Thread: Kernel Roberts Speaks

Credits

Kernel Roberts Speaks

In the footsteps of the 'Grandmaster'
    Hayden Mills
    Sunday, March 5th 2006
    T'dad Express

2006 Road March composer, Kernel Roberts, proudly stands next to the portrait of his father, legendary calypsonian Lord Kitchener, at his "Rain O Rama Palace" home, Diego Martin. "Rainorama" was the title of one of Kitchener's ten great road marches which means that Kernel has some nine more to go. His perennial humming, just like his father, is sure to help him in this regard. "This one was actually for daddy. He premeditated this one." So said soca composer Kernel Roberts to the Sunday Express yesterday.

Roberts penned this year's Road March hit "Band of the Year" and made it clear it was to continue the "legacy" of his father, the calypso legend Aldwyn Roberts, known to all as Lord Kitchener, the composer of ten Road March titles. "Band of the Year" by soca starlet Patrice Roberts (no relation to the Kitchener clan) and soca superstar Machel Montano rocked the radio airways, fueled the fetes and parties this Carnival season and ultimately grabbed the coveted Road March title.

Clad in his father's trademark fedora (hat) and sitting in the balcony of the Rain O Rama Palace (the home-museum of Lord Kitchener) on the Diego Martin Main Road, Roberts interrupted his late-morning's rest after a hectic week and spoke about his tribute to his father. "This year would have been the last year to cross the Savannah stage. "My father won the title (many times) right there.

"If I didn't extend the legacy in the Savannah it wouldn't have had the same sentiment. "This one will make it eleven. Eleven times Road March for Lord Kitchener. "This one was really, important, really important," Roberts said. His answer to how he felt was obviously expressed when he responded: "I feeling ecstatic, real good. Excellent feeling. For real." He reminisced his musical times with his father: "I used to watch when he had all the calypsonians over. "He always composing. Always with his guitar.

"He was always humming while driving. Nine out of ten times the radio woud l be off and he'd be humming, while driving. "Just by himself, humming real slight and airy (Roberts holds on to an imaginary steering wheel and imitates his father's humming). "(One) wouldn't have understood what he was singing because it was only a small piece of the actual magic that was mixing around in his head. "And in the end when you heard the final product it made perfect sense, so much sense. "He always had music in his head." He continued: "Now I have the same problem (speaking with more elation). I catch myself humming at times.

"But what can we do. We (the Robertses) sick on music." "Being the son of Lord Kitchener I am obligated to carry on his thing, his legacy, " Roberts said. "If I don't do that it will die. "You see how it is in Trinidad and Tobago we tend to forget we culture." Roberts, one of four siblings, said he would do anything he could to push his children if they wanted to get into the music business. He was speaking about his daughters Kernicia, "the singer", and D'andria, "the dancer and sportswoman", both of whom are four years old, and his three-month-old son Kerwin. Roberts thanked God profusely for the success. "God really tell me I would have won," he said. "I asked him to put the right song in my mind.

"A lot of people try to cook (music) like me," Roberts said. "They may have the ingredients but they not using the correct proportions," he continued. And he ventured to say what the ingredients were: "Melody, good lyrics, good story line or topic, lyrics compatible to the melody and must be sing-a-longish for the masqueraders and feters. "Once you have that, you mix them up in the right proportion in the pot, then you have it." As for the controversy that he sampled Enya's "Caribbean Blue", he maintained that he did not. He asked God to give him the perfect topic, Roberts said. It took him six months to compose the song sensation, from August last year to January. And he said it he "worked the song well" under pressure, as is the best circumstance for him, with Montano jacking him up on one side and Patrice breathing down his neck on the other.

Composing "Band of the Year" was like a "middle class man building his house" because it happened in stages. He said he had put together the melody first and scrapped it a couple times, then he played around with the story and scrapped that a couple of times and then formed the lyrics until it all meshed. He recalled his experience of playing on the truck for years and said that was like playing mas since at times he would jump off the truck, go down the road and "play mas and get on bad". All that experience influenced the song, Roberts said. An apparently humble Roberts thanked those who impacted his career, especially his eight years with Traffik, who, he said, "groomed' him. He wrote for Destra in the beginning and in 2001 her "Tremble It" placed third and in 2003 she jumped to second with his "It's Carnival".

The following year his "Bonnie and Clyde" by her came in second again. He has moved on, he said, and now is the musical director with Machel and Xtatik. Working with Xtatik is a lot of work, Roberts said. Montano is a perfectionist and Roberts admitted he was one as well. He said he was extremely proud of upcoming star Patrice Roberts, 20.
    Despite all the obstacles, he explained, which would have made most people quit, Patrice gave it "her all" and "never gave up", Roberts said. She will be big, he added. As for the future, Roberts said he is going for "international recognition" and he added, "God tell me that coming already. We going to make it happen." He called names like Jay-Z and 50 Cent and said they were aiming to "make it there". The music will have heavy rotation on BET 106 and Park, MTV, MTV2, VH1 and Tempo. As for the Road March, it is a really good title he said, which every local artist aspires to. With that he returned to resting before going down the Islands to meet again with Machel and the gang.

Credits
    My only comment....
    Kernicia?????????????????????

Credits
    Very nice
    Those Who Sacrifice Freedom for Security Deserve Neither
    www.cookingwithval.com
    http://www.snackhealthy.com/snackwithval
    @cookingwithval
    @NicaBlack

Credits
    I remember meeting Mr. Roberts in 2001 when I hosted the Traffik concert. I could have taken a picture with Eddie, Sean or Sherwin but I opted a photo with Kernel, the son of Calypso.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    My only comment....
    That's what I'm sayin, lol.......*dies*

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy J
    I remember meeting Mr. Roberts in 2001 when I hosted the Traffik concert. I could have taken a picture with Eddie, Sean or Sherwin but I opted a photo with Kernel, the son of Calypso.
    Show we the picture nah

vincy_socababy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinababy
    My only comment....

dais what i saying

Credits
    all you doh laugh nah she is ah sweet sweet little girl .....