So, what is your favourite parang soca?

I will say
    Drink Ah Rum - Lord Kitchener So many good memories

Credits
    Leroy - Scrunter
    Anita - Scrunter
    Trini Christmas - Susan Macio
    Yvonne - Crazy
    Basically all de classics ones, Baron, Marcia Maranda, Scrunter, Diasy Voisin....all ah dem. Ah cyah choose one!

Credits

my fav' dis season

Quote Originally Posted by TriniBob
    Leroy - Scrunter
    Anita - Scrunter
    Trini Christmas - Susan Macio
    Yvonne - Crazy
    Basically all de classics ones, Baron, Marcia Maranda, Scrunter, Diasy Voisin....all ah dem. Ah cyah choose one!

Chineee Parang....

pang lang lang....yang yang yang

Chinee Parang

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGOGYUL
    Chineee Parang....

pang lang lang....yang yang yang

Chinee Parang
    I love dat chune to, but no-one knows who it's by or has a link. You could help?

Credits

Artist

Quote Originally Posted by TTmudder
    I love dat chune to, but no-one knows who it's by or has a link. You could help?
    All I know its by D joseph, sorry no link

PTM
    Credits

Tantie Eulyn

Tantie Eulyn.............whey yuh cooking? Dat song baaaaadddd.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TTmudder
    It's that time again.

So, what is your favourite parang soca?

I will say
    Drink Ah Rum - Lord Kitchener So many good memories
    A good ole Paranda. Always a fun thing.

OUR SPANISH HERITAGE
    Trinidad Guardian
    January 1, 2000

PARANG'S IMPACT ON OUR VOCABULARY

Serenal
    The serenal introduces the parang band and gives greetings to the members of the household.

Despuedir
    Despuedir is a farewell song.

Aguinaldo
    A song on the life of Christ is referred to as an Aguinald. The Aguinaldo may be divided into Annunciacion and Nacimiento.

Annunciacion
    Songs which deal mainly with the announcement to Mary that she was chosen to be the mother of Christ.

Nacimiento
    Tells about the birth of Christ.

Between the years 1687 to 1837 Capuchin Monks from Spain set up missions in different parts of the island to teach the native Amerindians Christianity.

The priests found that the natives loved music and were quick at learning it so they composed songs on different parts of the Bible, such as songs dealing with the life of Christ and taught them to the natives.

Today paranderos sing at Christmas time about the birth of Christ in their parang songs.

Some scholars claim that parang is derived from the Venezuelan-Spanish word "paranda" which means to go from house to house to fete. Gordon Rohlehr in Development in Caribbean Music - A Caricom UNDP UWI Project: "Parang is a combination of Spanish lyrics, Venezuelan music and Trinidad rhythms."

Daphne Pawan-Taylor, author of Parang of Trinidad, a publication of the National Cultural Council of 1979, in her attempt to explain how it all started, writes, "Parang is a term which identifies a custom belonging to Trinidad's Hispanic Heritage. The word itself is neither Spanish nor English. It is the colloquial term for "parran", the abbreviation of "parranda", the Spanish word which means a spree, or carousel, or a group of more than four people who go out at night singing to the accompaniment of musical instruments."

Folklorists, cultural anthropologists and ethnomusicologists who have studied the history of Spain, its language, and its music, from 1498-1797 (the period of Spanish rule of Trinidad), have come to the conclusion that while parang, in the early period of our history, was influenced by religion, the music is a product of the 19th century.

The rhythm (3/4 : 6/8 beat) is influenced by the early economic and social environment of Spain during the Spanish rule of Trinidad and Venezuela (1498 to 1797), the Spanish spoken in Venezuela, the Roman Catholic Church, the frequent interchange of visits by inhabitants of both countries throughout the years, and the poetry and song of the people of the remote coastal villages to the east of Venezuela in proximity to Trinidad.

One can find in the parang music of Trinidad the folk-culture of Venezuela. Paranderos of Trinidad sing the Manzanare, the Galeron and the Aguinaldo.

The remote village of Cumana, through which the river Manzanare flows, has inspired the singing of the parang songs called the Manzanare by paranderos of Trinidad.

Noteworthy is the fact that the ancestral Spanish village of Lopinot in Trinidad has its own version of the Manzanare, which tells of the flow of the Lopinot River through the centre of the Lopinot Village.

Margarita, another remote town of Venezuela is the home of the Galeron - referred to as the "Cross-way" by paranderos of both countries.

The Galeron at Margarita is sung in the month of May known also as the Month of the Mother and the Month of the Flower.

Through the singing of the Galeron the people of Margarita relive the sufferings experienced by the Christ of the Christian Church, and they re-enact the stations leading to his death on the cross.

The Galeron, though a dying musical art-form of the parrandero population of Trinidad, can still be heard at the remote traditional Roman Catholic villages of Mamoral, Rancho Quemado, and Lopinot among singers of the authentic parang. The Aguinaldo of Trinidad parang is made up of the Annunciacion and the Nacimiento.

The Annunciacion tells of the visit of the angel Gabriel to Mary and the announcement of the birth of Jesus Christ while the Nacimiento tells the story of the 12 days of Christmas - the birth of Christ.

Other parang songs of the Venezuelan east coast influencing the parang of Trinidad and sung by the parrandero of Trinidad are the Estribrillo, Sabana Blanca, Joropo and Guarapo.

A farewell song called a Despuedir is rendered by departing paranderos as they head for another home to serenade.

Source
    Researched by Arlene Thomas and Barbara Harris, Education Broadcasting Officers, Schools Broadcasting Unit, Ministry of Education, in association with:
    Cynthia Ross, National Parang Association
    The Guerrero Family, Practitioners of the Traditional Authentic Parang, of the Community of Lopinot
    The Salina Family
    The Gomez Family
    Leonard Burnley
    Jose Fernandez of the Venezuelan Embassy

Credits
    OTO, what are you TRYING to tell the TRINIDADIANS???

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA
    OTO, what are you TRYING to tell the TRINIDADIANS???
    That they share culture with their Caribbean neighbors to the South. Just like Venezuelans have their Calypso from Trini influence.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Otorongo
    That they share culture with their Caribbean neighbors to the South. Just like Venezuelans have their Calypso from Trini influence.
    So you're saying that TRINIDAD stole PARANG music from Venezuela, VIA SPAIN, thus should not give the IMPRESSION that it belongs to them, EXCLUSIVELY, or they should not give the IMPRESSION that they CREATED/INVENTED this GENRE????

LSK
    Credits
    Well I came in here to post my favorite parang song (it is straight parang from Los Tocodores - Anda Parandero), but once again Otorongo has turned a fun and light hearted thread into a boring lecture and cause for debate. Boy I swear you truly believe that no one will talk to you unless you frustrate them into an argument.

Why not go start yuh own boring lecture thread and leave TTMudder (who clearly had an idea of where he wanted his thread to go) and the rest of us to celebrate parang/soca parang as we see fit?

Thank you... and goodnight.

VP --
    Last edited by LSK; 12-22-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Credits
    So you're saying that TRINIDAD stole PARANG music from Venezuela, VIA SPAIN, thus should not give the IMPRESSION that it belongs to them, EXCLUSIVELY, or they should not give the IMPRESSION that they CREATED/INVENTED this GENRE????
    SERIOUSLY! You is the biggest asshole ever jed....Oh $hiiiit!!

I never see somebody who whole life is about trying to prove to all Trinis that our music and cultures is a hoax.
    Just face the fact....all music coming out of Trinidad is unique.

Where Parang is concern. Geographically, no one could control Trinidad and Tobago being so close to Venezuela but God.
    Geographically, noone could control 2 musical cultures fusing with each other.
    About exclusivity.....Parang is Trinidad and Tobago, parang is not Venezuela. I played parang music for many Venezuelan people and they never heard it before.

The jealousy have to stop my friend.
    Study Kevin Little and his 15 minutes, donít study T&T and we music.
    Thank you
    Last edited by DR. SILK; 12-22-2005 at 06:10 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. SILK
    SERIOUSLY! You is the biggest asshole ever jed....Oh $hiiiit!!

I never see somebody who whole life is about trying to prove to all Trinis that our music and cultures is a hoax.
    Just face the fact....all music coming out of Trinidad is unique.

Where Parang is concern. Geographically, no one could control Trinidad and Tobago being so close to Venezuela but God.
    Geographically, noone could control 2 musical cultures fusing with each other.
    About exclusivity.....Parang is Trinidad and Tobago, parang is not Venezuela. I played parang music for many Venezuelans people and they never heard it before.

The jealousy have to stop my friend.
    Study Kevin Little and his 15 minutes, donít study T&T and we music.
    Thank you
    DUDE, I SUGGEST that you WAKEUP out of your STUPOR and COME again.

The only ASSHOLE here is you who FAILED to see that it was someone else who BROUGHT UP the ARGUMENT that I am now QUESTIONING.

Study Kevin Lyttle and his 15 MINUTES?

It seems like you GUYS STUDIED him for almost 2 YEARS with your UNRELENTING HATERADE for the man or did you CONVENIENTLY have FORGOTTEN?

By the way, NOTICE that you brought up his name again.

Aryo still VEX eh??

Cool yourself and STOP make a DONKEY and a MULE of yourself.
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 12-22-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Credits
    DUDE, I SUGGEST that you WAKEUP out of your STUPOR and COME again.

The only ASSHOLE here is you who FAILED to see that it was someone else who BROUGHT UP the ARGUMENT that I am now QUESTIONING.

Study Kevin Lyttle and his 15 MINUTES?

It seems like you GUYS STUDIED him for almost 2 YEARS with your UNRELENTING HATERADE for the man or did you CONVENIENTLY have FORGOTTEN.

By the way, NOTICE that you brought up his name again.

Aryo still VEX eh??

Cool yourself and STOP make a DONKEY and a MULE of yourself.
    I actually like Kevin Little and I always wish him the best. I lime with the man at his house in Miami. So I should actually take back that statement because I said it in anger.

Anyway, about you now. You need to stop hating on Trinis and just learn to coincide with the diversity of our culture.
    And is you who start talking $hit about we should not get credit for Parang music. Yuh just need to stop.

I apologize about that Kevin statement because he's meh bedrin, so dont bring up his name again.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. SILK
    I actually like Kevin Little and I always wish him the best. I lime with the man at his house in Miami. So I should actually take back that statement because I said it in anger.

Anyway, about you now. You need to stop hating on Trinis and just learn to coincide with the diversity of our culture.
    And is you who start talking $hit about we should not get credit for Parang music. Yuh just need to stop.

I apologize about that Kevin statement because he's meh bedrin, so dont bring up his name again.
    Dude, unlike you, I doh BUY into anything UNLESS that person can SHOW ME what he or she is trying to SELL de I as being CORRECT or is HIGHLY believable.

Again, you have FAILED to ADDRESS the person who brought up the ARGUMENT that I have QUESTIONED, so that is TELLING de I that you're not CONCERN about what the person who has brought the PARANG issue into QUESTION is saying, because you're too EMOTIONALLY PREOCCUPIED with the fact that I QUESTIONED what he has mentioned.

In other words, your POST was LACED with a personal issue with de I, instead of FOCUSING your ATTENTION on what Oto has said.

Are you AFRAID to QUESTION his INSINUATION?????

After all, it is you guys who said that you INVENTED/CREATED Parang. Well, someone, OTO, has given reason to BELIEVE that this is FALSE.

So if you BELIEVE what OTO has said is not true, take him on, MY BROTHA.

Put your KNOWLEDGE of what you know about the HISTORY of PARANG to the TEST. Show us that you REALLY and TRULY have a THOROUGH understanding of the subject....stop acting like a BILLY GOAT; demonstrate to us that you can DEFEND this claim.

Mannnn, U are so THIN SKIN....but I wont badger you any LONGER, because I want you to CONCENTRATE on the person who brought up the issue.....show him that he is TAWKING FART....show him that is TRINI invented/created parang....doh let down TRINI or de I, because I man supporting you 101%.
    Last edited by VINCYPOWA; 12-22-2005 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast