Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mohombi Feat. Pitbull & Machel Montano :BUMPY RIDE

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    To your last paragraph what makes a song Soca, more than anything else its the beat! The man who came up with the name and original musical formula for the gene defined the music by its beat and not just by the musical fusion it contained! So just by referring to the music as Soca in the first place you have to go by his definition!
    The only way around Shorty's definition is to call the music some other name and then your current debate might make some sense to people like me who actually understand what Soca really is! The problem is that not many people understand what Soca is and most are confused!

Unfortunately in your confusion you might be in the majority and that is the main problem that has kept Soca from progressing and appealing to the widest possible audience as it was originally designed to do!!

Very few of the early Soca hits were on the topic of Carnival but instead were focused on international topics of interest that anyone anywhere can relate to!
    Ask yourself why was that and you will understand why Soca has currently lost its way and is suffering from a seasonal love affair by most who claim to love it!

Cool but a lot of the "Soca" songs that come out now do not have the same beat so technically they should not be called soca but they are simply by vertue of the fact that they were released for Carnival.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    Cool but a lot of the "Soca" songs that come out now do not have the same beat so technically they should not be called soca but they are simply by vertue of the fact that they were released for Carnival.
    Yuh now starting to make sense to me! We could agree on that!!
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    Does the music referred to as "Soca" have that specific beat? The reality is that in a very real way soca = Carnival music.

Take Kevin Lyttle's Turn Me On, it is considered "Soca" because it was released for Carnival. I will get a lot of disagreement here but I am 100% sure that exact same song came out in October it would have been seen as a Dancehall, RnB or Pop song.

I am not disrespecting soca just stating a fact, in this current era a song is "Soca" primarily" because the song came out for Carnival/Crop Over.
    So ah have tuh look for another genre name for meh Baron Christmas album which I always thought was straight soca.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by dedetriniking View Post
    So ah have tuh look for another genre name for meh Baron Christmas album which I always thought was straight soca.

Like it looks so according to Warrior but doh worry I think I am gradually bringing him round to what Soca is!
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12