Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Asa Banton - the next big thing

Credits

Asa Banton - the next big thing

I mean this guy is a hit machine right now. He is and has been consistent for at least three years. He is at the top of the bouyon game, he is constantly touring, has the french/north west indies locked.

I mean he is ticking all the right boxes. Will he follow in the footsteps of people like Skinny, Killa, Tall Pree etc? I feel like him and by extention bouyon is prime to make a major inpact in the south very soon!

Credits
    Unfortunately he is not going to have a major impact in the south until he can establish himself and become a household name in T&T like Skinny, Killa and Tallpree have done.

I think the fact that DA Carnival is the same time as T&T Carnival is a major obstacle to him and other DA artists breaking into the T&T market.
    They all need to do collabs with the top T&T soca artists to get over this major obstacle so at least there will be someone in T&T to push and market their song if they wish to concentrate just on performing at DA Carnival.

PS:
    I believe Bouyon already crossed over to T&T in the "Balance Batty" days of the late 1990's but folks in T&T just viewed it back then as uptempo soca with a slightly different twist and most still do.
    Catch me as Soca PhD Every Saturday 2-4pm GMT
    On www.GenesisRadio.co.uk (91.6FM);
    Every Tueday 6-8pm & Friday 8-10pm GMT
    On www.HavitLive.co.uk (99.1FM);
    www.facebook.com/socaphd
    email: projampro@yahoo.co.uk

Hailing from Trinidad & Tobago and very proud of it!!
    Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!
    Together We Aspire & Together We Achieve!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Socapro View Post
    Unfortunately he is not going to have a major impact in the south until he can establish himself and become a household name in T&T like Skinny, Killa and Tallpree have done.

I think the fact that DA Carnival is the same time as T&T Carnival is a major obstacle to him and other DA artists breaking into the T&T market.
    They all need to do collabs with the top T&T soca artists to get over this major obstacle so at least there will be someone in T&T to push and market their song if they wish to concentrate just on performing at DA Carnival.

PS:
    I believe Bouyon already crossed over to T&T in the "Balance Batty" days of the late 1990's but folks in T&T just viewed it back then as uptempo soca with a slightly different twist and most still do.
    Pro you should know better, look at how long Skinny graft before he get hi big break! Killa to. Skinny first big hit was solo and it crossed over, likewise Tall Pree and Killa - and man others. Its usually after they get the massive hit that someone from trini will jump on a remix.

The DA Carnival ting is of no relevance for two main reasons (+plus an example)

1) The crowd we attract is very different from T&T, we are mostly North Caribbean (Antiguans, VI, St Martin etc) and French Caribbean.

2) Carnival is not our main event - Creole festival is. Its much bigger, has a lot more tourist, more user friendly, more regional artists etc.

3) Skinny Banton has crossed over and his carnival is the exact same time as T&T and is a lot more relevant to Trini than ours

Dominica also does not have as many shows in comparism to T&T so I dont think that will be an issue if the artist is in demand in T&T.

He doesn't need a collab as his music stands for itself... but Asa is in a position to easily command a collab. He seems to have a good marketing team as it is, so I'm sure they are knowledgeable enough to make links in Trini, Grenada etc when they are ready to

Balance batty is not relevant, that was then, this is now. Bouyon is very different now than it was then. Bouyon had not even been labeled Bouyon when balance batty was released. Bouyon is now an independent genre with a whole army of artists/bands pushing it forward.

Credits

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by bhalistix View Post
    Whats your opinion? Dont wait for someone else to express one for you to piggy back on!

Think for yourself and state your opinon!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Vye Negre View Post
    I mean this guy is a hit machine right now. He is and has been consistent for at least three years. He is at the top of the bouyon game, he is constantly touring, has the french/north west indies locked.

I mean he is ticking all the right boxes. Will he follow in the footsteps of people like Skinny, Killa, Tall Pree etc? I feel like him and by extention bouyon is prime to make a major inpact in the south very soon!
    I disagree, he is lyrically weak.
    He is like the Rick Rock of Bouyon, he has the voice, and the flow, once his writting picks up he will be game changer.

Credits

Question

Never ever heard of him.
    Man ah Barbeerian bound tuh be by de bar beer in meh hand beastly cold.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneshot View Post
    I disagree, he is lyrically weak.
    He is like the Rick Rock of Bouyon, he has the voice, and the flow, once his writting picks up he will be game changer.
    Hmmm... I can kinda see why you would say that... but he is generating hits! And as we both know, bouyon is a 'Chant based' genre so...

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious saga View Post
    Never ever heard of him.
    I'm sure you will very soon. in the mean time I think some of his songs are posted in the bouyon 2015 thread. or just youtube asa banton

Credits
    What hit? Maybe you should have given an example of one of the "HITS" which you felt could have propelled him to a regional success, but i guess we have to go on search for that ourselves. DA

that secret ingredient that launches a soca/bouyon/zouk artist into the next tier of success is very elusive, who is to say that ASA doesn't possess it. Time will tell.....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious saga View Post
    Never ever heard of him.
    Notorious Saga is speaking on behalf of 99% of Trinis as Asa is yet to have a single hit song in T&T much less to follow it up and eventually become a household name like Skinny Fabulous, Mr. Killer or Tallpree.

Skinny Banton is not yet a household name in T&T despite his one big hit and him being born in Trinidad but he could become a household name if he can follow-up "Soak It Good" with a another hit song that is just as big.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Land of Calypso, Steelband, Limbo, Parang, Rapso, Chutney-Soca, Soca, Jamoo, Panjazz and the Biggest, Best & Most Influential Caribbean Carnival in the World with no apology!

Credits
    Notorious Saga is speaking on behalf of 99% of Trinis as Asa is yet to have a single hit song in T&T much less to follow it up and eventually become a household name like Skinny Fabulous, Mr. Killer or Tallpree.

Skinny Banton is not yet a household name in T&T despite his one big hit and him being born in Trinidad but he could become a household name if he can follow-up "Soak It Good" with a another hit song that is just as big.
    WHO said he was??? We all know trini always the last to get on someone band wagon, i have told you that 100000 times already. You trini are ignorant to anything outside of trini once an artist has done his thing (tallpree, skinny fab, Mr. Killa) and establish themselves in the rest of the caribbean you'll does jump on their band wagon like you'll make dem. You seem to have the ridiculous notion that trini does make soca artist. If that was indeed true you would do more than recycle the same artist for the past 15 yrs.

Credits
    WHO said he was??? We all know trini always the last to get on someone band wagon, i have told you that 100000 times already. You trini are ignorant to anything outside of trini once an artist has done his thing (tallpree, skinny fab, Mr. Killa) and establish themselves in the rest of the caribbean you'll does jump on their band wagon like you'll make dem. You seem to have the ridiculous notion that trini does make soca artist. If that was indeed true you would do more than recycle the same artist for the past 15 yrs.
    Don't get so hyper sensitive my love, I simply pointed out some facts.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Credits
    Don't get so hyper sensitive my love, I simply pointed out some facts.

i simply pointed out the inaccuracy of your so called facts.

Credits
    i simply pointed out the inaccuracy of your so called facts.
    Nope you didn't. All you did was get your panties in a twist for no reason as you usually do.

You did not refute anything that I posted in the post that you quoted.
    www.facebook.com/socaphd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast