Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Should Soca Artists Go back to Charging for their Songs ?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by socapineman View Post
    Why it can't be each Island separately....each of them need to first have a " legal " structure to first safeguard their artists/producers material....copyright relating to that island, like how UK have , USA have, Canada, etc.......anyway, it is what it is !

Just a bootleg operation with narrow-minded ppl...hence, no growth !
    Your idea is great in theory but is not pragmatic, nor practical. Who runs these individual efforts, private or government? If private, what exactly will motivate anyone to invest in such a venture? If there a precedent that offers the assurance of growth? Whats the ROI? Prior to the digital age, was there enough sales to support the notion that it would be feasible venture financially? If it's a government effort, cost of implementation and budget for sustainability? Do all islands have professionals experienced and savvy enough to undertake such an endeavor? How much units, determines success? Are we using American industry standards for sales or a much scaled back version to represent to historical struggles in the soca market?

You have a very idealistic view. The notion of neutral fans as Vyenegre pointed out is not an actual reality. The soca listening and loving public is not neutral. Fans tend to gravitate to music from their island or from the island where their initial introduction to soca occurred. And while they might be tolerant towards other island soca offerings, they only truly embrace a select few songs or artists at any given time. Trini's for instance have loved Tallpree from his first introduction, so whenever he releases something and radio plays it it will get a fair opportunity to impress. Take Biggie Irie in contrast or even Kevin Lyttle, Trini may have liked a song or two from them but they wont automatically demand a listeners attention when their name is mentioned and a new release airs. Let's take it to a commercial level, Would a new release from Rupee or Kevin Lyttle be met with great anticipation right now? By whom? The people that you are around that are neutral amount to how much total sales if you all bought a copy of any one song? This is not about being closed minded and to say that when people voice their opinion is extremely rude when you seem to want to have an adult civilized discussion. You trying to approach cultural differences/bias as something logical that you can explain away but it really isn't that simple. As tolerant and open as I would like to believe I am some songs that hit in various islands sound awful to my ear. I wouldn't call it shit because I not feeling it but if I wasn't a DJ I wouldn't buy it or even want it in a mix.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyenegre Reloaded View Post
    Based on your perspective on things, I can only assume you have never experienced 'the islands'. You cannot be refering to the islands populations as a small minority.

What you discribe as small mindedness is more accuratley described as Cultural Differences.

Its clear you are passionate about Caribbean music so, here is a challenge - come down to DA for a carnival/creole fest and experience the road behind 3k or Ck truck. Only then will you be able to understand how different the music is and why its unrealistic for that sound to be judged along side the more international sounding soca.

Side note, a big part of building a succesfull busines model, is thorough understanding of your market. Your argument needs to make allownaces for the distinctive differences in the market.

I have been to UK back down to Bahia in Brazil and endless spots between those two, so again, you are speaking your experience and observation and I am speaking from my experience and observation…..

Re DA carnedrival and what they would play…again, I have already addressed it…I will quote it again for you …

“Why should local DJs in St Kitts( DA) , etc.....play music from Trinidad when they not acknowledging their artists !”

It is obvious they will play what they are accustom to.,

I think you are going off on a tangent here……

All I was asking was “ should Soca artists go back to charging for their songs like Taylor, Rihanna, Etc….and how this can be accomplish …Please see my post # 8 again.

Meaning….for any artists in any Island how do they get their music on Itunes, Amazon, etc and sell it vs giving it away…..that was it.

Okay, and to your point, what I purpose won't work....,and that is okay too.....just kicking around ideas.

To your point…I will address it since it seems that is what you want to talk about…biasness per islands…ok, fair enough, I said it is a minority…you say it is a majority….ok, fair enough, it is a Majority…

At the end of the day…all I was saying is if this Majority of fans for example in Spice love Jab Jab riddims, fine…all I was saying is that each Island should put an association in place to help “ safeguard their artists copyright material “ and put it out there for sale vs. given it away…..

Hopefully, I made myself clear, not that you agree, but what I was asking….

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Unit View Post
    Your idea is great in theory but is not pragmatic, nor practical. Who runs these individual efforts, private or government? If private, what exactly will motivate anyone to invest in such a venture? If there a precedent that offers the assurance of growth? Whats the ROI? Prior to the digital age, was there enough sales to support the notion that it would be feasible venture financially? If it's a government effort, cost of implementation and budget for sustainability? Do all islands have professionals experienced and savvy enough to undertake such an endeavor? How much units, determines success? Are we using American industry standards for sales or a much scaled back version to represent to historical struggles in the soca market?

You have a very idealistic view. The notion of neutral fans as Vyenegre pointed out is not an actual reality. The soca listening and loving public is not neutral. Fans tend to gravitate to music from their island or from the island where their initial introduction to soca occurred. And while they might be tolerant towards other island soca offerings, they only truly embrace a select few songs or artists at any given time. Trini's for instance have loved Tallpree from his first introduction, so whenever he releases something and radio plays it it will get a fair opportunity to impress. Take Biggie Irie in contrast or even Kevin Lyttle, Trini may have liked a song or two from them but they wont automatically demand a listeners attention when their name is mentioned and a new release airs. Let's take it to a commercial level, Would a new release from Rupee or Kevin Lyttle be met with great anticipation right now? By whom? The people that you are around that are neutral amount to how much total sales if you all bought a copy of any one song? This is not about being closed minded and to say that when people voice their opinion is extremely rude when you seem to want to have an adult civilized discussion. You trying to approach cultural differences/bias as something logical that you can explain away but it really isn't that simple. As tolerant and open as I would like to believe I am some songs that hit in various islands sound awful to my ear. I wouldn't call it shit because I not feeling it but if I wasn't a DJ I wouldn't buy it or even want it in a mix.

Whoever stated it was simple ?

Obviously if it was simple, we wouldn’t be having this discussion!

Per post # 8, they are private, Home - RIAA, they represent all the producers, record label , etc…..

IMO, it seem that a good place to start regarding selling your CDs is to have an association to back you and help you with copyright issues.
    Re : The soca listening and loving public is not neutral, again that is your observation, as stated mine is different.

Re your example Rupee or KL….the ppl that I know that enjoy music are not concern oh he is Bajan, oh he is from Vincy…..if they put out a “ good “ song, so be it….we will like it for what it is…a good song,

Credits
    Whoever stated it was simple ?

Obviously if it was simple, we wouldn’t be having this discussion!

Per post # 8, they are private, Home - RIAA, they represent all the producers, record label , etc…..

IMO, it seem that a good place to start regarding selling your CDs is to have an association to back you and help you with copyright issues.
    Re : The soca listening and loving public is not neutral, again that is your observation, as stated mine is different.

Re your example Rupee or KL….the ppl that I know that enjoy music are not concern oh he is Bajan, oh he is from Vincy…..if they put out a “ good “ song, so be it….we will like it for what it is…a good song,
    Not disputing whether your people care about nationality or cultural nuances in the music. My question is how much units can you project would be purchased collectively by these people and yourself. Don't get me wrong and believe I am against your idea, it's simply a matter of vision. I think regionally we should have a body that deals with intellectual property rights for our collective soca artists. Most music produced in North America is registered with BMI and ASCAP. In the Caribbean we should have our own regional body that does the same and liaises with the American institutions for royalty collection purposes. The other issue we will run into becomes terrestrial radio coverage. Soca music hardly gets any airtime because we have very little legal options. This is also true in the UK as well and is the very reason that pirate stations have become common place. So now you have artists music being played and no royalties collecting. However it's a tricky position for the artists because they rely on being heavily rotated on the bootleg stations to raise awareness of their music. I don't pretend to have a potential solution, however I do know that given the technological age that we find ourselves in the feasibility of what you've suggested is extremely low.
    Space available for RENT

Credits
    I have been to UK back down to Bahia in Brazil and endless spots between those two, so again, you are speaking your experience and observation and I am speaking from my experience and observation…..

Re DA carnedrival and what they would play…again, I have already addressed it…I will quote it again for you …

“Why should local DJs in St Kitts( DA) , etc.....play music from Trinidad when they not acknowledging their artists !”

It is obvious they will play what they are accustom to.,

I think you are going off on a tangent here……

All I was asking was “ should Soca artists go back to charging for their songs like Taylor, Rihanna, Etc….and how this can be accomplish …Please see my post # 8 again.

Meaning….for any artists in any Island how do they get their music on Itunes, Amazon, etc and sell it vs giving it away…..that was it.

Okay, and to your point, what I purpose won't work....,and that is okay too.....just kicking around ideas.

To your point…I will address it since it seems that is what you want to talk about…biasness per islands…ok, fair enough, I said it is a minority…you say it is a majority….ok, fair enough, it is a Majority…

At the end of the day…all I was saying is if this Majority of fans for example in Spice love Jab Jab riddims, fine…all I was saying is that each Island should put an association in place to help “ safeguard their artists copyright material “ and put it out there for sale vs. given it away…..

Hopefully, I made myself clear, not that you agree, but what I was asking….

Maybe I got you wrong, I thought you were suggesting one business infrastructure to serve caribbean music.

I still dont see how small artist who is struggling to get recognised by giving DJs his songs free, would benefit from charging.

And I think what you are talking about is ECCO (for royalties etc) in the eastern Caribbean, I think TnT has one and so does Jamaica.

Credits
    2018 Soca season coming up, I hope these soca artists respect their craft and start charging for their work (songs) and stop giving it away to these DJs, record stations ( both bootleg and leg), etc.

The joke is on the artists, they have to pay for production, or the person who wrote it, it seems that everyone is benefitting off their foolishness of giving it away !

The so call celebrity DJs will get all the bookings, and only interested in Bussin it first !

The local "soca pusher" will benefit by posting on YouTube where they can make money off Subscribers

The Bootleggers making money by playing their songs and collecting from ads, yet nothing for the artists.

The local yutes will find a way to pilfer it off YouTube, soundcloud, etc

Come carnival, if you lucky, maybe at best two to three none name artists will get booked out of maybe 2k to 3k songs.

The money will go to the top acts for the last decade : Machel, Destra, Kes, Bunji .......throw in Talpree or some other artist not to look totally bias in the name of Caribbean unity .

I am not even going to talk about Soca Monarch it they make it and how much they have to put out, etc

So, I hope these artists see that they in a no win situation and enabling the " The freeloaders " and the ones that love freeness under the bogus claim that they love their culture, etc.

If JayZ, Taylor Swift, Nicki, etc ain't given theirs away....why are you ?

It is either you a fool !

The production is weak, poor quality !

Or you just in for the a$$ and the little hype if you get a little play......( that one I can respect and accept)

If an artist can shed some insight !

My thing is that if they love your work, the real fans , lovers of soca will pay for it....have some pride and stop giving it away !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123