Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Digga D
  • 2 Post By VINCYPOWA
  • 1 Post By Mr. Friday
  • 3 Post By badfowl

Thread: is it now International Soca Monarch??

Credits

is it now International Soca Monarch??

BY YVETTE BEST | THU, FEBRUARY 23, 2012 - 9:00 AM

THIS YEAR’S PARTY MONARCH will lose out on at least one prize.

Unlike what has obtained since 2008, the winner will not have automatic entry into the International Soca Monarch competition in Trinidad and Tobago.

Since 2008, Khiomal, TC, Blood and Mikey all represented Barbados in one of the biggest shows in Trinidad Carnival.

William Munro, of Caribbean Prestige Foundation, which produces the 20-year-old show, said the most he would do for the soca monarchs from Barbados and throughout the region from here on was allow them a place in the

semi-finals. The competition remains open to any artiste who wants to submit music to be reviewed for a place in the semi-final.

Munro told the DAILY NATION he was not satisfied the regional acts maximized the opportunities to market themselves and their songs on radio and television spots afforded them as finalists.

He also knocked the National Cultural Foundation (NCF) and the various ministries of culture in the region for not sharing the vision and using the opportunities to the fullest.

TT$2m for winner

“When I take them into the finals they are guaranteed nothing less than TT$150 000 and they have the opportunity that they could win up to TT$2 million, but it’s not only the winning. The amount of exposure that they can give the island, I don’t even think the island has the money to do that, because they usually advertise tourism,” he said, adding that the various ministers responsible for culture had never sat with him to talk and understand the vision.

Munro said the different islands also failed to put in the necessary funds to make the presentations spectacular and generate the necessary energy from the crowd.

Both TC and Blood, who represented Barbados in 2010 and 2011 respectively, said it was Munro’s prerogative to run the competition as he chose.

“Everyone has a chance once they are in the semi-finals. How fair? I don’t know. The payday in finals gives you the opportunity to go and put on a decent show for the world to see,” Blood stated.

But he argued it was not worth the investment if outside acts were not automatic finalists.

TC was not of the view automatic entry into the finals improved an artiste’s chance at winning.

Citing Biggie Irie, who did it on his own steam in 2007 in the Groovy Soca segment and remains the only non-Trinidadian to win a soca title there, she said artistes just had to have the ability to get the song over.

Mikey, this year’s representative, said the ability of a non-Trinidadian act to advance from the semi-finals would have a lot to do with the level of airplay, which he said was not up to par at present.

Quality music

“Once the music is played and the people know the music, there is always a great opportunity because Barbados produces a high quality of music,” Mikey reasoned.

Krosfyah lead singer Khiomal was the first to represent Barbados under the previous arrangement in 2009. He said the playing field was not even for non-Trinidadian acts and it would be difficult to get past the semi-finals.

Efforts to reach Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley for a response to Munro’s new position proved futile.

Soca setback -- NationNews Barbados -- Local, Regional and International News -- nationnews.com
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits

Thumbs up

This i pretty much knew, i was listening to most major soca stations as it were during the season and to have a "INTERNATIONAL SOCA MONARCH" it really shouldnt be on the islands because its never gonna be a mutual or fair advantage....Islands that do a SOCA SWITCH are just clearly showing that SOCA is not all year round??? true/false?

I actually feel it should be held in America / Canada because like England we have stations clearly playing SOCA MUSIC 365 days on stations whether its INTERNET RADIO or the traditional FM DIAL. Plus this also would have more non Soca fans being able to go to this prestige competition.

just a thought...
    Wadadlineko and Socapro like this.
    Digga D - Unity Krew (UK)

www.twitter.com/diggasoca
    www.largeradio.com/ every sundays 4pm to 6pm US (8-11pm UK)
    http://calaloo.podOmatic.com
    www.ustream.tv/channel/diggasoca
    www.myspace.com/diggasoca

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Digga D View Post
    I actually feel it should be held in America / Canada because like England we have stations clearly playing SOCA MUSIC 365 days on stations whether its INTERNET RADIO or the traditional FM DIAL. Plus this also would have more non Soca fans being able to go to this prestige competition.

just a thought...
    Good idea but we would need the big companies/sponsors in those big mutual outside countries like Canada/USA/UK to get behind the show!

The question is will they or even the government get behind the ISM show as they do in T&T?
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Wonder if this has anything to do with a member of the HD camp not making it into the finals

Credits
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how SOMETHING SO FUNDAMENTALLY SIMPLE appears to be DIFFICULT for others to GRASP.

There can NEVER EVER BE FAIRPLAY in a COMPETITION that is deemed to be INTERNATIONAL when it is HOSTED by the country that created competition during that country's CULTURAL FESTIVAL.

Moreover, when the JUDGES, the AIRWAVES, the people in attendance and practically everything else are DOMINATED by that same country, how the PHUCK are these OUTSIDERS going to compete on a level playing field against the artists from the host nation?

It is PRACTICALLY an IMPOSSIBILITY for an OUTSIDER to win the TWO MILLION DOLLARS GRAND PRIZE when you have all those obstacles going against him or her.

There is NOTHING INTERNATIONAL about that competition. It is a LOCAL EVENT with a few outsiders there for pappyshow.

YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEEE
    Colors and uran10 like this.

Credits
    [QUOTE=Digga D;4201750]This i pretty much knew, i was listening to most major soca stations as it were during the season and to have a "INTERNATIONAL SOCA MONARCH" it really shouldnt be on the islands because its never gonna be a mutual or fair advantage....Islands that do a SOCA SWITCH are just clearly showing that SOCA is not all year round??? true/false?

That is not going to be feasible in the US, until we start seeing music as a business and develop along those lines. The highlighted suggestion has been tried before in NYC for calypso, calypsonians from all over participated including Germany, but again due to the fact that our music is not on commercial radio stations we are at a disadvantage.

Trying to find a pirate station is ridiculous, you get some stations for two blocks while driving and then it is gone. I don't even waste my time trying to find a Caribbean station on the radio anymore. We need to invest money in the industry for anything to work.

Credits
    [QUOTE=caribarts;4202756]
    Quote Originally Posted by Digga D View Post
    This i pretty much knew, i was listening to most major soca stations as it were during the season and to have a "INTERNATIONAL SOCA MONARCH" it really shouldnt be on the islands because its never gonna be a mutual or fair advantage....Islands that do a SOCA SWITCH are just clearly showing that SOCA is not all year round??? true/false?

That is not going to be feasible in the US, until we start seeing music as a business and develop along those lines. The highlighted suggestion has been tried before in NYC for calypso, calypsonians from all over participated including Germany, but again due to the fact that our music is not on commercial radio stations we are at a disadvantage.

Trying to find a pirate station is ridiculous, you get some stations for two blocks while driving and then it is gone. I don't even waste my time trying to find a Caribbean station on the radio anymore. We need to invest money in the industry for anything to work.
    There used to be a WORLD CALYPSO MONARCH COMPETITION HELD in NEW YORK.

It was SPONSORED by EVERYBODY'S MAGAZINE, I believe.

The FIRST WINNER, if my MEMORY SERVES me CORRECTLY, was WINSTON SOSO.

I brought that up to say that it can be done in NEW YORK or CANADA. All you need is the BACKING of BUSINESS HOUSES.

Credits
    So I guess B-Dos will join up the Caribbean Soca Monarch thing now since they just got dissed from ISM? Who's left Now??? Antigua, Grenada (???), and...
    "Giving up is hard to do
    When you really love someone
    Giving up .... so hard to do
    When you still depend upon
    Her warm and tender touch
    Her kiss and her hug..........her caress
    Oooooh that used to mean so much
    And bring you happiness"

- Donny Hathaway

Credits
    Big round of applause seeing that I would be in Trini next year I might be tempted to hit ah soca monarch seein that everyone would be willin to make an attempt on the night unlike these auto-matic entries dat does just turn up for de appearance fee

From time I've been sayin automatic entry to the semis! Let some other island open up their monarch or creative their own I.S.M...simples
    Socapro likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by VINCYPOWA View Post
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how SOMETHING SO FUNDAMENTALLY SIMPLE appears to be DIFFICULT for others to GRASP.

There can NEVER EVER BE FAIRPLAY in a COMPETITION that is deemed to be INTERNATIONAL when it is HOSTED by the country that created competition during that country's CULTURAL FESTIVAL.

Moreover, when the JUDGES, the AIRWAVES, the people in attendance and practically everything else are DOMINATED by that same country, how the PHUCK are these OUTSIDERS going to compete on a level playing field against the artists from the host nation?

It is PRACTICALLY an IMPOSSIBILITY for an OUTSIDER to win the TWO MILLION DOLLARS GRAND PRIZE when you have all those obstacles going against him or her.

There is NOTHING INTERNATIONAL about that competition. It is a LOCAL EVENT with a few outsiders there for pappyshow.

YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEEE
    Even Rachel Price states on her own Video Blog that it would be a travesty if an outsider came to Trinidad for the ISM competition and takes back home to their island $2 million courtesy of the Trinidad and Tobago government. She stated that Trini government money needs to go to Trini winners of a National Soca Monarch competition.

I agree!!

I believe once each nation produces a National Monarch, those Monarchs should then meet in an International Soca Monarch competition on an island or on the mainland at a non-carnival time of year fully funded equally by participating nations. It would probably be best to keep it in the Caribbean and rotate it from island to island every year. Again, the island that is hosting the event cannot do so during their carnival celebrations.
    Wadadlineko, Colors and uran10 like this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by badfowl View Post
    Even Rachel Price states on her own Video Blog that it would be a travesty if an outsider came to Trinidad for the ISM competition and takes back home to their island $2 million courtesy of the Trinidad and Tobago government. She stated that Trini government money needs to go to Trini winners of a National Soca Monarch competition.

I agree!!

I believe once each nation produces a National Monarch, those Monarchs should then meet in an International Soca Monarch competition on an island or on the mainland at a non-carnival time of year fully funded equally by participating nations. It would probably be best to keep it in the Caribbean and rotate it from island to island every year. Again, the island that is hosting the event cannot do so during their carnival celebrations.

you are ignoring 1 thing

the present I.S.M is a private entity
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    hold on.....each finalist gets 150,000 TTD?!?!?!! thats £15,000!!!! shheeeeett i can see what he saying.