Thread: Bandleader Choy Aming is Dead

Gladiator

Bandleader Choy Aming is Dead

Bandleader Choy Aming is dead

Bandleader Choy Aming is dead : TNTInsider

Aming, who was in his 80s, was a bandleader in the heady era of the 1940s when there were great bands like Bob Wilson and the Wilsonians, Sel Duncan, John Buddy Williams, Fitz Vaughn Bryan, Johnny Gomez, Tom Durham, Norman Tex Williams et al. That was a time when the presence of the United States marine base at Chaguaramas gave a boost to show business.

Port of Spain became one of the Caribbean flesh pots with lots of night clubs, particularly along Wrightson Road which was nicknamed, “The Gaza Strip”.

In this milieu Choy Aming formed his band in the 1940s. It was said that famed London bandleader Edmundo Ros, who was born in Port of Spain, played with his band.

Aming, a drummer, was usually introduced by the master of ceremonies, as “Choy Aming, his drums and his orchestra”..

In 1961, Aming opened a popular nightclub “Penthouse” on the top floor of the Salvatori Building, then the tallest structure in the country. Link to the rest Bandleader Choy Aming is dead : TNTInsider

Credits
    may he Rest In Peace...
    de ORIGINAL ...

"What others think about you is none of your business"...

-unknown.

Credits
    Yet another iconic figure of TnT's cultural history we have lost no doubt taking much of his knowledge of that cultural history with him without being properly recorded let alone honoured

R.I.P.
    Create your own university; develop and encourage a culture of critical thinking and action

Gladiator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananci_7 View Post
    Yet another iconic figure of TnT's cultural history we have lost no doubt taking much of his knowledge of that cultural history with him without being properly recorded let alone honoured

R.I.P.
    I am surprised myself