Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Orlando Octave - Keep Ya Body Movin [2014 T&T Groovy Soca] [Charsu Productions]

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiwah View Post
    Listen I think you have been online too damn long and need to go and get some sleep. How dare you make such a statement. When and why is all of the music you are posting happening now? It is because Carnival is seasonal!

One would hope that the artists releasing music now will continue to do so for the rest of the year! Then you can come and make your statement if I was narrow minded enough to make such a statement if the case was reversed. However that is not the case.

Carnival is seasonal and the music released now is all about Carnival... it is hoped that they would vary their lyrical content so that the music will have purpose after the carnival is over. This has nothing to do with the Soca Switch!

Why do you have to over analyse everything? Go and get some rest!
    You are proving my point about the backward seasonal thinking.

There are quite a few quality songs like Orlando's and Nutron's that make no mention of carnival in the lyrics and could be hits in any non-carnival environment. The only thing that is stopping those sorts of soca songs from becoming hits (if they don't get the air play during carnival) is the backward seasonal thinking.

The reason why most soca artists are releasing their songs now in the build-up to carnival is because they know the mentality of most of the Trini radio stations and DJs. It is that if their song don't get enough airplay during the short carnival season and don't become a carnival hit that it is shelved for the rest of the year regardless of how good it is and even if the song focused on a non-carnival topic in the lyrics.
    It is a seriously self-oppressive practice and backward way of thinking due to years of colonial brainwash that has been carried on despite 51 years of so-called Independence and time to free our minds from the colonial brainwash.

What T&T soca artists need to do is to learn how to re-market their music to the radio stations and public post carnival especially if their song was of good quality but got lost in the carnival dust but they all know it’s an uphill battle once carnival is over hence the mad rush to release everything right now.

Once we change our backward mentality then artists will have enough confidence that they would get their deserved radio airplay and support after carnival, to hold back the release of some of their material rather than trying to realise practically everything for carnival as is generally the practice.

However if we look at the most successful soca artists they are releasing music all year even if some of it is geared towards other Caribbean Carnivals. What we need is for soca artists to be releasing stuff all year but with some of the material geared towards other occasions and not just carnival so that there is new soca music coming out all year long dealing with all topics of life just like it happens with all other internationally popular and commercially successful music genres. This is what Calypso did in the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's when it was internationally successful.

The main problem making soca artists think twice about this is whether or not they will get the desired support all year long from their local radio stations who seem to be more keen on pumping the foreign stuff that in many cases is not much better than stuff that the local artists are producing. Colonialism and self cultural and musical oppression is still very alive in T&T but I hope it will end this year with a radical change of mentality by ALL of us including you Santiwah.

I think everyone needs to pay attention to the lyrics in this hit song this year and lets play more local all year long and not just for the carnival.

Mr Famous - Play More Local [Happy Riddim] [2014 T&T Groovy Soca / Promo Video]

Artists also need to help themselves by producing quality songs on a range of topics and not just about wining and jumping in your costume which is tiring and detrimental to the rich calypso tradition of storytelling. They need to go back and listen to the calypso music of the 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's for the lyrical storytelling formula for international success as those older Calypsonians did regularly achieve way more international success than most of these modern Soca artists.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Brand new music video by Orlando Octave for his 2014 groovy single called "Keep Ya Body Moving", directed by Remy. Niceness!!

Orlando Octave - Keep Ya Body Moving [2014 T&T Groovy Soca / Official Music Video]

Video Director: Remy (A Rembunction Production 2013)
    Written, Composed & Produced By Richard "Charsu" Ahong.
    Mastered By FM Studios.
    TRINILI0N likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Lappo View Post
    Did you post this here accidentally? Why did you post this P Square song in this thread?
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree.
    I like the song and will be playing it regularly and I do believe I have a little influence on my radio audience and on what other DJ's play in my neck of the woods.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Vye Negre View Post

Okay, let's be a bit more specific here; By my neck of the woods I mean DJ's who I work with in South London who I regularly hire to play at my South London events and also other DJ's on the radio who I regularly share music with because they want to keep their radio shows fresh and up to date so that the public can get familiar with all the quality new soca releases. This also means if/when I hire them to play at my events we can be confident that their listeners know all the hot new songs and so they will have little excuse not to keep their sets fresh and up to date when they go on to play. One of my pet hates is when DJ's basically repeat the same sets because they never listened to the previous DJ's sets or are just too lazy to make an effort to play something different in their set when there is such a wide range of quality music available for them to select from and play these days.

So I don't have influence over all DJ's in London, just the ones in my neck of the woods who I work with. London is a big city and there are many many DJ's here who will lazily play the same old soca tunes from the late 1990's and early 2000's over and over again and you can almost predict and place bets on what songs they are going to play in their sets. You know that I am not lying here. Well I don't have influence over those which is why I don't hire them unless I am throwing a back in times event.

So by my neck of the woods I simply mean DJ's in London (mainly South London) who I regularly work with.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Very BAD. Im glad they did a video for this !
    Linkage !!!

facebook.com/SoundLion - Friend Me
    soundcloud.com/soundlion - Mixes / Remixes --- Check Me Out

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TRINILI0N View Post
    Very BAD. Im glad they did a video for this !
    Yeah, I think if we do our jobs as Soca loving DJ's then Santiwah will be proven wrong and this video which is pure quality will help in giving this tune the staying appeal beyond Carnival that is deserved for a quality song like it. Great move by Orlando and his team doing a professional video for this song; maybe they read this thread and got upset with Santiwah's negative comments?

Anyway its people like us with the all year soca vision who will help to take Soca music where it deserves to be while others will stay brainwashed in their seasonal thinking which only serves to keep Soca music restricted by a seasonal Carnival straight jacket.

Respect for being one of those who has grown beyond the seasonal soca mentality where carnival is the only focus and living space for the music.

Once again brand new music video by Orlando Octave for his 2014 groovy single called "Keep Ya Body Moving", directed by Remy. Niceness!!

Orlando Octave - Keep Ya Body Moving [2014 T&T Groovy Soca / Official Music Video]

Video Director: Remy (A Rembunction Production 2013)
    Written, Composed & Produced By Richard "Charsu" Ahong.
    Mastered By FM Studios.
    TRINILI0N likes this.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    This keep ya body moving song BAD BAD BAD.....glad to see music going beyond jump wave and misbehave...lyrics and dance music is on its way back....orlando come good here. this song gettin nuff play home...first time i hear it was on the radio home on red...rell pull ups and rewinds.....tuff tuff
    TRINILI0N and Socapro like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12