis is being placed on the whole groovy business. And while I appreciate that everyone wants to have the next tempted to touch, roll it or tmo in terms of universal success, I would really like to see much more energy and effort put back into faster songs.

For me Bajans have always led the way in terms of output of fast songs and I love my bajan soca (although its not for everyone) but it seems to me there was a time when fast trini chunes were right up there in terms of quality and output. Now, I rank the Trini's behind, Vincy and Greenz in that department. (no disrespect to those countries respectively. been putting out nice stuff)

This is why Trinidad Carnival has been, to me at least, incomplete in the last few years.

I've been thinking this for a while but Palance was the straw that broke the camel's back and forced me to comment on this matter. That is hands down the worst roadmarch and monarch song of the decade and just plain bad as a fast song goes.

I really think Trinidad needs to step up. I think I'm potentially missing out IF the effort and interest is put into making faster chunes from trinida

If not at least june will be here before i know it.

Credits
    I like Thusty does that count.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by swallow View Post
    I like Thusty does that count.
    yeah thusty was straight .But on a real i to feel that the quality in high pace song are not there .Even here in the VI its the same thing .

Credits
    If they do die out it wouldn't be soon enough to me. Pace songs is not the legacy of trinidad's music...you can find much more of that kinda thing in other islands.
    dollbabi likes this.

Credits

Reminded me of this

So as I was responding to to the post as to whether MONSTER was the biggest fast soca of the year, I remembered this thread.... Since nothing has really changed in terms of musical output since I originally put this out, can anyone offer any perspective or insight outside of my ideas as to why there are very GOOD few fast songs coming out of Trinidad and by and large the Caribbean? Has that type of soca simply run its course or do people just not care?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SEXYBOY View Post
    So as I was responding to to the post as to whether MONSTER was the biggest fast soca of the year, I remembered this thread.... Since nothing has really changed in terms of musical output since I originally put this out, can anyone offer any perspective or insight outside of my ideas as to why there are very GOOD few fast songs coming out of Trinidad and by and large the Caribbean? Has that type of soca simply run its course or do people just not care?
    The TRINIS FOLLOWING the VINCIES.

Vincies music has CONSISTENTLY been SLOW to MIDTEMPO throughout its HISTORY, with one and two FAST PACE HITS.

Then when the INTERNATIONAL SOCA COMPETITION came into play, you saw a CHANGE in TEMPO CATERING to that EVENT.

YUHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    The TRINIS FOLLOWING the VINCIES.

Vincies music has CONSISTENTLY been SLOW to MIDTEMPO throughout its HISTORY, with one and two FAST PACE HITS.

Then when the INTERNATIONAL SOCA COMPETITION came into play, you saw a CHANGE in TEMPO CATERING to that EVENT.

YUHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee
    What year was that competition again?

Credits
    Dude to answer your question:
    Trinidad invented calypso and soca...both genres were slower paced music at inception....hence TnT's legacy is in slower paced music.

Around the 90s with the advent of jump and wave and then the ragga music...the pace was picked up....but most of these tunes lack melody and complexity which is the wheelhouse of trinidad's history in the music.

These fast paced songs have their time and place but that time and place is very limited...the road or in fetes leading up to carnival.

The slower pace lends itself to sweeter music and that is TnT's legacy.

I agree with you about the shift back to slower pace music....i predicted it would happen years ago.....and i couldn't be more please.

You will still get your one or two face tunes for the road late in the season but the emphasis has gone back to melodious songs
    Socapro and dollbabi like this.

Credits
    It may die out or just go through a rebirth for the better. The thing for the most part is that other than jump and wave and wave our rag, there hasn't been many other ideas with uptempo. This could stem from their being not enough producers well grounded in making this type of music in recent times.

I wonder how many producers are musicians as oppose to djs.

Credits
    What year was that competition again?
    I BELIEVE that COMPETITION STARTED in 2008

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Trinidad invented calypso and soca...both genres were slower paced music at inception....hence TnT's legacy is in slower paced music.

Around the 90s with the advent of jump and wave and then the ragga music...the pace was picked up....but most of these tunes lack melody and complexity which is the wheelhouse of trinidad's history in the music.

These fast paced songs have their time and place but that time and place is very limited...the road or in fetes leading up to carnival.

I agree with you about the shift back to slower pace music....i predicted it would happen years ago.....and i couldn't be more please.

You will still get your one or two face tunes for the road late in the season but the emphasis has gone back to melodious songs
    You're SHOWING again that you're a NOVICE when it comes to the SOCA INDUSTRY.

At NO TIME was "RAGGA SOCA" in the 1990's was FAST PACE. But you wouldn't know that, because you're a TRINI.

Only a VINCY would know this, because that is where RAGGA SOCA was INVENTED.

YUHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Credits

in trinidad you talking about??...cause in the north calypso and soca was always uptempo
    uran10, Bikey and Wadadlineko like this.
    St.Kitts Jam Crew Productions

like the fan page search for St.kitts Jam Crew Productions

or hit up on twitter @JAM_CREW

or email : st.kittsjamcrew@gmail.com

or soundcloud search for Jam Crew

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM CREW View Post
    in trinidad you talking about??...cause in the north calypso and soca was always uptempo
    DUDE is just PLAIN DELUSIONAL.

YUHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM CREW View Post
    It's quite obvious he is talking about Trinidad!
    In addition the title of the thread is about fast paced songs dying out in T&T.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits

felt like writing an essay lol

First off I do not agree that Trinidad created "calypso and soca sounding" music. I'm pretty sure most of the islands (mainly) of the lesser antilles had a sound that was similar (and slow) and identifiable to what Trinis termed Calypso and later on Soca. I'm sure SOME of the islands could listen to other islands music and see a close reflection of that genre in what originated in their respected islands. If you are talking Chutney then maybe Ill give you that although I don't know when the first Chutney song emerged from the caribbean. If you want to say Trinis created Trini Soca then I am totally cool with that as most islands soca has a distinctive quality to it. I am also cool with Trinis coming up with the term that is used universally today. You almost make it sound as if the other islands were cavemen who were knocking coconut shells together while Trinidad was making the greatest music ever.

Now Before I continue I guess I have to set some parameters for this discussion. I am going to cut off fast paced music of the past decade or so at around 145 BPM's and higher. If people think thats too slow or too fast let me know. The reason I am doing this is so that if examples are used we are comparing apples to apples. It's difficult to do regardless, because earlier fast paced songs like, lets say Dr Cassandra or Big Truck, were fast for its time but not when compared to what has been deemed fast over the last 16 years or so. And since those were the fast soca of the time I will be drawing upon examples of those also to illustrate that theses songs were quality and could definitely be considered complex. (which doesnt necessarily make a song good by the way)

Next, in reference to the bolded parts of your post are you saying that ragga soca is fast paced music? Because it is not. Secondly, are you implying that most of the fast paced tunes that came out of Trinidad were inferior by the reasons you stated OR was it fast paced music in general that was lacking. I disagree with you on both counts because the flag waving was only an aspect of faster tunes. Not every artist or song used it.

Like I said in the first post of this thread, THE TRINIS and THE BAJANS were leading the way with QUALITY fast paced song. Songs like Hold yuh bam bam, Doh Jam Dis, Time to wine, Obadele, Kaka lay lay, Hold up yuh foot, Signal for lara, Who B Blame, In De meantime, Sugar (Sweet), Rev de Engine, Bonnie and Clyde, Its Carnival, Start it, Snake Oil, Tek Dat, Down de Road, Telele, Road jam, Spread the Love, In De Congaline and the list goes on... Essentially every song on here is a soca classic and they are what most people (who have been around for a bit) would consider fast tunes or fast tunes for their time which is pretty much the same for the sake of this argument.

Can you define "sweet" as you see, it if you can. Is it a purely soca thing or more of a Trini thing to you. I have a sense of what it is to me. If you can't, post a few "sweet" songs from the past twenty years or so, so I can understand better your criteria for good music. It seems that sweet and good are essentially synonymous for you. I get the sense that you have an ear for a particular sound which falls into a particular tempo, and thus your "sweetness".

I'll choose the most sampled Musician in history to provide an example of why music does not have to be sweet to be good. James Brown's music could never be classified as "sweet" yet it can be quite complex, but isn't always, and is good music. The point of this is to show that good "unsweet " music can exist. In soca, good fast paced tunes (sweet and otherwise) were coming out in the past FROM TRINIDAD irrespective of Carnival season. If it happened then there is no reason it cant happen now.

I don't believe this Legacy business has anything to do with it. I think it is moreso everyone trying to get that next big hit. Artists have seen what kind of sound CAN be successful (MONETARILY) and they trying to be the next big thing.

I remember when groovy tunes were pleasant warm ups to the excellent fast paced tunes, which was when the fete really got started. Carnival season had nothing to do with that type of crowd response and excitement those songs generated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast