Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SHADOWLINGO Blog - Bones of Contention on the Soca Boat

  1. #16
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Try to tief people music for years and when the evidence is put in your face...tuck yuh tail between yuh leg and proclaim "i didn't do that!"

    Pathetic!







    So much nonsense claims in this post its not even funny!
    In OTHER WORDS, U and the OTHER TRAUMATIZED TRINI CANNOT SHOW where I said RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE.

  2. #17
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,928
    Credits
    48,746,214
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    In OTHER WORDS, U and the OTHER TRAUMATIZED TRINI CANNOT SHOW where I said RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE.
    Bishes be ungrateful! Well yes!
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

  3. #18
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Bishes be ungrateful! Well yes!
    SEE my PREVIOUS comment.

    YUHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEE

  4. #19
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,928
    Credits
    48,746,214
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post

    [SIZE=4][COLOR="#0000FF"]
    If you LOOK at the BRIDGE in the LYRICS, you NEED NOTHING more than that. But the GENIUS of this SONG is how he BROUGHT TOGETHER BOB MARLEY, YELLOW MAN, SPARROW, EXPLAINER, SWALLOW, CARNIVAL, CALYPSO, FESTIVAL and SUNPLASH and TIED them or MARRY THEM TOGETHER with SOCA REGGAE and so GIVE you the DEFINITIVE BIRTH of the RAGGA SOCA genre.
    IT IS PURE GENIUS on the PART of BECKET as a SONGWRITER and COMPOSER.
    Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha! Well yes!
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

  5. #20
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha! Well yes!
    SMH

    IF U LACK READING COMPREHENSION, I can HOLD YOUR HAND, like I have DONE for OVER 9 YEARS, and BREAK IT DOWN for U.

    But I want to GIVE U another CHANCE.

    SHOW ME in the QUOTE that you POSTED where I MENTIONED RAGGA SOCA is REGGAE and CALYPSO.

    Just ANSWER The QUESTION ASKED of U.

    In other words, NO DISTRACTION/RED HERRINGS/STRAWMAN arguments, just ANSWER what is REQUESTED of U.

    YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

  6. #21
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,725
    Credits
    891,205,982
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    Try to tief people music for years and when the evidence is put in your face...tuck yuh tail between yuh leg and proclaim "i didn't do that!"

    Pathetic!


    So much nonsense claims in this post its not even funny!
    I just read that comical piece that you quoted from the Imps about Becket's "Soca Rocker Cabaret" being the defining moment for Ragga Soca and mih belly still hurting me from laughing. I only just read it because I still have the Imps on Ignore and that post confirms why it was probably one of the best decisions I made since I started to post regularly on Imix to place him on Ignore.

    Firstly VP got the year wrong as Becket's "Soca Rocker Cabaret" was recorded and released in 1983 and not 1982 as he tried to misform the gullibe. Here is a link to confirm the year of release (http://www.discogs.com/Alston-Becket...elease/6267155) and I also have the album at home on vinyl to confirm for myself without even having to rely on that internet link.

    Becket - Soca Rocker Cabaret (1983)


    Also Kitchener's "Gimme D Ting" was first released as a 12" in 1982 (before Becket's "Soca Rocker Cabaret" came out) and was then included on Kitchener's early 1983 album "Simply Wonderful". See links: http://www.discogs.com/Lord-Kitchene...elease/3250094
    http://www.discogs.com/Lord-Kitchene...elease/3681625

    Lord Kitchener - Gimme D Ting (1982/83)


    Apart from Kitchener fusing Reggae and Soca before Becket did so did other artists like Andre Tanker, Explainer and Lord Laro. Here are some of their songs and there are many others.

    André Tanker - Hosanna (1980)


    Explainer - Rass Mass (1980/81)


    Lord Laro - Ire Tempo (1981)


    Lord Laro - Yu Have Fe Dred (1978)


    Now back to Shadow, the star of this thread and the person who Vincies need to listen to the most to educate themselves properly before making their silly claims about starting ragga soca. Their desperate claim only serves to show how uneducated they are about calypso and soca music.

    Shadow - Doh Mess Wid Meh Head (1980)


    Shadow - Music Fever (1981)
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  7. #22
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    LADIES and GENTS, NOTICE NONE Of these TWO TRAUMATIZED TRINIS CANNOT SHOW where I SAID that RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE.

    THE IDIOT ONE who ALWAYS HIDE BEHIND his MUMA FROCK, whenever he is SUPPOSED to DEBATE ME, CANNOT SHOW where I have made such a STATEMENT. So he WANTS for the OTHER TRAUMATIZED TRINI, DEDETRINIQUEEN, TO COME and RESCUE HIM.

    Of course, HE TOO FAILED, BECAUSE I MADE NO SUCH PRONOUNCEMENT in ANY OF MY ARGUMENTS.

    Anyone who has FOLLOWED my IRREFUTABLE CLAIM about RAGGA SOCA in this FORUM, KNOWS that I NEVER EVER made such a CLAIM. But like always, when they CANNOT BEAT my IRREFUTABLE THESIS, they RESORT to LIES and DISTRACTIONS.

    So when these TWO CLOWNS READY to ADMIT that I MADE NO SUCH CLAIM, I am MORE than READY to TAKE THEM ON AGAIN and their NEW ARGUMENTS.

    My ARGUMENT REMAINS the SAME. I do not have to CHANGE ANYTHING. All I have to do is ADD MORE to what I have said.

    So when you TWO NINCOMPOOPS are MAN ENOUGH to ADMIT that I NEVER made any CLAIM, ZERO/NADA/ZILCH, that RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE, JUST GO RIGHT AHEAD and APOLOGIZE.

    When BOTH OF U DO, I will be more that HAPPY to ADDRESS the REGURGITATED FART that aryo PUTTING FORTH once more.

    So LET US SEE WHO IS MAN or MOUSE.

    The BALL is NOW IN YOUR COURT.

    YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

  8. #23
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    U KNOW why that FOOL CAN ONLY HIDE BEHIND HIS MUMA FROCK and THROW STONES AT ME, SPEAKING of SOCA-AMATEUR, it is BECAUSE I SHUT HIM DOWN when he FIRST CAME ON here by EXPOSING his LIES and DECEPTION. From SINCE then, he has been HIDING from ME LIKE A SCARED LITTLE CHILD, because he KNOWS he is NO MATCH for ME.

    I can LITERALLY TELL when this FOOL is LYING or when he is MAKING UP STORIES. That is how PREDICTABLE he is.

    For EXAMPLE, if I want, I can SHOW the MEMBERSHIP and OBSERVERS ANOTHER LIE in his LAST POST. But I will WAIT until he and the OTHER CLOWN act like REAL MEN and ADMIT that they ERRED when they said I have stated that RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE.

    SOCA-AMATEUR will do ANYTHING, LIE if he MUST, as I have EXPOSED HIM on MANY OCCASIONS, when he MANUFACTURED PHANTOM VINCY FRIENDS and CLAIMS of HAVING the VINYL for EVERY SONG he CITES to SUPPORT his FLAWED ARGUMENTS.

    Again, the BALL is in your COURT, LITTLE SCARED BOY aka SOCA-AMATEUR.

    THIS VINCY WILL SHUT U DOWN ANY and EVERY TIME U have the COURAGE to DEBATE ME, ONE on ONE, on any ISSUE REGARDING CALYPSO or SOCA.

    If you WANT, I am even WILLING to ADD the OTHER CLOWN, DEDETRINIQUEEN, to HELP U OUT.

    In other words, I will TAKE ON BOTH of U CLOWNS on this VERY SUBJECT again, because all I see is the SAME REGURGITATED FART that I have ALREADY SCHOOLED BOTH of U ON.

    That is MY CHALLENGE to U. So again, LET US SEE if U R MAN or MOUSE.

    YUHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

  9. #24
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,928
    Credits
    48,746,214
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    LADIES and GENTS, NOTICE NONE Of these TWO TRAUMATIZED TRINIS CANNOT SHOW where I SAID that RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE.

    THE IDIOT ONE who ALWAYS HIDE BEHIND his MUMA FROCK, whenever he is SUPPOSED to DEBATE ME, CANNOT SHOW where I have made such a STATEMENT. So he WANTS for the OTHER TRAUMATIZED TRINI, DEDETRINIQUEEN, TO COME and RESCUE HIM.

    Of course, HE TOO FAILED, BECAUSE I MADE NO SUCH PRONOUNCEMENT in ANY OF MY ARGUMENTS.

    Anyone who has FOLLOWED my IRREFUTABLE CLAIM about RAGGA SOCA in this FORUM, KNOWS that I NEVER EVER made such a CLAIM. But like always, when they CANNOT BEAT my IRREFUTABLE THESIS, they RESORT to LIES and DISTRACTIONS.

    So when these TWO CLOWNS READY to ADMIT that I MADE NO SUCH CLAIM, I am MORE than READY to TAKE THEM ON AGAIN and their NEW ARGUMENTS.

    My ARGUMENT REMAINS the SAME. I do not have to CHANGE ANYTHING. All I have to do is ADD MORE to what I have said.

    So when you TWO NINCOMPOOPS are MAN ENOUGH to ADMIT that I NEVER made any CLAIM, ZERO/NADA/ZILCH, that RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE, JUST GO RIGHT AHEAD and APOLOGIZE.

    When BOTH OF U DO, I will be more that HAPPY to ADDRESS the REGURGITATED FART that aryo PUTTING FORTH once more.

    So LET US SEE WHO IS MAN or MOUSE.

    The BALL is NOW IN YOUR COURT.

    YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
    It doh matter fella because all your claims for vincyland in soca/calypso are based on fantasies and delusions......all of it.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

  10. #25
    Repect Our Soca Pioneers Socapro's Avatar Socapro is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Soca Island
    Posts
    16,725
    Credits
    891,205,982
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    It doh matter fella because all your claims for vincyland in soca/calypso are based on fantasies and delusions......all of it.
    I just read your quote of one of the Imps latest post and I must say the fella is indeed a comic.
    For some deluded reason he still believes he is addressing me even though I have had the mule on Ignore since April 2012.

    Anyway it was me who debunked his original fantasy argument that "Coming High" was a ragga soca and I also clearly showed that it was not even a fusion of Reggae and Calypso despite Becket’s lyrics about “Coming High”. That "Coming High" song is simply and more accurately a calypso/soca hybrid as were many of the songs made in the late 1970's not long after Soca was introduced.

    So VP has now moved the goal post to trying to forward Becket's "Soca Rocker Cabaret" as the new hallmark track marking the birth of ragga soca which I also debunked in my above post (#21).

    In short, the fella is delusional and will do anything to ignore reality and continue in his delusional state despite all the evidence to clearly show that he has been living in the Twilight Zone for quite some time now.

    PS:
    I don't know why these people just can't be thankful that Trinis taught them how to play this music and just concentrate on trying to make good soca with the hope that the Trini market might give them the thumbs-up.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

    Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

  11. #26
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    It doh matter fella because all your claims for vincyland in soca/calypso are based on fantasies and delusions......all of it.
    BASED ON DELUSIONS and FANTASIES=TAKE INDIAN RHYTHMS and TRANSFERRED THEM to the DRUM SET.

    That is what you have been INDOCTRINATED to BELIEVE all your LIFE.

    Unlike you, I ANALYZE THINGS and TRY to MAKE SENSE of them.

    In other words, I am a CRITICAL THINKER.

    U R NOT.

    YUHHHHH SEEEEE MEEEEEE

  12. #27
    Registered Member VINCYPOWA's Avatar VINCYPOWA is offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    ISLANDMIX DOT COM
    Posts
    89,615
    Credits
    47,057,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    I just read your quote of one of the Imps latest post and I must say the fella is indeed a comic.
    For some deluded reason he still believes he is addressing me even though I have had the mule on Ignore since April 2012.

    Anyway it was me who debunked his original fantasy argument that "Coming High" was a ragga soca and I also clearly showed that it was not even a fusion of Reggae and Calypso despite Becket’s lyrics about “Coming High”. That "Coming High" song is simply and more accurately a calypso/soca hybrid as were many of the songs made in the late 1970's not long after Soca was introduced.

    So VP has now moved the goal post to trying to forward Becket's "Soca Rocker Cabaret" as the new hallmark track marking the birth of ragga soca which I also debunked in my above post (#21).

    In short, the fella is delusional and will do anything to ignore reality and continue in his delusional state despite all the evidence to clearly show that he has been living in the Twilight Zone for quite some time now.

    PS:
    I don't know why these people just can't be thankful that Trinis taught them how to play this music and just concentrate on trying to make good soca with the hope that the Trini market might give them the thumbs-up.
    As for U, I won't even WASTE my TIME.

    U and the OTHER NINCOMPOOP cannot PROVIDE the EVIDENCE that I said RAGGA SOCA is CALYPSO and REGGAE. So if anyone is in the TWILIGHT ZONE, GUESS who it is?

    Now that EVERYONE has seen that U R just a LIKKLE BOY HIDING behind your MUMA FROCK, because U R SCARED to DEBATE, I DONE HERE.

    But if you have a CHANGE of HEART, just say VINCYPOWA 3X and I will APPEAR.

    Until that TIME, ADIOS LIKKLE BOY. U R not in my LEAGUE.

    This VINCY will SCHOOL U EVERY SINGLE TIME, as I did when U FIRST APPEARED in this FORUM, whenever U R READY.

    By the way, do U REMEMBER when U had to RUN like a LIKKLE GIRL out of this FORUM, because of all the SCHOOLING U RECEIVED from me?

    Do you REMEMBER or DO U RATHER NOT REMEMBER, eh LIKKLE BOY?

    It was those LICKS that I GAVE U which LED U to WAVE the WHITE FLAG of SURRENDER, and then PRETENDED that you had me on IGNORE.

    One thing I can say about DEDETRINIQUEEN, he has MORE BALLS THAN U. U R AFRAID OF ME. I INTIMIDATE U, and that is why you're AFRAID to DEBATE ME.

    SEE YA around, COWARD SOCA-AMATEUR.

    YUHHHHHH SEEEE MEEEEE

  13. #28
    Registered User Seawall's Avatar Seawall is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    4,328
    Credits
    11,321,991
    Some comments on the Shadowlingo article above;

    https://shadowlingo.wordpress.com/20...the-soca-boat/

    mere pamphleteer says:
    December 29, 2014 at 2:09 pm
    I stumbled upon these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYM97IqrNk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLUUlX39ZE and wondered if there’s any merit—even fleeting—to Eddy Grant’s claim though it was dismissed out of hand by Chalkie and Shorty. In rejecting the ‘great man’ theory of history do we stop at three with respect to the ‘invention’ of soca?

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
    Lawrence Waldron says:
    December 29, 2014 at 11:31 pm
    My Trini prejudice is to dismiss Eddie Grant’s claim too. But why? My whole point is that it is impossible to pin down the exact beginning of a thing. To the namer have gone the spoils, but certainly more people than Shorty (and let me stress Art DeCoteau here) contributed to the birth of that musical phenomenon. Soca is music, it’s not a Model A by Ford (and Ford had thousands of inventors to thank anyway). Soca is an organic thing and it is my opinion that Shadow punched the hole in the ‘Calypso boat’ through which Shorty flooded with a music and a sophisticated syncretic vision that HE named, “Sokah”…but by Maestro’s Savage (when Shorty himself says he backs off of the music) the music is no longer “Sokah” to Shorty himself and so by his own stringent, somewhat exclusivist criteria, the music of Savage, Bionic and Sugar Bum Bum is not exactly his (certainly not in content [in Shorty’s own opinion], but neither in structure).

    Like

    Reply
    mere pamphleteer says:
    December 30, 2014 at 6:22 pm
    Yes, while I agree with you that it’s hard to ‘pin down the exact beginning of a thing’ I wonder if this stance doesn’t leave the window wide open. For years I have been hearing the claim that King Wellington with his “Steel and Brass” (1973) must be viewed as an early and key player in soca’s evolution. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r06...Y&spfreload=10). One also wonders if Kalyan (‘What we gonna do next?’ LP, 1975, and later ‘Trini Vibes” 1977) should not be in the runnings (if not coterminous with Shorty’s and Shadow’s claims). Interestingly, too, while Shorty and Shadow (later Eddy Grant) directly and/or indirectly broached the issue of ‘invention’, the music of the other aspirants reverberates as their bones contestation. Accepting the view that the late 1960s to early 1970s was a period of great turmoil throughout the society, art/music not being exempted, there was much cross-fertilization from within and outside the body politic creating a very dynamic and fluid time musically and beyond.
    Still, an aversion to the single inventor school is borne out by the distancing from the notion of Spree Simon being pan’s singular inventor. Our penchant for privileging a single source—not too different from what Best referred to, in the political sphere, as the dangers of (a single story) doctor politics– is reflected in the claim by many in the 1970s that Nearlin Taitt, a Trini, was the inventor of “rock steady.” (see Nearlin Taitt: the secret Trinidadian hero of Jamaican music - Caribbean Beat Magazine).

    Liked by 1 person

    Reply
    Lawrence Waldron says:
    January 20, 2015 at 2:12 am
    Your phrase “the late 1960s to early 1970s was a period of great turmoil throughout the society, art/music” gets to the heart of this period of innovation and “cross-fertilization” in which dozens contributed to the greenhouse atmosphere in which certain key characters managed to breed a new and fruitful species called Soca. We can give Shorty his due but some orthodoxies will object to us giving Shadow (and others) credit as well, especially as more than an “also ran”…Great Man history is awfully convenient and expedient (with room only for Darwin but not Wallace, Edison but not Tesla) and when anybody challenges monolithic history (note my phallic symbolism), there are expenses involved in changing all those official records: monetary publishing expenses; credential expenses; social capital expenses…
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

    “If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

  14. #29
    Registered User dedetriniking's Avatar dedetriniking is offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,928
    Credits
    48,746,214
    very astute in both delivery and and observations.
    I hath 9 and 90 tribulations and nary a one doth concern a wench!

  15. #30
    Registered User Seawall's Avatar Seawall is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    4,328
    Credits
    11,321,991
    Benn buying old vinyl from the 70's to better gage what early soca sounded like. As I've mentioned before, many records have been showing up on youtube recently. Don't have this one though...

    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

    “If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.” Frederick Douglass

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •