Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Guyanese Soca mix

  1. #1
    Registered User Seawall's Avatar Seawall is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    3,951
    Credits
    5,282,089

    Guyanese Soca mix

    Not so impressed by the soca. Guyanese artists have been mirroring the lame jump up soca that has been coming out of T&T instead of creating their own sound. The chutney is much more interesting.



    The Official Blog of Afropop Worldwide: Guyanese Soca Madness from 2HOPE2HYPE

    Rainstick & Veggie Man are two dudes who used to host a global radio program on East Village Radio called Cool Places in NYC. The show spun a feverish array of various and obsure styles rarely heard elsewhere. Since the show ended, the two now make up a duo called 2HOPE2HYPE that would have been keeping busy spinning at NYC parties and running this crazy, psychedelic tumblr.

    Now, thanks to a Ghetto Bassquake, 2HOPE2HYPE dropped a deep mix of Soca madness from Guyana and beyond. Perfect timing as a prelude to the end of Summer. Get your sweat in! FREE music, y'all!

    Download: 2HOPE2HYPE - Soca-ing Crazy Mix HERE
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

  2. #2
    UK™ (CEO) Digga D's Avatar Digga D is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Around Da Way..
    Posts
    7,969
    Credits
    817,198
    DOWNLOAD HERE FOR THE MIX JUS MENTIONED.

    #TeamSoca

    ps: i will look forward for listenin to it Seawall
    Digga D - Unity Krew (UK)

    www.twitter.com/diggasoca
    www.largeradio.com/ every sundays 4pm to 6pm US (8-11pm UK)
    http://calaloo.podOmatic.com
    www.ustream.tv/channel/diggasoca
    www.myspace.com/diggasoca

  3. #3
    Banned Daddy V. is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    nuh watch dat
    Posts
    1,700
    Credits
    531,722
    nice

  4. #4
    Registered User Jaymaca is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The greatest city in the world come 2012!!
    Posts
    2,152
    Credits
    32,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    Not so impressed by the soca. Guyanese artists have been mirroring the lame jump up soca that has been coming out of T&T instead of creating their own sound. The chutney is much more interesting.



    The Official Blog of Afropop Worldwide: Guyanese Soca Madness from 2HOPE2HYPE

    Rainstick & Veggie Man are two dudes who used to host a global radio program on East Village Radio called Cool Places in NYC. The show spun a feverish array of various and obsure styles rarely heard elsewhere. Since the show ended, the two now make up a duo called 2HOPE2HYPE that would have been keeping busy spinning at NYC parties and running this crazy, psychedelic tumblr.

    Now, thanks to a Ghetto Bassquake, 2HOPE2HYPE dropped a deep mix of Soca madness from Guyana and beyond. Perfect timing as a prelude to the end of Summer. Get your sweat in! FREE music, y'all!

    Download: 2HOPE2HYPE - Soca-ing Crazy Mix HERE
    Chutney music is a Trinidadian thing as well isnt it? I would like to hear indigenous Guyanese music probably mixed with some Soca - that would be sweet

  5. #5
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    15,718
    Credits
    76,901,034
    maybe Guyana is 4-5 years behind because TNT is doing less jump up soca and more Groovy.

  6. #6
    Registered User Seawall's Avatar Seawall is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    3,951
    Credits
    5,282,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymaca View Post
    Chutney music is a Trinidadian thing as well isnt it? I would like to hear indigenous Guyanese music probably mixed with some Soca - that would be sweet
    Actually, chutney was started in Suriname. And all 3 countries (GT, T&T, Suriname) contributed to the genre.
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

  7. #7
    100 % Ayisien-0% yankee haitianprince's Avatar haitianprince is offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn.Flatbush"11226" –Kings county Borough (home to the largest Islanders,west-Indian, Caribbean community living aboard from home)state of statue of liberty,movein to Europe OCT '12
    Posts
    4,069
    Credits
    529,229
    They need more G.t. Soca artist in the soca industry.....the g.t. Soca artist I've heard of is X2 with that song tic toc feautring Gillo
    I would like to Thank all the fake haitians, who came out during the west-indian parade, but who has no roots to Haiti island ,and no haitian accent !!!!!!
    Thanks again see you phony people next year !!!!!!! ,2013.


    (Ayisien,we going to build it nice after the earthq"ke,R.i.p)

    I'm on canal street buying me a Louie belt with my creole Beyonce',B.Gumbal,Lil Fizz ....dont get it twisted haters canal st in new orleans at saks not ny where them fake louie sells

  8. #8
    UK™ (CEO) Digga D's Avatar Digga D is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Around Da Way..
    Posts
    7,969
    Credits
    817,198
    Quote Originally Posted by haitianprince View Post
    They need more G.t. Soca artist in the soca industry.....the g.t. Soca artist I've heard of is X2 with that song tic toc feautring Gillo
    is that all you know?? in terms of them cos i know u dont follow the soca too tuff
    Digga D - Unity Krew (UK)

    www.twitter.com/diggasoca
    www.largeradio.com/ every sundays 4pm to 6pm US (8-11pm UK)
    http://calaloo.podOmatic.com
    www.ustream.tv/channel/diggasoca
    www.myspace.com/diggasoca

  9. #9
    Norman SWAGGERIFIC is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NEW YORK
    Posts
    15,718
    Credits
    76,901,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    Actually, chutney was started in Suriname. And all 3 countries (GT, T&T, Suriname) contributed to the genre.
    doh study this clown eh, Chutney started in Trinidad...Only on IMIX eh, first they say Calypso started in Africa, Soca started in St. Vincent and now Chutney started in Suriname....I even heard steelpan started in Barbados! oh meh lawd.

  10. #10
    UK™ (CEO) Digga D's Avatar Digga D is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Around Da Way..
    Posts
    7,969
    Credits
    817,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    doh study this clown eh, Chutney started in Trinidad...Only on IMIX eh, first they say Calypso started in Africa, Soca started in St. Vincent and now Chutney started in Suriname....I even heard steelpan started in Barbados! oh meh lawd.
    And Iz Dat haha
    Digga D - Unity Krew (UK)

    www.twitter.com/diggasoca
    www.largeradio.com/ every sundays 4pm to 6pm US (8-11pm UK)
    http://calaloo.podOmatic.com
    www.ustream.tv/channel/diggasoca
    www.myspace.com/diggasoca

  11. #11
    Registered User Seawall's Avatar Seawall is offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    3,951
    Credits
    5,282,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Mystery View Post
    doh study this clown eh, Chutney started in Trinidad...Only on IMIX eh, first they say Calypso started in Africa, Soca started in St. Vincent and now Chutney started in Suriname....I even heard steelpan started in Barbados! oh meh lawd.
    This idiot obviously don't know the history of the music. The Ramdeo Chaitoe of Suriname paved the was for Popo in Trinidad and Nisha Benjamin in Guyana.

    "Prelude To Chutney

    In 1958, East Indian music finally made its debut on the recording industry with the release of an album of devotional songs, by Ramdeo Chaitoe of Suriname. His album titled, King of Suriname was quite appropriately named, as it made him a household name with East Indians not just in Suriname, but throughout the Caribbean.
    Although his songs were religious in nature, the use of the strong beats of the dhantal and dholak, coupled with his own creolised version of Hindi often had many listeners dancing as if it were a pop song. In fact, one song, "Raat Ke Sapna," would go on to become a huge dance hit in the decades to follow.

    Although the release of King of Suriname presented a breakthrough for East Indian music, it was quite short lived, as few artists managed to succeed Chaitoe in the years to follow. It was not until the 1960’s that another Surinamese would catapult East Indian music onto the scene once again. In 1968, a woman by the name of Dropati debuted with an album of traditional wedding songs, titled, Lets Sing & Dance. Once again, although religious in nature, Dropati's songs, much like those of Ramdeo Chaitoe, went on to become huge pop hits within the East Indian community. Dropati's epic songs such as "Gowri Pooja" and "Lawa" became such big hits that they firmly secured her name in history as one of the pillars of Indo-Caribbean music (Dropati, 1993). Lets Sing & Dance along with King of Suriname remain two of the best selling East Indian albums of all time, even to this day (Chaitoe, 1993). The effects of the release of these two albums were tremendous. Not only did they prove East Indian music as a legitimate art form, but they also united the East Indians of the Caribbean regardless of whether they were Guyanese, Trinidadian, Jamaican or Surinamese. However, these two albums also showed the need for a more popular, non-religious form of East Indian music, one that would combine the high pitched dholak, dhantal & tassa beats with the folk and Hindi lyrics that made Lets Sing & Dance and King of Suriname so popular."
    "Every onlooker is either a coward or a traitor." — Frantz Fanon

  12. #12
    JA Soca Ambassador socapineman is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bklyn
    Posts
    10,013
    Credits
    108,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawall View Post
    Not so impressed by the soca. Guyanese artists have been mirroring the lame jump up soca that has been coming out of T&T instead of creating their own sound. The chutney is much more interesting.
    Download: 2HOPE2HYPE - Soca-ing Crazy Mix HERE

    Huh.....are you for real ?
    Koction Riddim...GT, We waiting for you to Buss again in 2011!

  13. #13
    JA Soca Ambassador socapineman is offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Bklyn
    Posts
    10,013
    Credits
    108,260
    Let me help you with some more...GT soca format is more like the Bajan Era....from '95-2001......with mellow tune that Alison Edwin, etc... put out !


    Vanilla Roll It



    Wucking It - Big Red




    Vanilla - All Night Long

    Last edited by socapineman; 09-28-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •