Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Machel Montano aka Monk Monte coins new term "Power Groovy" to describe his hit song!

Credits

Thumbs up Machel Montano aka Monk Monte coins new term "Power Groovy" to describe his hit song!

Machel ‘100% ready’
    Coins new phrase "Power Groovy" to describe his hit song "Like A Boss"

By Essiba Small essiba.small@trinidadexpress.com
    Story Created: Feb 5, 2015 at 9:21 PM ECT

Reigning Power Soca Monarch Machel Montano aka Monk Monte "Like A Boss"

One hundred per cent prepared!

That’s how reigning Power Soca Monarch Machel Monk Montae Montano described his readiness for the finals of the International Soca Monarch competition scheduled for February 13.

Montano was among the finalists present at the Hyatt Regency Hotel for the draw of places at the competition.

He is expected to perform his popular “Like a Boss” in position number nine.

Having released 12 songs for the season, so far, Montano said the love his fans have for “Like a Boss” made it an obvious choice for the competition.

“I have a song with Patrice Roberts called “Great Parade” that will do well on the road, but the public has embraced “Like a Boss” in an omnipresent kind of way.”

Montano described the song as a "power groovy" and said that soca music is currently going in different ways to satisfy the soul of the public.

“The music is searching for a new home,” he said.

KI, second place winner at the recent Chutney Soca Monarch, was also present for the draw and was excited about what will be his first power soca competition.

“Power soca is one of my favourite genres,” he said.

“I always sing power soca at concerts. I just decided this year that it’s about time to put one out.

“The response to “Flags” has been awesome.”

KI will sing in position number three.’

The following is the order of appearance for the Digicel Groovy Soca Monarch and the Lotto Plus Power Soca Monarch.

Lotto Plus Power Soca Monarch order of appearance

1. Shurwayne Winchester - "Touch De Ground"

2. Squeezy Head (Grenada) & Shal Marshall - "Turbo Charge"

3. K.I. - "Flags"

4. Patrice Roberts - "Trouble"

5. Mr. Killa (Grenada) - "Panty Dropper"

6. Granny - "Go Granny"

7. Snakey - "Cyah Rhyme"

8. Iwer "King" George - "Play D Mas"

9. Machel "Monk Monte" Montano (Defending Champion) - "Like A Boss"

10. Blaxx - "Maddest Crew"

11. Kernal "Kitch" Roberts - "Excitement"

Digicel Groovy Soca Monarch order of appearance

Digicel Wild Card pick (to be determined by fans. Results of winner to be released next week)

1. Chow Chow - "Saga Boy"

2. Erphann Alves - "Tanty"

3. Chucky - "Personality"

4. Blaxx - "Place In Life"

5. Skinny Fabulous (SVG) - "Going Off"

6. Destra - "Lucy"

7. Nadia Batson - "Sun Come Up" or "Cooler Fete"

8. Farmer Nappy - "My House"

9. Ricardo Drue (Antigua/T&T) - "Vagabond"

10. Benjai - "Phenominal"

11. Lyrikal - "Cloud 9"

12. Saddis and Leadpipe (Barbados) - "Ah Feeling"

13. Fadda Fox (Barbados) - "Ducking"

14. Olatunji - "Ola"
    BacchanalDiva likes this.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    I think Machel came up with a good trendy term "Power Groovy" as it accurately describes the speed and vibe of his mid-tempo hit track "Like A Boss".

Good job by Machel coming up with this new trendy term "Power Groovy" as it gives you a good idea about the speed and vibe of these sort of mid-tempo tracks that are the not too fast and not too slow but just the ideal speed for the road and attractive to folks of all age groups.

Could this spell the end of true power soca dominating the road march race in T&T?

It remains to be seen, let’s see what happens on the road on Carnival Monday and Tuesday...
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    I think Machel came up with a good trendy term "Power Groovy" as it accurately describes the speed and vibe of his mid-tempo hit track "Like A Boss".

Good job by Machel coming up with this new trendy term "Power Groovy" as it gives you a good idea about the speed and vibe of these sort of mid-tempo tracks that are the not too fast and not too slow but just the ideal speed for the road and attractive to folks of all age groups.

Could this spell the end of true power soca dominating the road march race in T&T?

It remains to be seen, letís see what happens on the road on Carnival Monday and Tuesday...
    bull!shit!ery

Machel could call sh!t sugar and u will agree

u big clown
    GREATNESS IS ALL I KNOW

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGGERIFIC View Post
    bull!shit!ery

Machel could call sh!t sugar and u will agree

u big clown
    Machel described his song "Like A Boss" as a "Power Groovy" at the drawing of positions yesterday in justifying that he is going to perform it at the Power Soca Monarch Finals on Fantastic Friday.

