Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Weekly photography project

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by LB View Post
    Question: Are the photos being posted before anyone edits them in photoshop/lightroom, etc.? Just checking to see if we are looking at photos "apple to apples".

I am not using any editing software right now because I want to understand light and the settings on my camera better.
    Everything I post is unedited. Haven't learned photoshop as yet.
    Our Queen went to sleep, her people left to weep....in song she lives on.

Long Live the Queen!

Totee lickin shotz Bajan_bedroom_bully's Avatar Bajan_bedroom_bully is offline
    Credits
    Nice pics everyone! When I came back to check the site was down..

LB I agree with Chinks, I like the first picture more, I actually really really like that pic. Can't wait to see more of ya pics.

I had a question though, I noticed you said you used a faster shutter speed in the second photo... assuming the lighting conditions stayed the same, using a faster shutter speed should make the photo darker, but its brighter... unless you used a wider aperture (lower f-stop number) or higher ISO in the second .

So...(as I'm writing this it feels like its getting long winded)... on the first photo you could have increased the aperture (lower f-stop #) which produces more of the shallow depth of field you want. So to get that Bokeh/buttery background lower ya f-stop # as far as it can go and step from the subject and zoom in. I'm curious to see our camera data...

Re shaky hands... lock your elbows into your body, should help a little, although below certain shutter speeds you really can't hand hold the camera

Credits
    Took me a good 5 minutes to figure out ya pic Ingram, I'm a little slow today. The reflection was a good idea, wish those lane dividers weren't in the pool tho.

LR what did you take your pics with?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajan_bedroom_bully View Post
    Took me a good 5 minutes to figure out ya pic Ingram, I'm a little slow today. The reflection was a good idea, wish those lane dividers weren't in the pool tho.

LR what did you take your pics with?
    yes king..

lane dividers..

5 minutes!!

why so long??
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingram_Gordon View Post
    yes king..

lane dividers..

5 minutes!!

why so long??
    lol... that is the brilliance of the photo! It made me sit and ponder... at first I didn't see or understand it was a pool, then it came to me.

Credits
    lol... that is the brilliance of the photo! It made me sit and ponder... at first I didn't see or understand it was a pool, then it came to me.
    ok...

my mind was over revving just now with the statement and not consider that persons have not seen the full album by trying to find the root folder of the pics.. But i just remembered i never linked the album, so that couldnt be done.. my bad
    Dragon IG :: http://instagram.com/islandmixusa

Credits

Thumbs up

Ok guys.....

Really like how everyone seems enthused, next round of photos are due this coming Monday (2/11/2013). Please keep in mind only one is mandatory, but feel free to post as many as your heart desires.

I say we just keep the information limited to:

- Aperture
    - Shutter speed
    - ISO
    - Brief descriptor about what we liked and or tried to capture

It's still early, so no need to get bogged down in too many technicals just yet. This is to ensure the project remains fun.

And the following week (2/18/2013)...will be our first themed project.

KEEP SHOOTING!

Long Live the Queen!

LB
    Credits
    Nice pics everyone! When I came back to check the site was down..

LB I agree with Chinks, I like the first picture more, I actually really really like that pic. Can't wait to see more of ya pics.

I had a question though, I noticed you said you used a faster shutter speed in the second photo... assuming the lighting conditions stayed the same, using a faster shutter speed should make the photo darker, but its brighter... unless you used a wider aperture (lower f-stop number) or higher ISO in the second .

So...(as I'm writing this it feels like its getting long winded)... on the first photo you could have increased the aperture (lower f-stop #) which produces more of the shallow depth of field you want. So to get that Bokeh/buttery background lower ya f-stop # as far as it can go and step from the subject and zoom in. I'm curious to see our camera data...

Re shaky hands... lock your elbows into your body, should help a little, although below certain shutter speeds you really can't hand hold the camera

Thanks Triple B!

Lord knows, shutter speed # is one of those things that doesnt click in my head. lol I tend to think of fast and slow shutter speed backwards to what it really is so you are right.

I had to go check the settings to make sure:

1st Picture
    ISO 400
    f 2.8
    1/100

2nd picture
    ISO 400
    f 5
    1/100
    ~ If you make the mountain any bigger you wont be able to move it later

Credits
    Thanks Triple B!

Lord knows, shutter speed # is one of those things that doesnt click in my head. lol I tend to think of fast and slow shutter speed backwards to what it really is so you are right.

I had to go check the settings to make sure:

1st Picture
    ISO 400
    f 2.8
    1/100

2nd picture
    ISO 400
    f 5
    1/100
    That's how it is for me with aperture. Sometimes, I have to pause and think aloud before choosing my setting. lol

Long Live the Queen!

LB
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinks View Post
    That's how it is for me with aperture. Sometimes, I have to pause and think aloud before choosing my setting. lol
    And I still typed wrong the speed was 1/60 on the 2nd picture but I increased the f-stop.

lawd my head hurts now. lol

Credits
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

mi style still sharp .....u a A-Minor and dem a B-Flat

Credits
    Never waste your time trying to explain who you are to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

Credits
    interesting pic from my window today

Velvet Glove. Iron Fist

LB
    Credits
    Decided to play with contrasting lighting today.

My attempt was to make the oranges look like they were floating in a sea of blackness. I shot this again at the front door with early afternoon sun. I used a diffuser on the door and then added a foam reflector on the right to deflect the light back to the fruit.

Once again, its not exactly what I had in my mind's eye but close. I tried every white balance setting on my camera to help off set the contrast between the orange and the black. In this case the two best settings were fluorescent 1 and fluorescent 2 and not the fine or shade setting I thought would work best.

This idea I will have to keep trying in the future. I definitely need a tripod to eliminate the bit of hand shake I see.

Settings on both:
    ISO 200
    shutter 1/125
    f 2.8

White Balance Setting: fluorescent 1 and fluorescent 2

Credits
    Decided to play with contrasting lighting today.

My attempt was to make the oranges look like they were floating in a sea of blackness. I shot this again at the front door with early afternoon sun. I used a diffuser on the door and then added a foam reflector on the right to deflect the light back to the fruit.

Once again, its not exactly what I had in my mind's eye but close. I tried every white balance setting on my camera to help off set the contrast between the orange and the black. In this case the two best settings were fluorescent 1 and fluorescent 2 and not the fine or shade setting I thought would work best.

This idea I will have to keep trying in the future. I definitely need a tripod to eliminate the bit of hand shake I see.

Settings on both:
    ISO 200
    shutter 1/125
    f 2.8

fluorescent 1 and fluorescent 2
    Hey mi sista,

I prefer the oranges in #2, something about the color looks more natural/real. The 1st photo, the color of the oranges seem just a tad brighter.

Long Live the Queen!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast