Thread: Jab Jab Crew

Credits

Jab Jab Crew

AYO IM NOT TRYIN TO DISRESPECT NO TRINIS OUT THERE ,BECAUSE I LUV ALLYA ...BUT WHAT DE HELL ALLYA KNOW ABOUT PLAYIN JAB JAB WIT OLE OIL AN TING .AND ALL DIS TALK ABOUT POWDER POSSE..WHAT DE HELL IS THAT...ALL OF A SUDDEN I HEARIN MR.MACHEAL TALKIN ABOUT ''LET ME SEE DE POWDER POSSE''AND ''LET ME SEE DE JAB JAB POSSE''.I THINK THAT IS SOMETHING ALLYA SHOULD LEAVE TO DE REAL JAB JAB AND POWDER POSSE.....DE ORIGINAL SPICE ISLAND JAB JAB.

ALL DE GRENADIANS...BIG UP ALLYA SELF

Credits

Credits
    well you likely to have someone say why Grenadians bother doing soca...but this will be a fun topic to watch.

Credits

Re: Jab Jab Crew

Originally posted by sPICE tING
    AYO IM NOT TRYIN TO DISRESPECT NO TRINIS OUT THERE ,BECAUSE I LUV ALLYA ...BUT WHAT DE HELL ALLYA KNOW ABOUT PLAYIN JAB JAB WIT OLE OIL AN TING .AND ALL DIS TALK ABOUT POWDER POSSE..WHAT DE HELL IS THAT...ALL OF A SUDDEN I HEARIN MR.MACHEAL TALKIN ABOUT ''LET ME SEE DE POWDER POSSE''AND ''LET ME SEE DE JAB JAB POSSE''.I THINK THAT IS SOMETHING ALLYA SHOULD LEAVE TO DE REAL JAB JAB AND POWDER POSSE.....DE ORIGINAL SPICE ISLAND JAB JAB.

And the reason for your post is what?

Oil and Powder, not to mention paint have been a part of Jouvert in Trinidad for years. As far as "Jab Jab" is concerned...I'm pretty sure that tune doesn't play in Trinidad alone, hence the term being used to relate to its Kayak and Grenadian listeners. Soca music is enjoyed throught the world
    Dais just meh 2 cents eh.

Righto.

Credits
    this is not a matter of disrespect. it's a matter of 'huh?'

"ALL OF A SUDDEN I HEARIN MR.MACHEAL TALKIN ABOUT ''LET ME SEE DE POWDER POSSE''AND ''LET ME SEE DE JAB JAB POSSE''.

from my learning, i understood the Jab Jab originated in Grenada and spread throughout the caribbean as well as ole time common characters in carnival. 2day it's still 1 of the most admired and celebrated figures in the caribbean and abroad during carnival time. (i luv jab jab mas myself the best).

and if all of a sudden it's only now u hearin machel talkin about 'Jab Jab' or 'Powder Posse'......again.....huh? Roaring Lion was recording about the jab jab, tamboo bamboo and all the other mas figures since the 20's and 30's along w/ a host of other calypsonians. even b4 recordings or ppl labelled as calypsonians, chauntelle's would sing/chant about the devil, jab molassi and so on.......

'THINK THAT IS SOMETHING ALLYA SHOULD LEAVE TO DE REAL JAB JAB AND POWDER POSSE.....DE ORIGINAL SPICE ISLAND JAB JAB'

yeh. and the steel pan should of stayed in trinidad. i gonna cuss Alison for singing a pan tune cuz bajans know nothing of it. n e how this ah next bacchanal post and i fell 4 it on-purpose, but instead of the back-n-4th banter, education is key.

4 every1, here is a link that xplains very briefly the history of the Jab Jab in Grenada.

http://www.bigdrumnation.org/jabjabluv.htm

the information is similar to what i've read in a few articles in the past about the origins of the Jab Jab. when i find more i'll share.

salty

Credits

Re: Jab Jab Crew

Originally posted by sPICE tING

I ALWAYS KNEW JAB JAB WAS AN GRENADIAN TING! BUT I BELIEVE ITS A COMPLEMENT THAT NOW TRINIS DOING IT TOO! SH@t I WISH ANTIGUANS WOULD DO IT TOO!

Credits
    DAT IS A FUNNY STATMENT,

WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO, CARNIVAL, STEELE PAN, CALYPSO,SOCA. ALL ORIGINATED IN NO OTHER PLACE BUT DE SWEET SWEET T-N-T. NUFF SAID.

IS DE OIL IN DE COAL

RUMMY DAT WAS FUNNY
    Marcus Garvey said you would not know yourself till your back is against the wall. It gone through the wall now.

Credits
    Now hearing about jab jab from Trinis? Sorry but check out an old tune by Super called "Jab Jab". A wicked wicked tune even when I listen to it at present. Jab Jab is not a new ting in Trini, so why de hell you now bringing this up? Back date your post about 15 years back and then MAYBE we might be able to have this discussion.

Dawtah of the Sun Empressdududahlin's Avatar Empressdududahlin is offline
    Credits

THIS JAB JAB PRINCESS SAYS AYE!!! lol...

Well, I have to raise mi hand for this statement:
    "ALL DE GRENADIANS...BIG UP ALLYA SELF"... but like many things in the Caribbean with Carnival we have all adopted something from most islands, NO? Also Trinidadians must know something about JABJAB, because this is an island that some Trinis can say that their parents or their grandparents orignated from Grenada and I doubt they left that wonderful display of Jouvert behind! As a matter of fact most islands have something like the JAB JAB Devil figure.... HELLO slaves in the Caribbean came FROM AFRICA. Where do you think Moko Jumbi comes from, take a look into the history of African Carnivals! BUT, You can always tell the difference of a GRENDIAN JABJAB BAND, NO BEHAVIOR, JUST DE WAY I LIKE IT, OIL, TAR, YOU NAME IT, I IN IT!!! lol... We're not known for pretty mas, I tip my cap to TnT fuh dat, but we do still uphold the ole mas that makes MY COUNTRY, YOUR COUNTRY, OUR COUNTRY SWEET!

Brief History:
    The Carnival Festival celebrates emancipation and brings artistry, music, dance and food together in ten days of vibrant festivity. Colourful costumes, pageants, talent shows are just some of the attractions. Carnival comes from the Latin carnelevare, which means "farewell to meat". Medieval Romans and Frenchmen started the tradition by gorging themselves on meat and merriment the day before Lent imposed strict fasting. The festive, quasi-religious tradition travelled to the Caribbean in the 17th century via the French aristocracy who threw magnificent masked balls at their plantations between New Year’s Day and Lent. The slaves began mimicking and parodying their elaborate dress and courtly manners. The clothes was fashioned with what ever came to hand; taffeta and chiffon became coarse cloth and rags, and that is how "Ole Mas" came into being.
    Ole Mas is seen by many as a symbolic gesture of recognising all that is dirty, evil and rotten in society and therefore needs to be eradicated. This lead to the "jab jab molassie" mas where devil workers coated themselves in molasses and threatened to rub against anybody who did not give them money. Their costumes have pointed tails, metal helmets with horns and they carry three pronged spears or chains

Also check this link!
    http://employees.oneonta.edu/hilldr/1971cc.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jab Jab Crew-jab.jpg  
    Last edited by Empressdududahlin; 02-16-2004 at 02:46 AM.

Credits

Shortnee and Powder!

As for the powder:
    I doh know exactly where the Powder Posse orignated for Trinidadians in carnival, BUT the powder which most Grenadians are known for orignate from a mas called Shortnee in Grenada/Carr./P.M....
    Check this link:http://employees.oneonta.edu/hilldr/video

Here's a pic of a shortnee!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jab Jab Crew-shortnee.jpg  

Credits
    "GIVE THE JAB Ah PENNY TO BUY Ah BREAD!"- wha de jabjab recites

Even a Spanish website on JABJAB!! PAPA YO! :

http://www.jabjab.com/espanol/museum/jab.htm

Credits
    Jouvert Carnival - the dirty mas - goes back to the days of slavery, when slaves burned down the fields to fight against their master.. It became a ceremony when the slavery ended (I think summer 1842) and moved to pre-lenden time after a few years to celebrate an "african" counterpart to the european carnival.

There are many documents about carnival history in the net, just use a search engine..
    Faluma.com - soca & caribbean label/distribution

Credits
    lolz....thiz topic iz funny...lolz

i dun c no indianz playin jab jab, so i cant comment...lolz

Credits
    WOW!!!!

Credits

Re: THIS JAB JAB PRINCESS SAYS AYE!!! lol...

Originally posted by EmpressRevolution
    Well, I have to raise mi hand for this statement:
    "ALL DE GRENADIANS...BIG UP ALLYA SELF"... but like many things in the Caribbean with Carnival we have all adopted something from most islands, NO? Also Trinidadians must know something about JABJAB, because this is an island that some Trinis can say that their parents or their grandparents orignated from Grenada and I doubt they left that wonderful display of Jouvert behind! As a matter of fact most islands have something like the JAB JAB Devil figure.... HELLO slaves in the Caribbean came FROM AFRICA. Where do you think Moko Jumbi comes from, take a look into the history of African Carnivals! BUT, You can always tell the difference of a GRENDIAN JABJAB BAND, NO BEHAVIOR, JUST DE WAY I LIKE IT, OIL, TAR, YOU NAME IT, I IN IT!!! lol... We're not known for pretty mas, I tip my cap to TnT fuh dat, but we do still uphold the ole mas that makes MY COUNTRY, YOUR COUNTRY, OUR COUNTRY SWEET!

Brief History:
    The Carnival Festival celebrates emancipation and brings artistry, music, dance and food together in ten days of vibrant festivity. Colourful costumes, pageants, talent shows are just some of the attractions. Carnival comes from the Latin carnelevare, which means "farewell to meat". Medieval Romans and Frenchmen started the tradition by gorging themselves on meat and merriment the day before Lent imposed strict fasting. The festive, quasi-religious tradition travelled to the Caribbean in the 17th century via the French aristocracy who threw magnificent masked balls at their plantations between New Year’s Day and Lent. The slaves began mimicking and parodying their elaborate dress and courtly manners. The clothes was fashioned with what ever came to hand; taffeta and chiffon became coarse cloth and rags, and that is how "Ole Mas" came into being.
    Ole Mas is seen by many as a symbolic gesture of recognising all that is dirty, evil and rotten in society and therefore needs to be eradicated. This lead to the "jab jab molassie" mas where devil workers coated themselves in molasses and threatened to rub against anybody who did not give them money. Their costumes have pointed tails, metal helmets with horns and they carry three pronged spears or chains

Also check this link!
    http://employees.oneonta.edu/hilldr/1971cc.htm
    WELL SAID