Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Santiwah

Thread: Nailah Blackman - SOKAH (Official Video)

Credits

Thumbs up Nailah Blackman - SOKAH (Official Video)

NICE! She keeps dropping hit songs https://www.facebook.com/SocaTv/posts/1662478680493653

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniReporter View Post

Credits
    Kinda Meh .... I Give It A 5 Outta 10 ...
    Linkage !!!

facebook.com/SoundLion - Friend Me
    https://www.youtube.com/user/li0ns0und - Mixes / Remixes --- Check Me Out

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TRINILI0N View Post
    Kinda Meh .... I Give It A 5 Outta 10 ...
    What does that mean? Does it mean that you don't like the song and it won't be a hit?
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    What does that mean? Does it mean that you don't like the song and it won't be a hit?
    This feels more like a song about pan than about Sokah! I don't think that this is going to be a hit. I am so so regarding the song...
    santiwah@icloud.com

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiwah View Post
    This feels more like a song about pan than about Sokah! I don't think that this is going to be a hit. I am so so regarding the song...
    Based upon the fact that this Nailah track is the fastest growing soca track in YouTube views at the moment with an average of 20K to 25K in YouTube views per day (even surpassing MM's hottest new releases for 2018) and has already gone passed 400,000 YouTube views since its release two & a half weeks ago on 21st Nov 2017, it looks like you have already been proven wrong about this song not going to be a hit.
    It is no longer a question of if this SOKAH track by Nailah is going to be a hit or not but rather about how big a hit it is going to be based upon the observable evidence we can see so far.

Sokah/Soca music has been the sound track of T&T Carnival from ever since Calypso Rose won the T&T road march with "Soca Jam" back in 1978 and as we all know steelpan has also been associated with soca music from since back then in the early days of soca with pan being regularly featured in soca tracks like this track just below by Shorty recorded in 1975 for the 1976 Carnival season.

Lord Shorty - Wo Yo Youi (1975/1976)

Composed by Garfield Blackman;
    Arranged By Lord Shorty, Ed Watson & Earl Rodney;
    Electric Piano & Synthesizer played by Pelham Goddard;
    Steeldrums played by Earl Rodney;
    Recorded at K.H. Studios, Sea Lots, PoS, Trinidad

And here is another soca track this time from Calypso Rose featuring steelpans that was released for the 1977 T&T Carnival season.

Calypso Rose - Action is Tight (1977)

Composed by McCartha Lewis;
    Arranged By Pelham Goddard;
    Accompanied by Charlie's Roots;

And here is yet another soca track featuring steelpans from top 1970's soca band Kalyan that was also released for the 1977 T&T Carnival season. Btw Kalyan was the first soca band from T&T or anywhere else to get signed to a major mainstream record label during the 1970's and who deliberately tried to market the newly invented soca music from T&T to a worldwide mainstream international audience.

Kalyan - Hosannah (1977)

Composed by Andre Tanker;
    Arranged By Tony Silvester & Kalyan;
    Recorded at Thunder Sound, Toronto, Canada;
    Re-Mixed at House of Music, South Orange, New Jersey;
    Mastered at MCA Recording Studios, Univeral City, California.

So in other words because a soca track features steelpan that doesn't automatically mean that the song is only meant to be played by steelbands and cannot be appreciated by wider audiences outside of steeband circles.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    Just heard the news that Phase II Pan Groove will be going with this "SOKAH" tune by Nailah Blackman for Panorama 2018!

Boogsie moving smart as he wants everyone to know his band's panorama tune very well come the finals so they can fully appreciate his arrangement. I think Phase II Pan Groove could be hot favorites to take the Panorama title for 2018 so them other bands better come real good or else licks sharing like when Socapro schooling VP on soca music!

Congrats to Nailah Blackman on having her tune selected by one of the top T&T steelbands for Panorama 2018! I could already picture Nailah on stage at the Panorama Finals waving Phase II's flag. Her grandfather Ras Shorty-I would be proud as he started his career as a steelpan player and arranger even before recording his first calypsos in the early 1960's!
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Based upon the fact that this Nailah track is the fastest growing soca track in YouTube views at the moment with an average of 20K to 25K in YouTube views per day (even surpassing MM's hottest new releases for 2018) and has already gone passed 400,000 YouTube views since its release two & a half weeks ago on 21st Nov 2017, it looks like you have already been proven wrong about this song not going to be a hit.
    It is no longer a question of if this SOKAH track by Nailah is going to be a hit or not but rather about how big a hit it is going to be based upon the observable evidence we can see so far.

Sokah/Soca music has been the sound track of T&T Carnival from ever since Calypso Rose won the T&T road march with "Soca Jam" back in 1978 and as we all know steelpan has also been associated with soca music from since back then in the early days of soca with pan being regularly featured in soca tracks like this track just below by Shorty recorded in 1975 for the 1976 Carnival season.

Lord Shorty - Wo Yo Youi (1975/1976)

Composed by Garfield Blackman;
    Arranged By Lord Shorty, Ed Watson & Earl Rodney;
    Electric Piano & Synthesizer played by Pelham Goddard;
    Steeldrums played by Earl Rodney;

And here is another soca track this time from Calypso Rose featuring steelpans that was released for the 1977 T&T Carnival season.

Calypso Rose - Action is Tight (1977)

Composed by McCartha Lewis;
    Arranged By Pelham Goddard;
    Accompanied by Charlie's Roots;

And here is yet another soca track featuring steelpans from top 1970's soca band Kalyan that was also released for the 1977 T&T Carnival season. Btw Kalyan was the first soca band from T&T or anywhere else to get signed to a major mainstream record label during the 1970's and who deliberately tried to market the newly invented soca music from T&T to a worldwide mainstream international audience.

Kalyan - Hosannah (1977)

Composed by Andre Tanker;
    Arranged By Tony Silvester & Kalyan;
    Recorded at Thunder Sound, Toronto, Canada;
    Re-Mixed at House of Music, South Orange, New Jersey;
    Mastered at MCA Recording Studios, Univeral City, California.

So in other words because a soca track features steelpan that doesn't automatically mean that the song is only meant to be played by steelbands and cannot be appreciated by wider audiences outside of steeband circles.
    You are correct regarding the growing popularity of the song with over half a million views. However, I still don't feel this track. As a matter of fact it feels more like a song written for pan instead about "Sokah" the early years. I will give you this one but it still does not appeal to me.
    Socapro likes this.
    santiwah@icloud.com