My argument all along has been that "Like A Boss" is not a true power soca and Machel confirmed it yesterday by describing it as a "power groovy".

I personally think that it’s a good term to use to describe these mid-tempo soca tunes with a power soca vibe that are not truly power soca based upon the bpm of the studio recording.

So what exactly is BS, Machel's song or his description of the speed of the song?!

I think it is a good description and maybe I should have thought of it myself before Machel used it.
    Machel's birthday is one day before mines so I think in certain regards we think alike but that does not mean that I am in love with Machel so you should not judge others based on your own puffy "man-loving" standards.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Machel described his song "Like A Boss" as a "Power Groovy" at the drawing of positions yesterday in justifying that he is going to perform it at the Power Soca Monarch Finals on Fantastic Friday.

My argument all along has been that "Like A Boss" is not a true power soca and Machel confirmed it yesterday by describing it as a "power groovy".

I personally think that itís a good term to use to describe these mid-tempo soca tunes with a power soca vibe that are not truly power soca based upon the bpm of the studio recording.

So what exactly is BS, Machel's song or his description of the speed of the song?!

I think it is a good description and maybe I should have thought of it myself before Machel used it.
    Machel's birthday is one day before mines so I think in certain regards we think alike but that does not mean that I am in love with Machel so you should not judge others based on your own puffy "man-loving" standards.
    You never cease to amaze boy, lmao - u realise that someone who thinks like Machel... would acheive his level of greatness! u deluded man!

Carib2 likes this.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Vye Negre View Post
    You never cease to amaze boy, lmao - u realise that someone who thinks like Machel... would acheive his level of greatness! u deluded man!

Everyone is great in their own way. I don't feel inferior to Machel but I can understand why you do as you are obviously a very insecure person who hasn't achieved much in life.

You can continue laughing at your own failures in life and believing that everyone one else feels like yourself but I would advise you to stop projecting!
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Everyone is great in their own way. I don't feel inferior to Machel but I can understand why you do as you are obviously a very insecure person who hasn't achieved much in life.

You can continue laughing at your own failures in life and believing that everyone one else feels like yourself but I would advise you to stop projecting!
    Wha happen u doin yoga? Or you smokkin some good weed dem season??? I find you calm - usually you would have fall for the bait and write a ten page essay by now! You getting ole or wha?

Credits
    Wha happen u doin yoga? Or you smokkin some good weed dem season??? I find you calm - usually you would have fall for the bait and write a ten page essay by now! You getting ole or wha?
    As I said stop projecting.
    No one can put me down so you should stop with your obssession as you are doomed to failure.
    Why not concentrate on making your life better and more successful and you won't need to be worrying about other man so much?
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    As I said stop projecting.
    No one can put me down so you should stop with your obssession as you are doomed to failure.
    Why not concentrate on making your life better and more successful and you won't need to be worrying about other man so much?
    I come on here to be entertained among other things... and you have proven yourself to be one of the top entertainers here so dont blame me for trying to enjoy some of your signature entertainment! lol

Not trying to put you down, dunno how u gathered that, just trying to bait you into doing wht you do best... talkin sh!t as I find your sh!t talk very entertaining!
    Carib2 likes this.

Credits
    I come on here to be entertained among other things... and you have proven yourself to be one of the top entertainers here so dont blame me for trying to enjoy some of your signature entertainment! lol

Not trying to put you down, dunno how u gathered that, just trying to bait you into doing wht you do best... talkin sh!t as I find your sh!t talk very entertaining!
    And I'm laughing my head off!!

Power groovy sounds dumb but it does make sense calling Like ah Boss power groovy.

Credits

Like me asking for an early WCK bouyon recording that does not include Rah Peters?!

I see? How can a simple request be classed as shit talk?

In fact answering my request will prove that you are not the one spewing exactly what you try to accuse me of.

You seem to have a bad habit of projecting.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Like me asking for an early WCK bouyon recording that does not include Rah Peters?!

I see? How can a simple request be classed as shit talk?

In fact answering my request will prove that you are not one spewing exactly what you try to accuse me of.

You seem to have a bad habit of projecting!
    You seem to have learned a new word!

Credits
    You seem to have learned a new word!
    Maybe I have, are you jealous? At least the word seems to apply in your case.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Carib2 View Post
    And I'm laughing my head off!!

Power groovy sounds dumb but it does make sense calling Like ah Boss power groovy.
    Not as dumb as this recent statement from yourself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carib2 View Post
    To me soca only started sounding like soca around the late 80s/early 90s
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Maybe I have, are you jealous? At least the word seems to apply in your case.
    Only one word applies to me here:

Bait - something that is said or offered to people in order to make them react in a particular way:

seems to be working, not as good and entertaining as I had hoped but...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast